2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I mean sorta. I mean why would you play your best dman on his off side? Dmen rarely play on their off side and I can't imagine why he would enjoy playing out of position.
I'm assuming the situation is a lot more complicated than him just wanting to play on the other side.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm assuming the situation is a lot more complicated than him just wanting to play on the other side.

Now who's the one just speculating randomly.

Trouba wanted out because he wasn't being offered what he believed he was worth, hence a difference of 3M in arbitration numbers. His usage played a role in it as well but it's really not that uncommon for guys to get upset about usage. Especially when they're big impact players like Trouba. Dmen most often times prefer to play there strong side and dont like playing the weaker side. Trouba wanted to do this so he could contribute to the team more and it wasn't happening in Winnipeg.

The thing about this is it was 3 years ago and nothing ever came of it really. Trouba started playing on the Right side and started playing much better and bigger minutes for the Jets and the Jets got better. Now it's plain and simple coming down to a contract situation where he just wants to get paired fairly. It probably wont happen in Winnipeg because of the cap situation they are in.

He could be a good fit in Colorado, especially if we had another deal lined up to move EJ out. He's essentially a younger prime EJ who's also better than Prime EJ and with Girard/Barrie/Makar I think Trouba would be a damn near perfect fit to our current Top 4 Makeup. Pair him with Girard and let Barrie/Makar run wild on a 2nd pairing.

It wont happen since Winnipeg isn't trading him to a divisional rival, but it would be a great fit.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Now who's the one just speculating randomly.

Trouba wanted out because he wasn't being offered what he believed he was worth, hence a difference of 3M in arbitration numbers. His usage played a role in it as well but it's really not that uncommon for guys to get upset about usage. Especially when they're big impact players like Trouba. Dmen most often times prefer to play there strong side and dont like playing the weaker side. Trouba wanted to do this so he could contribute to the team more and it wasn't happening in Winnipeg.

The thing about this is it was 3 years ago and nothing ever came of it really. Trouba started playing on the Right side and started playing much better and bigger minutes for the Jets and the Jets got better. Now it's plain and simple coming down to a contract situation where he just wants to get paired fairly. It probably wont happen in Winnipeg because of the cap situation they are in.

He could be a good fit in Colorado, especially if we had another deal lined up to move EJ out. He's essentially a younger prime EJ who's also better than Prime EJ and with Girard/Barrie/Makar I think Trouba would be a damn near perfect fit to our current Top 4 Makeup. Pair him with Girard and let Barrie/Makar run wild on a 2nd pairing.

It wont happen since Winnipeg isn't trading him to a divisional rival, but it would be a great fit.
"I want to play on the right side to realize my potential," Trouba, 22, told TSN. "That's not going to happen in Winnipeg. This has nothing to do with Winnipeg as a city.

This isn't an easy decision. But I want to play on the right side."

"Our client, Jacob Trouba, will not be attending the Winnipeg Jets NHL training camp," agent Kurt Overhardt said in a statement, according to Sportsnet. "Since May, we have been working with the Jets management in an effort to facilitate a trade of Jacob's rights. Both parties continue to work on this matter."

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Any team trading for Trouba knows the demands and is signing a 7 year deal right away... and what they are signing is a 25 year old #1D right in the middle of his prime. I can't recall the last proven #1 defenseman traded in their mid 20s, but the price would be insanely high. Jones wasn't proven and still brought back a #1C (with contract issues).

Exactly.

The same people saying that Troubas lack of contract will lower his value are probably the same people who argued (correctly) that RORs lack of contract wouldn't effect his value because the team trading for him would know what contract he wants and be comfortable offering it.

Different contract situations obviously but same idea. Avs traded ROR and he immediately signed long term with Buffalo. It's basically a guarantee the same thing will happen with Trouba.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The caps and Pens are the only teams to have windows opened for 7/8 years. And they both have generational talents which changes things. That hawks window was like 5-6 years. The kings was 4-5, Bruins was around 3/4 before they retooled. 4 years is the window you have to shoot for. Trying to set up and 7/8 year window turns you into the wild, Blues, or Jets.
The Wild and Blues issue was lack of an elite #1 C and high end talent.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Trouba being an RFA is actually preferable to teams. They'll know his asking price, and how willing they are to get close to it, and they'll have all summer to negotiate a deal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely not to Jacob Trouba. This team has other holes to fill, and I'm confident moving forward in our defensive corps.

If there was a three-way trade to be made where we get ourselves a legit two way 60 point 2C, someone gets Trouba and the Jets get a good package, sure. But if this team spend assets in a trade, it has to be up front.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If we can involve EJ or Barrie in a trade for Trouba it can make sense, but I don't know if it's worth even adding much to accommodate that trade.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely not to Jacob Trouba. This team has other holes to fill, and I'm confident moving forward in our defensive corps.

If there was a three-way trade to be made where we get ourselves a legit two way 60 point 2C, someone gets Trouba and the Jets get a good package, sure. But if this team spend assets in a trade, it has to be up front.

As far as I can see the only two teams that could realistically work with are Toronto and Tampa. We could go for Kadri or J.T. Miller and those teams could both use Trouba. Winnipeg would probably need to get only futures in return so they can re-sign their RFAs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any team trading for Trouba knows the demands and is signing a 7 year deal right away... and what they are signing is a 25 year old #1D right in the middle of his prime. I can't recall the last proven #1 defenseman traded in their mid 20s, but the price would be insanely high. Jones wasn't proven and still brought back a #1C (with contract issues).
I love me Trouba, but not sure if he is #1 for me, doesn't have the offencive skillset or the high-end IQ for pure shutdown defence either. However, he is a number cruncher similar to Johnson, is a tough son-of-a-gun, and has enough talent that I like as a #2. Honestly he could be the new generations version of Erik Johnson and that isn't a bad player. Nonetheless, not sure he's a player I would want to give up very valuable pieces for because as you said he's going to demand a lot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I love me Trouba, but not sure if he is #1 for me, doesn't have the offencive skillset or the high-end IQ for pure shutdown defence either. However, he is a number crunchier similar to Johnson, is a tough son-of-a-gun, and has enough talent that I like as a #2. Honestly he could be the new generations version of Erik Johnson and that isn't a bad player. Nonetheless, not sure he's a player I would want to give up very valuable pieces for because as you said he's going to demand a lot.

I probably would have been more with you on this last year or prior, but he showed enough offense to me this year combined with pacings previous years to change my mind. He's a better EJ in pretty much every manner. He's not the best shutdown guy or the best offensive guy, but he is better than EJ at either. I mean... Trouba just had a 50 point season this year, and EJ has never hit 40. A couple seasons ago Trouba had a 45 point pacing... he's EJ with the offense you wished EJ had and the same if not better defense. He's a clear #1 IMO... not an elite one, but a guy you can build around for sure.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I love me Trouba, but not sure if he is #1 for me, doesn't have the offencive skillset or the high-end IQ for pure shutdown defence either. However, he is a number cruncher similar to Johnson, is a tough son-of-a-gun, and has enough talent that I like as a #2. Honestly he could be the new generations version of Erik Johnson and that isn't a bad player. Nonetheless, not sure he's a player I would want to give up very valuable pieces for because as you said he's going to demand a lot.
Not trying to be a dick, but I'm curious as to why you always spell "offensive" with a "c"

Offencive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad