2018-2019 AUS Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
From left field (I'm being a bit sarcastic here, maybe...) - cancel the team's participation in the playoffs and merge them into one and send them to FISU as a penance for their actions. Force them to see the other player as a person, a brother, a teammate. Build bridges not walls. Turn a negative into a positive.

Probably kill each other, but sometimes the crazy ideas work.

[Three teams get a by; UNB, SMU & UdeM]
[UPEI & DAL play in the first round to determine team #4]
[UNB vs the winner of UPEI/DAL and SMU vs UdeM]

Could be an idea if the AUS didn't waive their participation as the conference representing Canada at FISU games. It has since been opened up to non-playoff teams also in CanadaWest and the OUA. (RMC etc..)
IMO, I think you run with the suspensions and keep the format the same. I'm sure that some players may get picked up if they are knocked out early from the AUS playoffs?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Geez, this is a non-starter. Drummer said "a bit sarcastic" and some peeps are acting like it could be possible. As far as picking up players, it would depend on when the team has to be submitted and visas and stuff. Drummer would have more on that and there is a Thread for the FISU games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just looked at X’s roster page and they have a Giovanni Akeson listed...he played junior B for Antigonish in the NSJHL the last two seasons. I wondered if they might try to find someone to fill out that last roster spot.

EDIT - Looks like Akeson is the team’s student therapist as well. Might be pulling double duty tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Moncton over Acadia tonight 2-1. If Les Aigles can upset SMU on Saturday they will jump into third place. I don't see X getting by UPEI. They played as well as they could tonight but UNB took their foot off the pedal in the third. It could have been more lopsided.

Huskies have lost three in a row so they'll have something to play for.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I watched some of the UdeM- ACA game. Very entertaining. Both goalies were great. Brassard is supposed to start for SMU on Sat. If he doesn't, I can see UdeM winning that game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just looked at X’s roster page and they have a Giovanni Akeson listed...he played junior B for Antigonish in the NSJHL the last two seasons. I wondered if they might try to find someone to fill out that last roster spot.

EDIT - Looks like Akeson is the team’s student therapist as well. Might be pulling double duty tonight.
Am I missing something (or I am counting wrong), but is Akeson not X's 23rd player? I went through the roster and it seemed that everyone that they have listed on their roster had played in a game this season. There has to be a mistake somewhere, I assume that they had one spot left to get Akeson into the lineup.
Akeson was in the game tonight, but I don't think that he had that many shifts, I saw him come on and then right back off in the third

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
As far as I can tell they had 22 skaters on their roster but Cuomo and Wheaton hadn’t played so only 20 players had dressed for them this year going into tonight...leaving them the two spots they used on Cuomo and Akeson.

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
As far as I can tell they had 22 skaters on their roster but Cuomo and Wheaton hadn’t played so only 20 players had dressed for them this year going into tonight...leaving them the two spots they used on Cuomo and Akeson.
That makes more sense, when I looked, I wasn't looking on the right hand column, I was just looking under recent games, thinking that it was the players recent games. I am a little surprised that they would put Akeson (or any player) in just for the sake of getting them in. Obviously Wheaton will not be playing this year.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Here you go, haven't gone through the stats to see who is ahead of who.
  • Win ratio in head to head games
  • Most points in head-to-head games, including all points earned in standings (wins, overtimes losses, and shootout losses) in head-to-head games being considered.
  • Most wins in regulation
  • Most wins overall
  • Goal ratio in head-to-head games
  • Goal ratio in all regular season games
  • Coin toss by AUS Sport Chair
Didn't realize how possible that scenario could be, if Moncton were to tie St Mary's and UPEI beats St FX in regulation, then they would all end with 33 points.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just going through the season results, looks like St Fx would win the tie breaker, then it would be UPEI followed by Moncton.
St FX was 6 wins 4 losses vs Moncton and UPEI (assuming that they lose tonight to UPEI)
UPEI and Moncton were both 4 and 6 vs the head-to-head teams. So they go to a secondary tie breaker, and UPEI had 3 wins vs Moncton. I am a little more awake today, so I think that is correct!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Just going through the season results, looks like St Fx would win the tie breaker, then it would be UPEI followed by Moncton.
St FX was 6 wins 4 losses vs Moncton and UPEI (assuming that they lose tonight to UPEI)
UPEI and Moncton were both 4 and 6 vs the head-to-head teams. So they go to a secondary tie breaker, and UPEI had 3 wins vs Moncton. I am a little more awake today, so I think that is correct!

The intro to his topic is - with a SFX lose, Moncton lose in OT and a UPEI win (which matches-up with SFX lose) in the last game of the season (tonight), this creates a 3-way tie for 3rd (all teams with 33pts).

Correct - SFX wins the 3-way tie-breaker (rule 1: Win Ratio) with a 6-4 record and a ratio of 6/4=1.5 vs PEI and Moncton at 4/6=0.66

Start over again with the remaining teams since one team was removed.

Correct - PEI wins the 2-way tie-breaker (but using rule 1: Win Ratio instead of rule 2) with a record of 3-2 and a ratio of 3/2= 1.5 vs Moncton at 2/3=0.66

Correct - If we get a 3-way tie, the teams would finish 3=SFX, 4=PEI and 5=Moncton

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So with the new 5 game season series, the tie-breaker between two teams is essentially whoever wins at least 3 games (win ratio)...there really is no need for anything else.

With the the old 4 game season series you could have each team with two wins each and you would need to go to further tie-breakers.

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If only SFX and Moncton tie - SFX has the tie-breaker
- Moncton wins and SFX gets 1-point they are each at 34 (UPEI is at 33)
- Moncton gets 1-point and SFX loses (in regulation), however, this creates a 3-way tie at 33 and different rules apply (see above)

If only SFX and UPEI tie - SFX has the tie-breaker
- UPEI wins their game over SFX & Moncton wins or losses in regulation, SFX and UPEI are each at 33 (Moncton either remained 32 or improved to 34).
- UPEI wins their game over SFX and Moncton loses in OT, this creates a 3-way tie at 33 and different rules apply (see above)

If only UPEI and Moncton tie - UPEI has the tie-breaker
- UPEI loses in OT and Moncton loses in regulation, they are each at 32 (SFX is at 35)
- UPEI wins in OT and Moncton loses in OT, they are each at 33 (SFX is at 34)
- if UPEI wins (in regulation) and Moncton loses in OT, this creates a 3-way tie at 33 and different rules apply (see above)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU has lost 3 in row and I would think that they would want to go into the bye with something to build on .I expect them to pick it up against a Moncton team that has a lot to play for in the standings.
One another note, they are much healthier than in the past few seasons. Just 2 out of the lineup.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
St FX has two other new guys in the lineup tonight?? Now in this case, I don’t understand how that’s allowed as that would clearly put them over the 22 player cap. Did the league just make up new rules to allow this?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
St FX has two other new guys in the lineup tonight?? Now in this case, I don’t understand how that’s allowed as that would clearly put them over the 22 player cap. Did the league just make up new rules to allow this?

Yes - they are over the 22 man limit by two. Foil and I asked Andy tonight at the UNB-DAL game and he said that there was a league conference call where StFX was provided ‘relief ‘ and it was approved.

Not sure why there was no press release - it would have been far less confusing had they released one as many of us on here know the rules quite well and then there is this change from left field.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I mean, I know those two guys aren’t going to make a difference (and that’s probably why it was approved and the other teams didn’t raise much of a stink)....but what is the purpose of having rules if they aren’t going to be enforced? Especially given the reason they were short was their own doing, not because of injuries.

Could you imagine if Moncton won tonight but St. FX also somehow won? Moncton would have every right to be furious...fortunately it didn’t come to that.

Seriously, this league sometimes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Prov1X

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Acadia/X in the first round...hope the rinks are packed for each game.

I’m excited that we will see either Moncton or UPEI play for a chance to go to the UCup for the first time in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad