2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Fenton sucks and you know it's really bad if you're getting fleeced by Waddell. No one has any idea of what he's trying to do.

Can you imagine coaching an NHL team in the middle of a race for a playoff spot then your stupid GM trades 3 core pieces for pennies on the dollar at the deadline for no apparent reason?

I'm not the biggest Boudreau fan but damn. Poor guy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lost in all the laughter about Fenton is the fact that, perhaps, Waddell is a much better GM than we thought. No doubt he made some absolutely terrible moves that one and only time the Thrashers made it to the postseason, but so far I really like what he's done with the Canes.

Side note: There's a really good article by John Vogl in the Athletic about "tanking," and he examines a number of teams that did it for 2-3 years and came out with two top-five players, including the Nordiques/Avs. One thing that's worth noting: The whole notion of stability and continuity behind the bench is a complete myth. The Penguins went through a bunch of coaches from the time Mario was drafted to the time they won their back-to-back Cups. Not saying they should fire Bednar, but it's remarkable how many teams met success with a long track record of failed coaches behind them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Lost in all the laughter about Fenton is the fact that, perhaps, Waddell is a much better GM than we thought. No doubt he made some absolutely terrible moves that one and only time the Thrashers made it to the postseason, but so far I really like what he's done with the Canes.
Refresh my memory, what were those?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

Side note: There's a really good article by John Vogl in the Athletic about "tanking," and he examines a number of teams that did it for 2-3 years and came out with two top-five players, including the Nordiques/Avs. One thing that's worth noting: The whole notion of stability and continuity behind the bench is a complete myth. The Penguins went through a bunch of coaches from the time Mario was drafted to the time they won their back-to-back Cups. Not saying they should fire Bednar, but it's remarkable how many teams met success with a long track record of failed coaches behind them.

Waddell was one of the GM's completely handcuffed by the owner(s), much the same way Garth Snow was and Dorion is. It's very easy to point and laugh at many moves they make, but at the same time it's very hard to know how they can perform as a GM, until they 1) get away from the shitshow and 2) are lucky enough to get a 2nd chance. That said, I think Waddel is still very much handcuffed by an owner who's pinching pennies; Skinner-, Lindholm/Hanifin-trades weren't just culture-changing trades....

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Waddell was one of the GM's completely handcuffed by the owner(s), much the same way Garth Snow was and Dorion is. It's very easy to point and laugh at many moves they make, but at the same time it's very hard to know how they can perform as a GM, until they 1) get away from the ****show and 2) are lucky enough to get a 2nd chance. That said, I think Waddel is still very much handcuffed by an owner who's pinching pennies; Skinner-, Lindholm/Hanifin-trades weren't just culture-changing trades....

Yeah, that may have been the worst ownership situation in NHL history, and it's ridiculous it went on for so long. I read that Waddell wasn't even allowed to offer contracts longer than four years, which doomed him from re-upping Marc Savard at the time. The Dan Snyder incident just made things even worse.

That said, there's a reason you notice GMs never utter the term "Five year plan" and that's because Waddell's blew up in his face. Don't know if ownership played a part in some of those panic deadline deals (when they weren't busy suing one another) but it can't be argued that DW dealt with some trying circumstances as Atlanta's first GM.

As far as Dundon goes, dude seems more than willing to throw out the $$$$ when he wants to. What I'm hearing is that he's trying to change the culture of contract negotiations a bit. He and Waddell played hardball with Elias Lindholm, someone on (I think) 31 Thoughts said something about putting the power back in management's hands as opposed to the agent's. How successful he'll be, I don't know, but I'm reasonably confident they'll sign Aho long-term to a very lucrative contract. They just didn't feel the same about Lindholm. As for Skinner...well...that was destined to happen. Both sides just needed to move on.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Should also be noted that Russo said the Wylde sent half as many scouts to the combine as most other teams. Not a big deal to me personally since I think the combine is a complete waste of time, but regardless I agree with the rest of you in here that he's doing an exemplary job.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->