Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Krueger gets another shot with a new team, but one that's in fairly lousy shape, especially if Skinner opts out.

Still don't like Botterill as a GM thus far, but not sure if he's the issue or the Pegulas are.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sad news that the Manchester Monarchs of the ECHL are closing up shop. They essentially got "demoted" when the Kings moved their AHL affiliate to Ontario, CA and it appears it just didn't take with the fans.

I wonder which ECHL teams are the most successful. I'd really love to have one here in the midwest I could go and see but that's unlikely.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Krueger gets another shot with a new team, but one that's in fairly lousy shape, especially if Skinner opts out.

Still don't like Botterill as a GM thus far, but not sure if he's the issue or the Pegulas are.

When you have a franchise center and likely the next generational defender... things aren't that bad. Pairing up Dahlin and Montour then pushing Risto to the bottom pairing should mean the defense will be solid. At 7 they should be able to get a high end forward to insert in the line up in a year. Olofsson looks primed and ready. Nylander better be at this point. Smith looks like he can step into a middle 6 role. They should be primed to have a nice infusion of talent to surround their guys with, regardless of Skinner.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When you have a franchise center and likely the next generational defender... things aren't that bad. Pairing up Dahlin and Montour then pushing Risto to the bottom pairing should mean the defense will be solid. At 7 they should be able to get a high end forward to insert in the line up in a year. Olofsson looks primed and ready. Nylander better be at this point. Smith looks like he can step into a middle 6 role. They should be primed to have a nice infusion of talent to surround their guys with, regardless of Skinner.

That's a very sunny outlook. Not inaccurate at all, but sunny. Still feels like they'd be overworking Eichel (which hasn't exactly worked for them in the past), a franchise defenseman who won't even hit 20 years of age until April of next year, and hope once again that Mittelstadt hits his stride should Skinner opt out. They'll also have a hard time bumping Risto down the lineup with Lawrence Pilut starting the first month or two on IR, Bogosian pretty much done, and Scandella struggling mightily.

And then there's *fart noise* Hunwick.

If he's gone, the best they can hope for is mediocre, but then again that'd be a step in the right direction.

Looking at their CapFriendly page...oof. Four guys on the buyout list. Thankfully for them, one (Moulson) is officially off the books this year. And two are compliance buyouts so at least their cap hits don't show up.

FTR I like the hire, Krueger has such an interesting background and absolutely deserved a second chance. I dare say he might end up being a better choice than McLellan. But I'm still just not sure what Buffalo's aiming for. The damage has been done and I'm still not sure Botterill's the guy to fix it since he did some of the damage himself.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Kasper Björkqvist (Birchbranch) signed with the Pens. There's another ELC guy for the Pens fourth line in a year or so. Seems like a good NHL grinder from what I've seen with NT's.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's a very sunny outlook. Not inaccurate at all, but sunny. Still feels like they'd be overworking Eichel (which hasn't exactly worked for them in the past), a franchise defenseman who won't even hit 20 years of age until April of next year, and hope once again that Mittelstadt hits his stride should Skinner opt out. They'll also have a hard time bumping Risto down the lineup with Lawrence Pilut starting the first month or two on IR, Bogosian pretty much done, and Scandella struggling mightily.

And then there's *fart noise* Hunwick.

If he's gone, the best they can hope for is mediocre, but then again that'd be a step in the right direction.

Looking at their CapFriendly page...oof. Four guys on the buyout list. Thankfully for them, one (Moulson) is officially off the books this year. And two are compliance buyouts so at least their cap hits don't show up.

FTR I like the hire, Krueger has such an interesting background and absolutely deserved a second chance. I dare say he might end up being a better choice than McLellan. But I'm still just not sure what Buffalo's aiming for. The damage has been done and I'm still not sure Botterill's the guy to fix it since he did some of the damage himself.

I guess I see them having already found the two most difficult pieces to get. They have a franchise #1 center and a franchise #1 defensemen. There are not many clubs that can say they have both and both are 22 or younger (they are the only one I can think of off hand). They have #2 and #3 defensemen (should they choose to keep Risto). McCabe as a #4 is solid. They have young talent up front and the #7 pick... they need to find a goalie and not miss at #7. It isn't that they are going to be great next year, but they have as bright of future as anybody.

Montour and Dahlin will be the top pairing... so they have already pushed Risto down at ES (he's been over 20 consistently for a few years, was under 19 after Montour arrived).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They should sign Mandrycky tomorrow, though it sounds like she may want to stick around in Seattle at the moment.

The guy the Wylde stupidly let go should also be considered, though it sounds like they're looking for someone younger...and cheaper.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They should sign Mandrycky tomorrow, though it sounds like she may want to stick around in Seattle at the moment.

The guy the Wylde stupidly let go should also be considered, though it sounds like they're looking for someone younger...and cheaper.

Yeah, I don't think the Avs are looking for someone like that for this position. Sounds more like almost a paid internship type of position to do some of the extra work.

Do we know how many people are actually in the analytics department for the Avs? Is it still like 2-3 people?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess I see them having already found the two most difficult pieces to get. They have a franchise #1 center and a franchise #1 defensemen. There are not many clubs that can say they have both and both are 22 or younger (they are the only one I can think of off hand). They have #2 and #3 defensemen (should they choose to keep Risto). McCabe as a #4 is solid. They have young talent up front and the #7 pick... they need to find a goalie and not miss at #7. It isn't that they are going to be great next year, but they have as bright of future as anybody.

Montour and Dahlin will be the top pairing... so they have already pushed Risto down at ES (he's been over 20 consistently for a few years, was under 19 after Montour arrived).

I dunno...Edmonton has had a better center and a decent, albeit not great, top defender, and they're still a trainwreck. I guess I feel too much still has to go right for them to have a good season. Still a few too many passengers IMO, and while his stats are still fantastic...there's something about Eichel that just isn't working in Buffalo.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I don't think the Avs are looking for someone like that for this position. Sounds more like almost a paid internship type of position to do some of the extra work.

Do we know how many people are actually in the analytics department for the Avs? Is it still like 2-3 people?

It's Arik Parnass and two other guys whose names I forget. The DTMA guy was also hired by KSE but he doesn't work exclusively for the Avs.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's Arik Parnass and two other guys whose names I forget. The DTMA guy was also hired by KSE but he doesn't work exclusively for the Avs.

Sprigings is the one who works with all the Kroenke teams and Parnass is the only one I know of for the Avs. Urback is no longer with the Avs.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I mean, an "Apply here" tweet. They're definitely looking for hockey bloggers and college students. Junior hockey analyst, is that comparable to "junior reporter" on the CV?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The GM of the year finalists are a joke, once again. Sweeney made 2 standard deadline deals and that is about it. Waddell made good and bad moves, not that impressive tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad