2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The best thing Roy did as Avs HC was quit on the team when he did, which allowed them to hire a good HC and eventually move in the right direction. The Avs wouldn't have fired him so as terrible as the timing was, it actually ended up being a good thing in the long run. I don't really care about the speculated/rumoured scenarios on the personnel side because I don't believe it would've mattered too much if he was still the coach. Great player and one of my all-time favourites but also a very lousy coach.

However, he's entertaining and I like listening to him so I'd like to see him get another chance. Hopefully he has learned from his first stint and has taken the years away from the NHL to change and get better.

I mean Mackinnon still kinda plays wing now. In the D zone he doesn’t take the role of the center and he takes some face offs, but Landy takes more. So he’s more of a pseudo center.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The best thing Roy did as Avs HC was quit on the team when he did, which allowed them to hire a good HC and eventually move in the right direction. The Avs wouldn't have fired him so as terrible as the timing was, it actually ended up being a good thing in the long run. I don't really care about the speculated/rumoured scenarios on the personnel side because I don't believe it would've mattered too much if he was still the coach. Great player and one of my all-time favourites but also a very lousy coach.

However, he's entertaining and I like listening to him so I'd like to see him get another chance. Hopefully he has learned from his first stint and has taken the years away from the NHL to change and get better.

I think Roy had his flaws like all coaches, and Bednar is a good coach, but lets be honest. There's no way Bednar would have lasted more than two seasons, if he had the defensive core Roy did.

Both coaches had EJ and Barrie, but Roy had basically nothing good after that. After Bednar's first season, he had two additional quality defenseman (Girard, Zadorov) that weren't there previously, and this year they ended the season with three (Girard, Zadorov, Makar). Even Nemeth is better than Holden in basically the same role.

Roy 2013-14

Hejda - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Benoit - Guenin

Hunwick, Sarich, Elliott, Wilson, Stollery

Roy 2014-15

Hejda - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Stuart - Guenin

Redmond, Siemens, Elliott, Stollery, Wilson

Roy 2015-16

Beauchemin - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Redmond - Guenin

Bigras, Zadorov (22 games), Stuart, Gormley, Bodnarchuk, Gelinas

Bednar 2016-17

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Wiercioch - Tyutin

Barberio, Goloubef, Gelinas, Lindholm, Siemens

Bednar 2017-18

Girard - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Zadorov - Barberio

Lindholm, Bigras, Warsofsky, Siemens, Mironov, Alt

Bednar 2018-19

Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - EJ
Girard - Makar

Nemeth, Graves, Alt, Lindholm

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Roy had his flaws like all coaches, and Bednar is a good coach, but lets be honest. There's no way Bednar would have lasted more than two seasons, if he had the defensive core Roy did.

Both coaches had EJ and Barrie, but Roy had basically nothing good after that. After Bednar's first season, he had two additional quality defenseman (Girard, Zadorov) that weren't there previously, and this year they ended the season with three (Girard, Zadorov, Makar). Even Nemeth is better than Holden in basically the same role.

Roy 2013-14

Hejda - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Benoit - Guenin

Hunwick, Sarich, Elliott, Wilson, Stollery

Roy 2014-15

Hejda - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Stuart - Guenin

Redmond, Siemens, Elliott, Stollery, Wilson

Roy 2015-16

Beauchemin - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Redmond - Guenin

Bigras, Zadorov (22 games), Stuart, Gormley, Bodnarchuk, Gelinas

Bednar 2016-17

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Wiercioch - Tyutin

Barberio, Goloubef, Gelinas, Lindholm, Siemens

Bednar 2017-18

Girard - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Zadorov - Barberio

Lindholm, Bigras, Warsofsky, Siemens, Mironov, Alt

Bednar 2018-19

Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - EJ
Girard - Makar

Nemeth, Graves, Alt, Lindholm

Please don't post these ever again. Haha. My eyes hurt just watching these. I guess our defense improved a lot through the years..

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I mean Mackinnon still kinda plays wing now. In the D zone he doesn’t take the role of the center% nd he takes some face offs, but Landy takes more. So he’s more of a pseudo center.
Landy took 694 face-offs in the regular season this year. MacK took 1183.

When comparing the D core each coach had, and emphasizing how bad Holden is, bear in mind that Roy LOVED him, as evidenced by what he told Vigneault:
But then his phone rang, and Patrick Roy, then still the Avalanche coach explained.
“It was funny, we were coming back from Buffalo, I got a call as I got off the plane in Ottawa from Patrick Roy saying to me, ‘You just got one of my better defensemen,’ ”
He also went on record praising Stuart. Hejda in 13-14 was solid, though playing above his ability as a top pairing (he fell apart 14-15). Also, EJ was much better a few years ago than he is now. First year Beauchemin was not that bad....second year was a disaster. The worst top6 in the last 6 years was easily Bednar's first year. Thankfully it has gotten much better since.

Roy also benefited from much better goal-tending, SV% by year: 13-14 = 91.9%, 14-15 = 91.8%, 15-16 = 90.9%, 16-17 = 89.4%, 17-18 = 91.4%, 18-19 =90.7%.

The narrative that Roy had no say in personnel decisions is a new one. While Sakic has had the final say the entire time, it was pretty well understood that he listened to Roy as much as anyone for advice on who to target. Roy was fully on board with getting guys like Stuart, Beauchemin, Grigorenko, Talbot, etc. According to rumors, he also wanted others...some of which would have been awesome to have right now, so it is not like it was all bad.

As for Roy and Barrie. Roy may have helped Barrie develop him offense at the NHl level, but that does not mean he was happy that the defense never followed. I dont know that he actually did rip Barrie in the arbitration meeting, but to say he was totally happy with Barrie is also a stretch given that reports were that he considered him a 5th D.

And most telling is the following quote from his resignation presser:
I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and V-P of hockey operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team’s performance. These conditions are not currently met.

Given the improvements we have seen since he left, both from drafting and trading, I think it is fair to say he was wrong in his preferred approach.

All that said, I hope he gets the job in OTT. I think he will have learned from the experiences, and I think he was the will and ability to turn that team around as long as Melnyk stays out of his way.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't wanna see O'Reilly win a cup (he's the guy people should hate not Duchene) but I still gotta cheer for the Blues over the greasy Sharks & evil Bruins.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't wanna see O'Reilly win a cup (he's the guy people should hate not Duchene) but I still gotta cheer for the Blues over the greasy Sharks & evil Bruins.

If there's one reason for wanting the Blues to win the Cup it's Radar lifting it. Still can't believe how poorly they handled him, starting with PL. To quote @Hasbro "Big fat snake eat Lacroix".

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If there's one reason for wanting the Blues to win the Cup it's Radar lifting it. Still can't believe how poorly they handled him, starting with PL. To quote @Hasbro "Big fat snake eat Lacroix".

Can't we all just agree to hate Sharks fans?

I don't even hate the team. Just the fans.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There's really no way to know that, and it's easy to see he's a center now. Back then there was no consensus, and for a long time, he had played his best hockey at the time on Stastny's wing.

Moving back and forth didn't stop MacKinnon from being the player he is now. Other high level players have moved back and forth as well like Pavelski, Seguin, Stamkos, Giroux, etc.

It's just part of the path of a player these days. There's less emphasis on which wing you play, or whether you play center or wing, because systems are designed to help defensively no matter what position you play.
Roy constantly changed things even when things were working. If MacKinnon had a good game with Stastny on top lines, next game Roy would have MacK on the 3rd line which always made you wonder why he would change things when it was working. It's part of Roy's crazy, unique personality which made him a bad coach in the NHL. Like I said, he may have gotten away with it in junior hockey, but I dont think Roy should be a coach in the NHL unless he settles down and does things more traditional ways

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh...I'm no fan of Ryan O'Reilly but I really don't care who wins the Cup at this point. I was really pulling for the Avs and the Jerks. It's just not worth my emotional investment once my team is out of it. There are no real heroes and villains in the sports world. Obviously there are some really bad people, but unfortunately they're all over the place.

Glad to be taking a bit of a break from hockey, even leading up to Game 7 I felt a little burned out. It's such a short offseason, not to mention there'll be a draft and free agency during all that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

So the Oilers could be looking at the GM/HC combo that was rumoured for Seattle at one time.

With MacT and Sutter now gone, they might also finally be cleaning house but we'll have to see on that front because there needs to be a lot more done than just those two.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Scott Howson and Bob Green still have to go. Kevin Lowe is invincible and Katz's right-hand-man so he'll never go unless he resigns, but those two absolutely must go.

Holland off to a good start. I think MacT was going to get fired if he didn't find another opportunity so quickly, sort of saving face. Sutter not so lucky. Props to Holland, though, for recognizing that Sutter has been an absolute disaster in his role with pro scouting, and getting him the hell out of there.

Now, I don't necessarily think Dave Tippett is the guy they should hire, so we'll see how that goes. Never been a fan of his and have always considered him Hitchcock-lite.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Seeing how much attention this is getting compared to their other coaching interviews is probably something a guy like Melnyk would factor into the final decision.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Roy will prove a lot of people wrong if he gets another coaching job in the NHL.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Roy was pushing for a scouting & development overhaul here in Colorado, I mean one just needs to look at the scouts he brought into the organization when he got here. Now they may not have been *good* scouts per se (and that could be attributed to the Avs as an organization just not putting as much money into that as Roy wanted), but it was a start. And that's something that quite a few people here have been wanting the Avs to do--beef up the scouting staff and whatnot.

Now imagine Roy with a scouting and development staff as good as Ottawa's? One of the few positive things that can continued to be said about them is that their scouting & development staff is quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad