2018-2019 AUS Thread

Eastern Scout

Feb 4, 2019
Awful lot of violin-playing here for these poor AUS teams that have to adhere to a different set of roster rules than the other conferences. Tell you what, the OUA will happily adhere to the roster cap, if the AUS adopts the $4500 annual AFA cap.

For decades, the recruiting playing field has been tilted drastically to the east coast. And, that's no fault of the AUS; more power to those teams for taking advantage of scholarship rules elsewhere. There are loads of different rules between conferences, in an array of sports. But please, save us all the woe-is-us junk about the roster cap. Every year, the AUS has 5-6 of the best dozen teams in the country.

The roster cap is directly related to the scholarship differences. It is definitely the player's choice to be a part of a taxi squad for three years and work his way into the lineup, but the free ride tuition doesn't hurt either.

As AdamMcg83 points out... way more info to be considered than just the specific AUS roster cap. Reality is... Roster Cap is an AUS rule because it directly effected the parity within the league first and foremost. (Yes... it also extends Nationally when AUS teams are at the U Cup as well... but this is secondary). Improved balance, especially with the quality of Teams 4 through 7 was what the schools were looking for. Example: Dal and UdeM struggled to compete year after year and UNB had 8 players sitting in the stands who would have been the TOP players in these programs.
(People forget... doesn't mean those players would have chose those schools & UNB was player rich because they built a revolving recruit following over time with unprecedented success.) Nonetheless... this was the argument that teams/schools hitched their wagon to. Breaking point came... rule added. Period.

Agreed the AUS administration is misguided, misinformed and often acts with immediate knee jerk reactions to specific situations, without fully analyzing the total repercussions of the actions. That said, wondering if those who are upset/disagree with the special exemption provided to X have looked at the alternative? The alternative would likely have been 2 forfeited games. (Lost gate/revenue at UNB and UPEI + a bunch of playing/competitive implications)

I would assume (this is a risk with the AUS) that the exemption granted to X applies solely to those games scheduled on Feb 8 & 9. Meaning any players added to the roster in addition to the 22 player cap are not eligible to compete outside of Feb.8/9. They aren't available for the playoffs... and X isn't gaining a competitive advantage over the rest of the league moving forward.

Without the exemption... St. FX could have claimed (and this would have been 100% supported at all levels/including in the courts if need be) they would have to forfeit the 2 games due to concern for the safety of the remaining players. The lack of players (doesn't matter the reason... self inflicted or not) does pose a significant risk to the players in the lineup (these are players who were NOT suspended). Lots of posts referencing player cap and the "risk" associated with having a few injuries. If that is true when a team can dress 15-18 skaters... What is the risk in icing 10 or less skaters? At this level of hockey, to those 8-10 players... the risk is significant. X was already dealing with injury issues prior to the suspensions. The "relief" was requested as an alternative... to forfeiture.

If X had to forfeit...
1) What does that do to the "competitive balance" of the league standings and playoffs?
(a) UPEI granted 2 free points - UdeM would/should have an issue with this as this could impact playoff seedings/opponents and home ice advantages.
(b) Would eliminate the 3 team tie scenario & potential playoff seedings.
(c) UNB - would miss out on the opportunity to "stick" it to their hated rival (especially the UNB fans!)
(This is just for some of you on this forum!) :naughty:
(d) PLAYOFFS Balance:
- UdeM plays 2 tough games on the final weekend. Their 1st rd opponent - gets Saturday off to rest for a Wed. start.
- Acadia plays shorthanded on Wed/Fri. Very taxing to the rostered players. Their 1st rd opponent - gets to rest (both suspended and non suspended players). Does this provide them with a competitive advantage for their series? Can be argued it does on some level.
(E) MOST IMPORTANTLY (from AUS perspective)... What kind of "appearance" does this leave the league with? Think about it... 1 of the teams involved in the incident that garners National and international continuous attention has to forfeit their final 2 games. Does this add or subtract from the fire?!?! Does it increase or decrease the media coverage?!?!?

Any true fan of the AUS and any of it's member schools would agree... this incident needs cold water and not gasoline thrown into this fire right now!

Understanding the basis for most of the opinions on here... and I personally agree with some of the points and logic listed. Unfortunately... when you consider the alternative... decisions and opinions may change.

I know for me - I believe if the cap is a rule, it is a rule and teams should be held to it. But if I was on the conference call and had a vote in the matter... I would vote to extend "special circumstances" status to X for Feb. 8/9 games. Not as a support to St. FX... but in a "best interest of the AUS" and all of the schools in the conference. In this case, the alternative is a far less desired one and has a far greater impact for more than just one school/team than St. FX.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
As AdamMcg83 points out... way more info to be considered than just the specific AUS roster cap. Reality is... Roster Cap is an AUS rule because it directly effected the parity within the league first and foremost. (Yes... it also extends Nationally when AUS teams are at the U Cup as well... but this is secondary). Improved balance, especially with the quality of Teams 4 through 7 was what the schools were looking for. Example: Dal and UdeM struggled to compete year after year and UNB had 8 players sitting in the stands who would have been the TOP players in these programs.
(People forget... doesn't mean those players would have chose those schools & UNB was player rich because they built a revolving recruit following over time with unprecedented success.) Nonetheless... this was the argument that teams/schools hitched their wagon to. Breaking point came... rule added. Period.

Agreed the AUS administration is misguided, misinformed and often acts with immediate knee jerk reactions to specific situations, without fully analyzing the total repercussions of the actions. That said, wondering if those who are upset/disagree with the special exemption provided to X have looked at the alternative? The alternative would likely have been 2 forfeited games. (Lost gate/revenue at UNB and UPEI + a bunch of playing/competitive implications)

I would assume (this is a risk with the AUS) that the exemption granted to X applies solely to those games scheduled on Feb 8 & 9. Meaning any players added to the roster in addition to the 22 player cap are not eligible to compete outside of Feb.8/9. They aren't available for the playoffs... and X isn't gaining a competitive advantage over the rest of the league moving forward.

Without the exemption... St. FX could have claimed (and this would have been 100% supported at all levels/including in the courts if need be) they would have to forfeit the 2 games due to concern for the safety of the remaining players. The lack of players (doesn't matter the reason... self inflicted or not) does pose a significant risk to the players in the lineup (these are players who were NOT suspended). Lots of posts referencing player cap and the "risk" associated with having a few injuries. If that is true when a team can dress 15-18 skaters... What is the risk in icing 10 or less skaters? At this level of hockey, to those 8-10 players... the risk is significant. X was already dealing with injury issues prior to the suspensions. The "relief" was requested as an alternative... to forfeiture.

If X had to forfeit...
1) What does that do to the "competitive balance" of the league standings and playoffs?
(a) UPEI granted 2 free points - UdeM would/should have an issue with this as this could impact playoff seedings/opponents and home ice advantages.
(b) Would eliminate the 3 team tie scenario & potential playoff seedings.
(c) UNB - would miss out on the opportunity to "stick" it to their hated rival (especially the UNB fans!)
(This is just for some of you on this forum!) :naughty:
(d) PLAYOFFS Balance:
- UdeM plays 2 tough games on the final weekend. Their 1st rd opponent - gets Saturday off to rest for a Wed. start.
- Acadia plays shorthanded on Wed/Fri. Very taxing to the rostered players. Their 1st rd opponent - gets to rest (both suspended and non suspended players). Does this provide them with a competitive advantage for their series? Can be argued it does on some level.
(E) MOST IMPORTANTLY (from AUS perspective)... What kind of "appearance" does this leave the league with? Think about it... 1 of the teams involved in the incident that garners National and international continuous attention has to forfeit their final 2 games. Does this add or subtract from the fire?!?! Does it increase or decrease the media coverage?!?!?

Any true fan of the AUS and any of it's member schools would agree... this incident needs cold water and not gasoline thrown into this fire right now!

Understanding the basis for most of the opinions on here... and I personally agree with some of the points and logic listed. Unfortunately... when you consider the alternative... decisions and opinions may change.

I know for me - I believe if the cap is a rule, it is a rule and teams should be held to it. But if I was on the conference call and had a vote in the matter... I would vote to extend "special circumstances" status to X for Feb. 8/9 games. Not as a support to St. FX... but in a "best interest of the AUS" and all of the schools in the conference. In this case, the alternative is a far less desired one and has a far greater impact for more than just one school/team than St. FX.
IMO, the roster cap isn't a problem, unless injuries put the advancing teams at a disadvantage at Nationals. Most likely not, but could happen.
IMO, It's the league office that is all over the map. I would think that any further suspensions would need attention before game #1.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Since the Cap came in, to hurt UNB, they have won a dozen or so AUS titles and a bunch of CIS Championships. So, I guess it worked.
You are correct, it really hasn't hurt UNB, I should have phrased my comment better, the INTENT was there to limit UNB.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
To me this isn’t about UNB at all. The league set a hard roster cap. It should stay that way. The AUS brass is uncanny in how they operate in many ways..maybe that is where accountability is most needed. They have looked pretty weak this past week.

But Eastern raises the same point I thought of...if X had to default that affects gate and has playoff implications.

At same time X made their own bed....what happens if one of those dressed did something stupid?

Great thing about this forum we can all debate it in good humour with one another!

Reactions: AdamMcg83

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe the reason the AUS did allow an exception was because of the health and added risk associated with playing that short....but, if that’s the case, why not just put something out saying what they are doing? Did they just hope no one would notice?

Honestly, the lack of transparency is what is most annoying. Just like when they used to hide suspensions/discipline...at least that has changed.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

It shows there are consequences to your actions.

I don't buy the 'player at risk' story.

I also don't think they would forfeit - there is a hefty fine for an intention forfeit and to do it twice in a row would likely lead to even bigger issues for X (suspension?). SMU wanted to forfeit a game vs UNB in the early 90s - there was a snow storm happening and they were down 6-0 after the 1st period and wanted to leave (they actually started to get undressed). UNB's AD, Kevin Dickie, had to read them the riot act and outline the fine - they stayed but received a delay-of-game penalty to start the 2nd period).

Friday - 12 skaters and 2 goalies (Akeson added - player 22)
Saturday - 12 skaters and 2 goalies (Akeson & Difruscia out, Rehill & Bonaparte in - players 23 & 24)

The other teams know what's going on and it's only for a single weekend - I'm sure they would have survived.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Saturday - 12 skaters and 2 goalies (Akeson & Difruscia out, Rehill & Bonaparte in - players 23 & 24)

The other teams know what's going on and it's only for a single weekend - I'm sure they would have survived.
I noticed Difruscia being helped off of the ice at the end of the game, I assume that he got injured on the blocked shot, only time I can think of, it did look like he was favouring his leg. I doubt that he got injured from a body check, as there was not many Friday night LOL.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I thought UNB really took it easy on X in terms of physicality on Friday. I assume UPEI did the same on Saturday going by the penalty minutes.
I wonder if X would have done the same if the scenario was reversed?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So I know that the controversy over the brawl has been talked about ad naseum here but I just have to bring up a conversation I had with my sister. She knows a parent of one of the X players. He told her exactly what was allegedly said. Very disgusting. If true that player should be gone from the program. Period.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Post mortem on Dalhousie. This team has to get faster. I know what they were going for. Since they can't really compete for the highly skilled recruits they decided to go with a physical advantage. It just didn't work. The only bright spot was their goaltending. Hicks and Pickard could start with almost any team in the conference.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So I know that the controversy over the brawl has been talked about ad naseum here but I just have to bring up a conversation I had with my sister. She knows a parent of one of the X players. He told her exactly what was allegedly said. Very disgusting. If true that player should be gone from the program. Period.

We have a sister, a parent, a player and an allegation. That's a lot of loose ends. The other shoe will probably drop tomorrow IF there are further suspensions. Let's wait and see the results and perhaps then we can get the pitchforks and torches.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Post mortem on Dalhousie. This team has to get faster. I know what they were going for. Since they can't really compete for the highly skilled recruits they decided to go with a physical advantage. It just didn't work. The only bright spot was their goaltending. Hicks and Pickard could start with almost any team in the conference.

Agreed. Acadia also tried to go the size route and it didn't work for them. Not anymore in the AUS; it is all about speed now. Big guys are great on the cycle in the offensive zone or in front of the net, but you need to get the puck there first.

Reactions: Rob

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Well, round 2 of AUS suspensions are posted on the AUS hockey site. Acadia seems to have been hit much harder while Studnicka and Spears both escaped supplementary discipline, somehow?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Burns and Peddle get 8 more games each
Tremaine and Hoyles get 2 more each
Dave Stewart gets one game (didn't receive one initially)
Southam gets 5 more games
TJ Fergus gets 3 games
Loch Morrison get 5 more games
Kris MacDonald gets 2 games (didn't receive one initially)

Very surprised that Cormier got away with zero games. And surprised that Spears didn't get a game or two more.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Given the hefty suspensions laid down, I wonder if the AUS will release its own statement breaking down the reasoning and their insight

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The AUS has done what it needed to do here, which is to send a stern message to the coaches.

10 Games is roughly 1/4 of the season, and essentially takes them each out of the AUS Playoffs. That's a HUGE penalty for a Head Coach to not be able to run his program through the Playoffs. This is what coaches live for.

There will be no demand for further explanation. CIS Hockey remains a fringe sport, and this will go away quickly.

I wonder if the suspension means that they're not allowed on the ice for practice, either. Does anyone on here know?

I remain baffled by Acadia's insistence on playing victim with their statements.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Kris MacDonald was already suspended 1 game, but it was not shown on the original list. It was probably as a result of the UTube video. They may have got Stewart on the same thing. I wonder if the 2 game suspension included That game. Pretty hefty suspensions on both coaches. If your players want to jump the boards, it's hard to stop them all.

Edit: I don't think the coaches are allowed near the team, but I could be mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad