2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Hi all. As you may know I recently did some stats analysis of all the forwards in the NHL over the past two seasons. I've been playing around with the numbers, and thought it would be interesting to see who, according to the stats, would make up each country's Olympic team if it were to take place right now. Here are the results for all the countries with enough NHL players to make up a full forward roster of 13 players. Just for fun I put the remaining players into a "Team Europe". (Note, the line combinations are based on the TOI/game of each player, not on their overall rating or my opinion)

Canada
Connor McDavidSidney CrosbyNathan MacKinnon
Taylor HallTyler SeguinMark Stone
Evander KaneJohn TavaresSean Couturier
Jeff SkinnerPatrice BergeronBrendan Gallagher
Eric Staal
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Czech Republic
Jakub VoracekDavid KrejciDavid Pastrnak
Ondrej PalatTomas HertlMichael Frolik
Jakub VranaRadek FaksaOndrej Kase
Dominik SimonFilip ChytilDmitrij Jaskin
Tomas Nosek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Finland
Erik HaulaAleksander BarkovMikko Rantanen
Teuvo TeravainenSebastian AhoMikael Granlund
Joonas DonskoiMikko KoivuPatrik Laine
Artturi LehkonenJesperi KotkaniemiKasperi Kapanen
Joel Armia
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Russia
Artemi PanarinEvgeni MalkinAlexander Radulov
Alex OvechkinEvgeny KuznetsovNikita Kucherov
Evgenii DadonovVladislav NamestnikovVladimir Tarasenko
Pavel BuchnevichArtem AnisimovAndrei Svechnikov
Nikolay Goldobin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sweden
Gabriel LandeskogNicklas BackstromGustav Nyquist
Rickard RakellWilliam KarlssonElias Pettersson
Filip ForsbergMikael BacklundWilliam Nylander
Viktor ArvidssonMika ZibanejadPatric Hornqvist
Carl Hagelin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
USA
Johnny GaudreauDylan LarkinPatrick Kane
Jason ZuckerAuston MatthewsCam Atkinson
Brady TkachukJack EichelNick Bjugstad
Chris KreiderPaul StastnyCraig Smith
Joe Pavelski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"Team Europe"
Nikolaj EhlersAnze KopitarMats Zuccarello
Tomas TatarLeon DraisaitlTimo Meier
Kevin FialaNico HischierNino Niederreiter
Tomas JurcoDominik KahunRichard Panik
Oliver Bjorkstrand
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Edit: Also for fun, here's Team North America (23 and under from USA/Canada)

Team North America
Connor McDavidNathan MacKinnonBrayden Point
Auston MatthewsDylan LarkinMitchell Marner
Matthew TkachukJack EichelSam Reinhart
Brady TkachukPierre-Luc DuboisMathew Barzal
Alex Tuch
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Looking at Winnipeg's CapFriendly page, this summer is not going to kind to them. Really tough for them they went out in the first round.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Looking at Winnipeg's CapFriendly page, this summer is not going to kind to them. Really tough for them they went out in the first round.

This is why it is important to know your window and push as early as possible. It is VERY easy for a window to just pass by without rewards.

Reactions: Ararana

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah you don’t get 6/7/8 year window like people here think is possible(only in rare cases with WSH/Pitt). You usually get 2-4 years to have a legit shot at a cup and then that’s it. Hence why we have to be aggressive starting next year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

It's already starting.

Why would someone ask Trouba of all people about a discount? The sense I've always gotten is that he has been trying to get out of Winnipeg for years and is now only a year away from that.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Trouba has been angling his way out of Winnipeg since he got there... this will finally be his first legit chance at pushing that. Winnipeg will get a King's ransom for him.

If I remember correctly from a few years ago, the dude wants to play in the states. Detroit should be all over that.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Jets are in deep shit, love it

Yeah you don’t get 6/7/8 year window like people here think is possible(only in rare cases with WSH/Pitt). You usually get 2-4 years to have a legit shot at a cup and then that’s it. Hence why we have to be aggressive starting next year.
You can have that lengthy window as long as the GM makes the right moves, Chevy hasn't

The Jets have 16+ million locked up next year in Little, Perrault, Lowry and Kulikov + they could have made trades to make the cap more manageable but never did. Trouba always looked like someone who wanted out but the Jets waited right to the very last moment, so if they do have to trade him they are not getting full value. There are more examples but its decisions like these that shorten the window.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Jets are in deep ****, love it

You can have that lengthy window as long as the GM makes the right moves, Chevy hasn't

The Jets have 16+ million locked up next year in Little, Perrault, Lowry and Kulikov + they could have made trades to make the cap more manageable but never did. Trouba always looked like someone who wanted out but the Jets waited right to the very last moment, so if they do have to trade him they are not getting full value. There are more examples but its decisions like these that shorten the window.

The caps and Pens are the only teams to have windows opened for 7/8 years. And they both have generational talents which changes things. That hawks window was like 5-6 years. The kings was 4-5, Bruins was around 3/4 before they retooled. 4 years is the window you have to shoot for. Trying to set up and 7/8 year window turns you into the wild, Blues, or Jets.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The caps and Pens are the only teams to have windows opened for 7/8 years. And they both have generational talents which changes things. That hawks window was like 5-6 years. The kings was 4-5, Bruins was around 3/4 before they retooled. 4 years is the window you have to shoot for. Trying to set up and 7/8 year window turns you into the wild, Blues, or Jets.
The Hawks made some stupid mistakes that made it more difficult to compete for cups and the Kings were always a veteran team with a short shelf life.

As long as the core is one of the best in the league + the team is young and obviously very good, a long cup window is not out of the question. The issue is that almost no team has that going for them, and if they did the GM is not good enough to make it happen.

The Jets just were never built to compete for a long time. Their best forward is soon 33 and the #1 D is 34 + there are obvious cap issues. If Trouba gets traded the Jets defense will look ugly once Buff gets older.

Reactions: avsfan09

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Hawks made some stupid mistakes that made it more difficult to compete for cups and the Kings were always a veteran team with a short shelf life.

As long as the core is one of the best in the league + the team is young and obviously very good, a long cup window is not out of the question. The issue is that almost no team has that going for them, and if they did the GM is not good enough to make it happen.

The Jets just were never built to compete for a long time. Their best forward is soon 33 and the #1 D is 34 + there are obvious cap issues. If Trouba gets traded the Jets defense will look ugly once Buff gets older.

The Hawks ran up against the cap and had to get rid of some core and super important pieces of their team. That’s the issue every team in a cap world will face at some point. In 4 years Mack will be making 13/14mil a year, Rants will around 10 etc etc.

Sure we should obviously try and make our window last as long as possible but I’d rather get 3 incredibly good looks than 7 alright ones.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
*I* personally don’t think you can go for one or the other. It all depends on the hand you are dealt as a GM. You can only make the right decision at any particular point in time, and then continue to make them as they pop up. You can’t sit there and go “I want to have a 4 year window” or “I want a 7-8 year window”. It really just depends imo. There are too many variables. I think the best approach is to build a solid organization like the Wings used to have. Top to bottom.

If you build the organization right, it will win championships by itself. But you have to try to make the right decisions each and every time.

Might take some time, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

It sounds like f***ing Confucius, but this is the way I look at it.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
*I* personally don’t think you can go for one or the other. It all depends on the hand you are dealt as a GM. You can only make the right decision at any particular point in time, and then continue to make them as they pop up. You can’t sit there and go “I want to have a 4 year window” or “I want a 7-8 year window”. It really just depends imo. There are too many variables. I think the best approach is to build a solid organization like the Wings used to have. Top to bottom.

If you build the organization right, it will win championships by itself. But you have to try to make the right decisions each and every time.

Might take some time, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

It sounds like ****ing Confucius, but this is the way I look at it.

I guess I’m just getting at most Cup windows are around ~4 years it seems. I just think it makes sense to expect that instead of a longer window. Obviously if you can extend your window as long as possible that’s great, but having a cup window longer than ~4 years is not common.

Reactions: 5280

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO there are only two ways you can extend the usual window of 3-4 years by another 2-5 years:

1. Once your window has opened, draft very well with your late first and in the other rounds to replenish your lineup with cheap contracts; and/or

2. Be willing to trade some of your core pieces while they still have very good value so you can get a very good return for them. That return can either be very good future pieces, already established or close to being established players with cheaper contracts/ELC, or a combination of the two.

You do those two while staying away from bad contracts and should be able to stay a SC contender for quite a while. Easier said than done though. The team must have very good professional and amateur scouts, and be willing to pay them very well in order to retain them. The formula for success is not rocket science but the execution is much harder to do.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Flames are "likely" getting Yelesin (when Friedman says likely it's usually a done deal).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Trouba has been angling his way out of Winnipeg since he got there... this will finally be his first legit chance at pushing that. Winnipeg will get a King's ransom for him.
Kings ransom for an unsigned player who likely holds out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad