2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's so idiotic that the skate in the air element of the rule is still in place. It serves no purpose except to take away goals, even though that skate in the air isn't helping them score a goal 65 feet away.

I don't know why they're expanding the video review to begin with. They've come to the opposite conclusion that they should be. They should have way less video reviews, certainly for offsides. If it's a Duchene style offsides, either one of the officials or Toronto is gonna see that, and call the goal back. If they screw up that bad, they should be fired or reprimanded just like any other job.

As it is, with more video review, there's just more opportunities for somebody to screw it up. We've seen multiple times referees, and the War Room in Toronto themselves make the wrong call when reviewing a play.

Quit overthinking it, and just go back to letting the linesman determine offsides. Even if they miss a player who's offsides by a few inches, or even a foot, it's really not that big a deal.

Compared to the skill, athleticism, IQ, coaching, systems, chemistry and everything else that contributes to a goal being scored, being offsides by a few inches has almost no contribution. It's impact on the play is essentially nothing, while calling back a goal has a huge effect.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know some people have said that if the offside player has no impact on the play then the goal should stand but again where do you draw the line? It becomes very subjective and we are putting more grey area in the hands of the refs which IMO is not a good thing at all. As I said have a rule or don't...no in-between.

Since a player's skate being a few inches over the line has little to no effect on whether a goal is scored, leaving the subjective decision in the hands of the linesman, even though it's a grey area, shouldn't be a big deal.

Simply because if they get it wrong, it didn't really help them much if any to begin with, and there's a very good chance the plays will even out eventually anyway.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
While simultaneously being our best pick in Avalanche history.

That certainly factors into the despair as well. Used a 2nd round pick to draft a future Selke and Conn Smythe winner. Refused to give him a well deserved and fair raise because of internal logistical bullshit. Then proceeded to trade him for a bottom pairing dman, bottom 6 forward and some spare parts. I'm overall happy with the Avs' asset management over the years but the ROR saga was just dealt with horrendously.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not saying I disagree completely but if you allow a challenge you have to set an arbitrary boundary someplace right?

No I know. It’s just not in the “spirit of the rule” offsides is clearly to stop people just cherry picking in the opponents zone not stop play based on a player being 1/16 of an inch offsides. Like I said above there’s nothing to change really, just complaining to complain lol.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
**** these NHL GM's. The fact that they can't see how ridiculous the offside challenge is blows my mind.

Get that **** out of the game. It does NOTHING to help the game. You want to keep it in? Then make it egregious like the Duchene offside. Allow THOSE plays to be challenged. But a ticky-tack offside where a player's skate is a quarter of an inch in the air? Go ahead, let them challenge those, but if they fail, give them a double minor - not just a minor. See how much coaches will challenge, then.

Reactions: Grackle Party

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Who's cutting onions. Price is a great human being and I hope he stays in touch with the little dude off camera and won't even tell the media about it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
**** these NHL GM's. The fact that they can't see how ridiculous the offside challenge is blows my mind.

Get that **** out of the game. It does NOTHING to help the game. You want to keep it in? Then make it egregious like the Duchene offside. Allow THOSE plays to be challenged. But a ticky-tack offside where a player's skate is a quarter of an inch in the air? Go ahead, let them challenge those, but if they fail, give them a double minor - not just a minor. See how much coaches will challenge, then.
I dont always agree with you, but I do here. I would even put offside wrong challenges to major penalty status (i.e. 5min full no matter if scored on) to make coaches think long and hard on a challenge on offsides regarding the extremely marginal calls.
I actually have less of a problem with the new challenges, as long as it is regarding the play before the goal, and not going back until the previous whistle. It´s laughable in soccer when they go back 30 seconds to see if someone tugged a shirt or not in the build-up.

But I would rather go back to no challenges at all. Even if it would benefit the Sharks

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Friedman thinks Chevy took a haircut on the Trouba deal because he knew the cap was likely not going to hit the number everyone thought and had to deal him fast, and then re-sign his RFAs but quick. I still think that he's made some serious blunders the last two or so seasons. He was too conservative in some areas, too ambitious in others.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Great guy. Dude bought a house near a bar the Penguins players used to drink so that they would have a place to sleep at IIRC.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So, according to Chris Johnston from Sportsnet, apparently NHL GM's discussed removing offsides entirely at their meetings.

Not down with that. Why can't these ****ing morons just come to the agreement that the offside challenges are detrimental to the game, and get rid of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad