2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Devils look very thin up front. Even thinner if Hall decides to move on as a UFA in 2020.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It doesn't seem like things are going too well for our old friend in Columbus. Apparently Duchene isn't even playing all that bad but he's just not producing right now, just like his start in Ottawa. These midseason trades, which put you in a completely new situation and force you to find some chemistry quickly, are tough on someone like Duchene. I thought they had the right idea grabbing Dzingel as well but I guess not.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It doesn't seem like things are going too well for our old friend in Columbus. Apparently Duchene isn't even playing all that bad but he's just not producing right now, just like his start in Ottawa. These midseason trades, which put you in a completely new situation and force you to find some chemistry quickly, are tough on someone like Duchene. I thought they had the right idea grabbing Dzingel as well but I guess not.

Could be Duchene's playing style. It's a unique type of hockey to say the least, he does much of the work when there is a successful play.

Regarding the moves Jarmo made I think that franchise is in huge trouble. This was not Columbus' year at all and Duchene, Dzingel and McQuaid aren't bridging the gap. In exchange for what could be a non-playoff season and what will be at best a 2nd round exit they have no future for quite some time.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Apparently the agreement for this current playoff format expires after this season and for some reason I don't quite understand, the NHL and PA are likely going to extend it another year.

giphy.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Apparently the agreement for this current playoff format expires after this season and for some reason I don't quite understand, the NHL and PA are likely going to extend it another year.

giphy.gif
It's garbage, and the 8v1 system is better. I'm actually a fan of the 1v16 system, and I think it will be more exciting. People complain about travel in the 1v16 system, but Colorado already travels the most of any team in the league, so I don't care. The extra travel for some teams would actually level the playing field.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The whole idea to make the playoff format more divisional was to cut down on travel time. Some players hate it for sure, but I think there are others who think travel is way more strenuous. The owners obviously don't mind the lower costs. I personally can't stand it but what can ya do...?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The whole idea to make the playoff format more divisional was to cut down on travel time. Some players hate it for sure, but I think there are others who think travel is way more strenuous. The owners obviously don't mind the lower costs. I personally can't stand it but what can ya do...?

It's too boring. I know they try to build "rivalry" like this, but all it creates a boring playoff series. I don't want to face the same teams every year. I would rather face someone else than Preds this season If we are lucky enough to make it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the current playoff format sucks, but I also think we can say if the NHL wanted rivalries enhanced, it's done the job.

Toronto/Boston, San Jose/Vegas, Nashville/Winnipeg, Nashville/Colorado, Pittsburgh/Washington, Pittsburgh/Columbus, St. Louis/Chicago. These teams that are in the same division have been seeing each other in the playoffs, and the rivalries have blossomed.

Now, do I think rivalries can be created literally any other way? Absolutely, because the playoffs create the rivalry regardless. But the NHL has some legs to justify this format on top of the "less travel" reason.

I still say change it, though. I don't think it's fair at all that arguably the two best teams in hockey, Tampa Bay and Boston, will have to play each other in the 2nd round.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I think the current playoff format sucks, but I also think we can say if the NHL wanted rivalries enhanced, it's done the job.

Toronto/Boston, San Jose/Vegas, Nashville/Winnipeg, Nashville/Colorado, Pittsburgh/Washington, Pittsburgh/Columbus, St. Louis/Chicago. These teams that are in the same division have been seeing each other in the playoffs, and the rivalries have blossomed.

Now, do I think rivalries can be created literally any other way? Absolutely, because the playoffs create the rivalry regardless. But the NHL has some legs to justify this format on top of the "less travel" reason.

I still say change it, though. I don't think it's fair at all that arguably the two best teams in hockey, Tampa Bay and Boston, will have to play each other in the 2nd round.

Don't you mean Calgary and Calgary?

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario

The playoff format is ridiculous and we all hope it's changed back.

Best teams facing each other in the 1st and 2nd round is absurd. IMO makes the Grind during the regular season redundant.

Reactions: MarkT

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Oh, you guys are gonna love it when Seattle enters the league and it'll be a strict divisional playoffs the first two rounds :DD

Personally, I'll like that when it comes.

First, meeting a team in the playoffs a few times create intense rivalries. What did the one playoff matchup against the Wild do to us? We don't hate them like we do just because games against them are snoozefests. What about Detroit in the 90's? We weren't in the same division, but both were "always" among the final four in the Conference so meeting them several times was inevitable.

Having the playoffs like that isn't just to reduce travel either. Even more important is game start times. Nashville hated going to California for two rounds in 2015-16 for both those reasons.

What players feel like the regular season is pointless? Tampa's this year? For the absolute most teams it's a dogfight the whole regular season to either actually making the playoffs or getting home ice advantage. Do Caps, Isles and Pens players feel the regular season is pointless right now?

The only change I'd like with the current setup is that if the two wildcards are from different divisions, they will play in the bracket of their own division, no matter the points.

There will always be some teams in the playoffs with less points than a team outside of it, but that was a regular, maybe even yearly, occurence with the 1-8 matchup as well, with a team from the other conference. And since the schedule is skewed towards every teams' own division, intra-division the first two rounds would be fair anyways. Many of you mention Tampa/Boston, but because they got a couple/three absolute laughingstocks in their division, they'll have a lot more easy games than someone like Winnipeg.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Facing the same team over and over again gets boring as f

Even with intra division the opponents will change frequently in today's NHL.

Also, I definitely wouldn't mind another tilt with the Wild. And about the last word I'll use to describe our matchups with Detroit back in the days is "boring".

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Even with intra division the opponents will change frequently in today's NHL.

Also, I definitely wouldn't mind another tilt with the Wild. And about the last word I'll use to describe our matchups with Detroit back in the days is "boring".
The thing is that under this current format its possible that you play the same team over and over again in the 1st round, all it takes is a dominant team in a division and two solid teams after that.

Boston and Toronto are going to face each other who knows how many times in the 1st round despite being one of the best teams in the league, its absurd really. Give it a few more 1st round series and the fans will be dead tired about the thought of another series, some already are.

The Avs Wings rivalry is not really a good example as it was one of the best in NHL history, there is nothing like it today and won't be in the future either unless the game changes.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
The thing is that under this current format its possible that you play the same team over and over again in the 1st round, all it takes is a dominant team in a division and two solid teams after that.

Boston and Toronto are going to face each other who knows how many times in the 1st round despite being one of the best teams in the league, its absurd really. Give it a few more 1st round series and the fans will be dead tired about the thought of another series, some already are.

The Avs Wings rivalry is not really a good example as it was one of the best in NHL history, there is nothing like it today and won't be in the future either unless the game changes.

Possible, but unlikely. Since this format started, Anaheim won the Pacific 4 times in a row. Two of those years LA and San Jose met each other, with two years apart. Don't remember this reaction then. Quite on the contrary, good series and the fans just don't like each other.
If we assume Washington wins the Metro this year, they'll also have won it 4 years in a row, with Pittsburgh as the #2 or #3. Pittsburgh will face the fourth different team in four years in the 1st round this year.

This is a whopping 2nd year that happens and, like I said, in today's NHL things change so fast, there's a bigger chance the same scenario won't occur next season.

If this scenario in the Atlantic happens four years in a row, I'll be inclined to agree, but that scenario is highly unlikely, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad