2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kings ransom for an unsigned player who likely holds out?

Any team trading for Trouba knows the demands and is signing a 7 year deal right away... and what they are signing is a 25 year old #1D right in the middle of his prime. I can't recall the last proven #1 defenseman traded in their mid 20s, but the price would be insanely high. Jones wasn't proven and still brought back a #1C (with contract issues).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Any team trading for Trouba knows the demands and is signing a 7 year deal right away... and what they are signing is a 25 year old #1D right in the middle of his prime. I can't recall the last proven #1 defenseman traded in their mid 20s, but the price would be insanely high. Jones wasn't proven and still brought back a #1C (with contract issues).
Yah. Depends on what he does. If he holds out, then his price will drop.

Who would we lose besides Barrie, if we want to sign him?

Makar can already take Barries spot in a 6 man line up.

Timmins has an outside chance at being ready later on next year.

I guess Nemeth won't be re-signed.

It's nice to have a bunch of quality D. It's been over a decade since that was the case.

Reactions: Patagonia

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yah. Depends on what he does. If he holds out, then his price will drop.

Who would we lose besides Barrie, if we want to sign him?

Makar can already take Barries spot in a 6 man line up.

Timmins has an outside chance at being ready later on next year.

I guess Nemeth won't be re-signed.

It's nice to have a bunch of quality D. It's been over a decade since that was the case.

A holdout to the Jets wouldn't matter to teams... they know who they are getting and they know this is round 3 on trying to leave Winnipeg. What teams see is a #1D in the prime of his career that can stabilize your team for 7 years. That is what they care about above all else.

I can't see the Avs making a swing at Trouba, but if they do, they have the cap space to make a move without moving anyone off the roster. Nobody has to be replaced, and if that day comes... move EJ. If I was the Avs, I'd start conversations with the 4th pick for Trouba.

Timmins shouldn't be counted on next year for the NHL in any capacity.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
A holdout to the Jets wouldn't matter to teams... they know who they are getting and they know this is round 3 on trying to leave Winnipeg. What teams see is a #1D in the prime of his career that can stabilize your team for 7 years. That is what they care about above all else.

I can't see the Avs making a swing at Trouba, but if they do, they have the cap space to make a move without moving anyone off the roster. Nobody has to be replaced, and if that day comes... move EJ. If I was the Avs, I'd start conversations with the 4th pick for Trouba.

Really? I thought he fell off a bit. Or at least that's the impression I got from Jet fans.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Johnson has a NMC, and a hold out would absolutely hurt his value. He's on his 3rd attempt to leave one of the top teams in the league? Red flag.

Why would Colorado trade the 4th pick to an unsigned, whiny, baby, of a player? No thanks.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Johnson has a NMC, and a hold out would absolutely hurt his value. He's on his 3rd attempt to leave one of the top teams in the league? Red flag.

Why would Colorado trade the 4th pick to an unsigned, whiny, baby, of a player? No thanks.

Wanting to be paid what you're worth does not make a player a whiny baby.... Difficult concept to understand, I know.

But yeah, why would this team want a legit Top pairing(Debatable #1) who's just 25 years old and has another 5-6 years at least of Top pairing quality hockey. Why would this team want to get better?

:facepalm:

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Wanting to be paid what you're worth does not make a player a whiny baby.... Difficult concept to understand, I know.

But yeah, why would this team want a legit Top pairing(Debatable #1) who's just 25 years old and has another 5-6 years at least of Top pairing quality hockey. Why would this team want to get better?

:facepalm:
He wants to be traded because they won't play him on the right side. Sounds like an idiot to me

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He doesn't want to be traded. He wants to be paid for the player he's worth and isn't willing to take a discount.
He literally said he wasn't showing up to camp because he wants to play on the right side.

Imagine Makar said he wasn't playing because he wants to play on the other side.

Then imagine Colorado being forced to move him.

Where do you think his value would be at?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He literally said he wasn't showing up to camp because he wants to play on the right side.

Imagine Makar said he wasn't playing because he wants to play on the other side.

Then imagine Colorado being forced to move him.

Where do you think his value would be at?

That was like 3 years ago, and again his main reason for not showing up to camp was that he didn't have a contract while also suggesting that he believed he played best on the Right Side. Nothing about the Right Side stuff has come up since then.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That was like 3 years ago, and again his main reason for not showing up to camp was that he didn't have a contract while also suggesting that he believed he played best on the Right Side. Nothing about the Right Side stuff has come up since then.
So he was whining about what side he was playing on, and now he's whining about money? Red flags

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So he was whining about what side he was playing on, and now he's whining about money? Red flags

No... That's not what I said at all.

It has always been about the money. He wants to be paid what he's worth and isn't a guy who is going to take a discount to play anywhere. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

It has always been about the money. He wants to be paid what he's worth and isn't a guy who is going to take a discount to play anywhere. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I understand the money part. I've never heard a defenceman say he isn't showing up to camp because he wants to play on the other side. Obviously he's an idiot, or his agent is, or they both are. That's ridiculous

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I understand the money part. I've never heard a defenceman say he isn't showing up to camp because he wants to play on the other side. Obviously he's an idiot, or his agent is, or they both are. That's ridiculous

He was being forced to play the left side when he is a natural right sided defenseman. That's a legit gripe as he isn't being used correctly.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Paid for what he is worth or an unrealistic amount he wants?

He went to Arbitration asking for $7M and Jets offered $4M. A massive $3M difference that is totally unrealistic, he won an award in the middle of $5.5M. He followed with a 2 year Bridge Deal to reach UFA sooner.

Complained about playing LD is not for the sake of the team, but personal motivated. RHD are valued higher in contracts.

There are plenty of other examples of his contract behaviour, not necessarily to get MV.

Trouba joining the AVs, Barrie should be dumped. EJ bought out. Not even sure if this could disrupt the team. 2C will a harder to find from the 16th pick.

This is a terrible idea.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

But he didn't say that.... I've explained it to you 3 times now. He didn't show up to camp because he didn't have a contract. No player without a contract is ever going to show up to camp and risk an injury without having a contract.

During his holdout his agent made a statement about Trouba preferring the right side and seeing his best opportunities to contribute, coming from playing on the Right Side. But he didn't "refuse to report to camp because he had to play on the Left Side"

Please stop posting this.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
"I want to play on the right side to realize my potential," Trouba, 22, told TSN. "That's not going to happen in Winnipeg.

That's completely different from refusing to show up to camp, like you have continually suggested.

Yes, he wanted to play the Right side and preferred it to the Left because that's where he played better. No, that was not the reason he held out of camp and didn't report.

I'm just not sure why you're not getting this.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Paid for what he is worth or an unrealistic amount he wants?

He went to Arbitration asking for $7M and Jets offered $4M. A massive $3M difference that is totally unrealistic, he won an award in the middle of $5.5M. He followed with a 2 year Bridge Deal to reach UFA sooner.

Complained about playing LD is not for the sake of the team, but personal motivated. RHD are valued higher in contracts.

There are plenty of other examples of his contract behaviour, not necessarily to get MV.

Trouba joining the AVs, Barrie should be dumped. EJ bought out. Not even sure if this could disrupt the team. 2C will a harder to find from the 16th pick.

This is a terrible idea.
Thank you. It's a hard pass

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That's completely different from refusing to show up to camp, like you have continually suggested.

Yes, he wanted to play the Right side and preferred it to the Left because that's where he played better. No, that was not the reason he held out of camp and didn't report.

I'm just not sure why you're not getting this.
"I want to play on the right side to realize my potential," Trouba, 22, told TSN. "That's not going to happen in Winnipeg. This has nothing to do with Winnipeg as a city. This isn't an easy decision. But I want to play on the right side."

"Our client, Jacob Trouba, will not be attending the Winnipeg Jets NHL training camp," agent Kurt Overhardt said in a statement, according to Sportsnet. "Since May, we have been working with the Jets management in an effort to facilitate a trade of Jacob's rights. Both parties continue to work on this matter."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad