2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Is this really the level of understanding most nhl fans have regarding contracts?

It's mind blowing at times reading posts here.
I definitely don’t think the boys in the locker room are talking inflation and UFA years. I understand the simplicity of the statement I made tho. The end of the day it’s a contract I’m glad the avalanche aren’t signing

Reactions: Foxtail

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I needed to check the Leafs board with all the Marner crap going on. Safe to say I wasn’t disappointed and this is why I love this place.

Now let’s just hope it doesn’t happen with Mikko

Reactions: Flow and Foxtail

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I needed to check the Leafs board with all the Marner crap going on. Safe to say I wasn’t disappointed and this is why I love this place.

Now let’s just hope it doesn’t happen with Mikko

This stuff is getting so bizarre. Leaf fans just cant believe he isnt taking less to be apart of something special.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Is this really the level of understanding most nhl fans have regarding contracts?

It's mind blowing at times reading posts here.

Pretty sure he’s just using it as a stinger for emphasis on his opinion

You and others are reading way too hard into it

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Love Shero's take on offer sheets

Shero: I would bet you I don't know. And we say this every summer, too. I don't know. I really don't. I'd be just guessing, and I'm not a betting man, either. But I do know that if you're a team that has a cap situation ... I've been there, when I was in Pittsburgh, for a number of years. It's always in the back of your mind. You have to do your best to put yourself in the best possible situation. You're always thinking about that.
We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can someone explain to me how/why these "unconditional waivers" even matter? Is it just the difference between a team being able to afford the slight chance that someone else would be dumb enough to take the contract off their hands or something?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can someone explain to me how/why these "unconditional waivers" even matter? Is it just the difference between a team being able to afford the slight chance that someone else would be dumb enough to take the contract off their hands or something?

I would assume so.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Basically they are the waiver designed specifically for buying out players. A couple differences between unconditional and regular waivers are the fee is only $125 to take over the contract instead of the tens of thousands fees, and where the unconditional part really comes in, there is no right of recall meaning no rights to the player if they are claimed and go through waivers again. IE can't claim on the 2nd round of waivers to pull into the minors.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Basically they are the waiver designed specifically for buying out players. A couple differences between unconditional and regular waivers are the fee is only $125 to take over the contract instead of the tens of thousands fees, and where the unconditional part really comes in, there is no right of recall meaning no rights to the player if they are claimed and go through waivers again. IE can't claim on the 2nd round of waivers to pull into the minors.

Interesting, I do recall them being called the $1.25 waivers, I had forgotten about that part.

I am assuming a claim has never happened. I'm guessing it never will either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Love Shero's take on offer sheets
It's the narrative because it's true. I like his take on the offer sheets, too, but GM's in the NHL are a bunch of ******* when it comes to offer sheets. Too terrified to do it.

Hell, a decade ago Brian Burke nearly ****ing fought Kevin Lowe for offer sheeting Dustin Penner lol.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's the narrative because it's true. I like his take on the offer sheets, too, but GM's in the NHL are a bunch of ******* when it comes to offer sheets. Too terrified to do it.

Hell, a decade ago Brian Burke nearly ****ing fought Kevin Lowe for offer sheeting Dustin Penner lol.
They don’t use it because it is designed to be ineffective, not because there is a gentleman's agreement like he says.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I think it was the offer sheet the Canucks made on Backes that prompted Davidson and the Blues to retaliate with an offer sheet on Bernier (which IIRC actually hosed them pretty good) that really scared people off of offer sheets. The O'Reilly debacle didn't help matters.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yay more challenges. The offsides challenge needs to be changed though, like does it really matter if someone’s skate is 1/14 of an inch offside?
What about if it is 1/2 inch or one inch offside? where do you draw the line? You have a rule or you don't. I think if they eliminate the skate in the air scenarios that will take care of the most problematic instances.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What about if it is 1/2 inch or one inch offside? where do you draw the line? You have a rule or you don't. I think if they eliminate the skate in the air scenarios that will take care of the most problematic instances.

No I know. And I don’t think they should change the rule except for your foot doesn’t have to be on the line. But it’s just annoying that goals will get called back for 1/2 an inch that doesn’t effect the play at all.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No I know. And I don’t think they should change the rule except for your foot doesn’t have to be on the line. But it’s just annoying that goals will get called back for 1/2 an inch that doesn’t effect the play at all.
I know some people have said that if the offside player has no impact on the play then the goal should stand but again where do you draw the line? It becomes very subjective and we are putting more grey area in the hands of the refs which IMO is not a good thing at all. As I said have a rule or don't...no in-between.

Reactions: avsfan09

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know some people have said that if the offside player has no impact on the play then the goal should stand but again where do you draw the line? It becomes very subjective and we are putting more grey area in the hands of the refs which IMO is not a good thing at all. As I said have a rule or don't...no in-between.

There’s nothing you can do about it. I’m just complaining to complain really.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It can still be refined/restricted. For offside reviews I say they can only play it in real time. No slo-mo. If it's not readily obvious someone was offside entering the zone, the goal counts.

Bottom line, the reason this gets so damned muddied is because no one knows what constitutes "definitive". That needs to change.

If it were up to me, I'd eradicate challenges completely. Maybe put an eye-in-the-sky ref to see things from another perspective but take review out of the hands of the coaches. At this point they're just challenging for the hell of it on goalie interference, that's just way too subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad