2018-2019 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think it’s also important to separate the fight itself and what actually precipitated the fight when it comes to the suspensions.

The fight itself really wasn’t THAT much crazier than some stuff we have seen in the past...maybe we haven’t seen games with over 300 PIM but we have seen games with over 200 PIM. It’s not like it was the Bruins going into the stands in ‘79 bad. So the suspensions for the fight itself should be pretty cut and dry based on the rule book and prior incidents. Sure, there may have been a few player’s actions missed but in general I think the league got these suspensions pretty spot-on and I don’t see much argument with them myself.

On the other hand, it’s the suspensions that will result from the stuff that led to the fight that are subjective. These are the ones that should be under the microscope and scrutinized....the league HAS to get these ones right.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddtFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I already said it on Twitter. When this is all done, I will be very surprised if Acadia's Rodney Southam plays another AUS hockey game. Acadia should really take the lead and suspend him permanently themselves, but it may come to the AUS to do it.

I am also of the opinion that Darren Burns is never going to coach again for Acadia. That, I think, will come from the Acadia University administration. Public and internal pressure will be on the Acadia president to do something. Even though AD Kevin Dickie's Sunday release makes it sound like they are digging in, feces flows down hill. The prez may be on the AD's back to do something, and like many other AD's in this situation, he could put Burns out the door to save his job.

Remember the alleged sexual assault by Ottawa in Thunder Bay? It was the uOttawa president who suspended the hockey team (which I thought was over-reaction at the time, and still believe) and fired the coach. The Acadia U prez is going to want to keep his job ...

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just reading this on twitter, there is some suggesting that the sexual comment that started this whole thing was not about shaming a survivor but about someone being accused of a sexual assault? Did this whole drama just take another twist?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I already said it on Twitter. When this is all done, I will be very surprised if Acadia's Rodney Southam plays another AUS hockey game. Acadia should really take the lead and suspend him permanently themselves, but it may come to the AUS to do it.

I am also of the opinion that Darren Burns is never going to coach again for Acadia. That, I think, will come from the Acadia University administration. Public and internal pressure will be on the Acadia president to do something. Even though AD Kevin Dickie's Sunday release makes it sound like they are digging in, feces flows down hill. The prez may be on the AD's back to do something, and like many other AD's in this situation, he could put Burns out the door to save his job.

Remember the alleged sexual assault by Ottawa in Thunder Bay? It was the uOttawa president who suspended the hockey team (which I thought was over-reaction at the time, and still believe) and fired the coach. The Acadia U prez is going to want to keep his job ...

Agree, I think Dickie will be pressured to release Burns as coach of Acadia. In fact, if Dickie has been aware of the allegations and hasn't done anything about it, then he also must shoulder the responsibility!
By the way, Acadia is hosting next years University Cup in Halifax.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to Currie, he was aware other universities have directed similar comments to St. FX players in the past.

This raises a couple questions:

1) Why didn’t anything come out of this before? I know he said the Acadia/X issues appeared to have been resolved, but what about the supposed comments from other schools?

2) Is Acadia taking the fall for something that other schools/players should be sharing the blame in as well?

Why do I get the impression the league is going to come out of this looking pretty bad too?

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Just reading this on twitter, there is some suggesting that the sexual comment that started this whole thing was not about shaming a survivor but about someone being accused of a sexual assault? Did this whole drama just take another twist?

Don't read too much into Twitter stuff. At the same time, be cautious about what WE do say here. There is a lot of background stuff which I'm not going to bring up. Suffice to say that WE don't want to Out anyone. We're on a bit of a slippery slope here. Maybe best to limit our comments on the suspensions and ramifications for the two teams.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Don't read too much into Twitter stuff. At the same time, be cautious about what WE do say here. There is a lot of background stuff which I'm not going to bring up. Suffice to say that WE don't want to Out anyone. We're on a bit of a slippery slope here. Maybe best to limit our comments on the suspensions and ramifications for the two teams.
I didn't want to write what was being said, but it was being reported by a news reporter, and I believe that it was a direct quote from Phil Currie. Regardless, I still don't think anything like that should be considered "chirping" or accepted as that.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I honestly think that the AUS will come out looking the worst of all, they should have never let the schools deal with it, they should have been the first to deal with it, and if the schools wanted to add on, then so be it.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
So now of course we have conflicting narratives from the two teams. This isn't going to end pretty.

Acadia keeps digging itself a deeper hole here. I'm not sure who (if anyone) is reviewing these press releases, but I'll guess it's not anybody with reasonable public relations expertise.

I'm not so sure the narratives conflict. Acadia acknowledges that inappropriate comments were made. What Acadia seems to be in conflict with here is the reality of the situation.

In one stunning paragraph they state that (1) the student-athlete made the comments and accepted responsibility / apologized, but (2) the comments were not made deliberately (what, exactly, does that mean?). I'm not sure how comments can be anything but deliberate. Misinterpreted or taken out of context, perhaps, but if the comments were close enough to such a context, they probably shouldn't be uttered anyways.

Acadia then proceeds to admit that there have been past issues with inappropriate comments, but seem to suggest that's somehow okay because it was a different person. Same program, same coaches, much of the roster intact, but nothing to see here because it was a different player.

I agree with Foyle that this is not going to end pretty.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I've never had a beef with Burns, but if he allowed this to continue (3 years??), than he created a monster that is going to bite him in the a...!

After all, there is tons of "chirping" in all games, with all teams, but this crosses the line.
The conversation caught on a fans video, between MacDonald (Acadia) and Peddle on the bench, was about as nasty as you can get.:mad:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Today I made a post in jest, suggesting that ACA and SFX be kicked out of the playoff picture and DAL inserted. This was a joke in response to some posters that thought the two programs be suspended and other draconian punishment.

It has come to my attention that my post did not sit well in some circles. I apologize to anyone who was offended by this. It was not my intent. Should I make a similar post in the future, I'll be sure to use the <sarcasm> font.:)

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Pretty quiet game, with nothing on the line for both teams. Almost like an exhibition game but with less intensity. You could see players on both sides with the opportunity for a hit kinda hold up. Very sensible. Not much push back from players in the blur paint. Flodell made several good saves while Potvin played his 4th game of the season. A lot of media at the game. Folks just wanna see the freak show. smh.....

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Over or under 35 minutes for Cook/Stevens/Needham tomorrow night?
I am sure that they are going to log some serious minutes, but do you run them all game, or try to keep some gas in the tank for the game in PEI Saturday night? X probably only needs a tie in either of the games (as they hold the tie breaker with Moncton) to secure third. Just looking at the standings, you would think that they would have the better chance vs UPEI, BUT, they have had UNB's number in the last two games...

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
NO. That could be taken as a slight against SFX. Also not fair to UdeM if SFX were to win/tie the game. SMU-ACA game was different, as both teams couldn't move up or down.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
NO. That could be taken as a slight against SFX. Also not fair to UdeM if SFX were to win/tie the game. SMU-ACA game was different, as both teams couldn't move up or down.
You do know UNB and X have a history don't you? You're assuming that UNB would feel bad if X felt slighted.

But seriously, you make a good point.
On the other hand, I don't see Gardiner calling off the dogs until UNB scores 10 goals. But the way Mann-Dixon has played them, they might be happy with just a few goals.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I am sure that they are going to log some serious minutes, but do you run them all game, or try to keep some gas in the tank for the game in PEI Saturday night? X probably only needs a tie in either of the games (as they hold the tie breaker with Moncton) to secure third. Just looking at the standings, you would think that they would have the better chance vs UPEI, BUT, they have had UNB's number in the last two games...
I think that the Army will light them up on Friday night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad