2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Don't get me wrong, it's great that they get these female athletes there to promote sports especially for girls. I'm just tired of this always creating this overreaction about women in the NHL and why women's sports doesn't sell and whatnot. Then everyone's all "Good for you!" about it on Twitter so that people know they think it's good.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It was pretty cool to see, but no women can play in an NHL game.

Hell even making the NHL is such a rare thing to accomplish for even the best male athletes, there's just no way women could compete.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
It was pretty cool to see, but no women can play in an NHL game.

Hell even making the NHL is such a rare thing to accomplish for even the best male athletes, there's just no way women could compete.

What are NHL rules for trans players?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
How should I know? :laugh:

I doubt we'd see that considering the way the game is played now anyways.

Female -> male -> NHL? Nope
Male -> female -> Professional womens hockey? Could see it. Though I'm of the opinion of that it's basically cheating and shouldn't be allowed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's an interesting question, but even if a woman wants to become a man, (s)he will still have all the female anatomy meaning they wouldn't make the NHL. Females just do not have the genetic predisposition for muscle mass that men can ultimately gain - regardless of how many hormonal drugs they take.

E: Just thought of something, you don't need to become a man to be a good goaler though. I remember Tampa Bay had that female back-up goaler sometime in the 90s'. I would consider it a possible scenario that if there ever is a generational female goaler who also has the height, she might could realistically make the NHL.

Awesome video though and her flow was amazing (hair in the wind, jersey flapping behind), glad to see her take over MacKinnon's spot even if the over top the feminists will try to ruin this moment to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
*in a precision passing contest.

Kendall Coyne is 50 pounds lighter than Patrick Kane and eight inches shorter. Hilary Knight is larger than Patrick Kane and worse in everything. Who are you virtue signalling for?

I'm not even remotely interested in getting in a long debate. Very controversial stuff in the Army though. All I ever cared about was just that the women have to pass the same tests for the same jobs, and sometimes they can.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm not even remotely interested in getting in a long debate. Very controversial stuff in the Army though. All I ever cared about was just that the women to have to pass the same tests for the same jobs, and sometimes they can.
Yeah, neither am I. And I hear ya.
There are no gender based rules in the NHL.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Then there is this too,

Kendall Coyne ruled the All-Star skills competition and smashed an icy barrier - TheHockeyNews

On the skill/skating side there is zero reason women can't be on the level. The physical nature of the game is more interesting. That isn't really a strong argument though either since you have P. Kane out there skating with guys like Z, Burns, Buff, and Chara.

There is women out there who can compete with men, but just a hell of a lot fewer of them.

Hayley Wickenheiser at eliteprospects.com

I know this was nearly 20 years ago, but Wickenheiser didn't do anything when she played againts men in Finland.

Noora Räty at eliteprospects.com

Räty is one of the best female goalies and she also didn't post good numbers playing againts men.

Hitting isn't allowed in women's hockey so it's like comparing flag football to tackle football when comparing women's and men's hockey againts each other.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
That's an interesting question, but even if a woman wants to become a man, (s)he will still have all the female anatomy meaning they wouldn't make the NHL. Females just do not have the genetic predisposition for muscle mass that men can ultimately gain - regardless of how many hormonal drugs they take.

E: Just thought of something, you don't need to become a man to be a good goaler though. I remember Tampa Bay had that female back-up goaler sometime in the 90s'. I would consider it a possible scenario that if there ever is a generational female goaler who also has the height, she might could realistically make the NHL.
The Tampa Bay was a PR stunt. Ewen if a Wiman had the height she would newer have the strengh. Being a hockey goalie to day is hard work.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not a particularly fruitful discussion. Men are just better at all things athletic. Womens national teams in football in Europe have practice games against male U16 teams and more often than not come out on the losing end.

Pretending things aren't this way is not going to make anyone happier. Just enjoy things on their own merits. There are plenty of female athletes that are as driven as any of their male counterparts.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Freudian has the right idea there about this whole thing, but you might want to look at Rheaume's actual stats.

Manon Rhéaume at eliteprospects.com

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not a particularly fruitful discussion. Men are just better at all things athletic. Womens national teams in football in Europe have practice games against male U16 teams and more often than not come out on the losing end.
Same goes for the Canadian Women's National hockey team here. They tour the country playing Midget AAA teams, not even junior teams, and come out on the losing end more often than not.

It's just not good quality hockey. I've no doubt there are women just as driven and passionate about these things as men, but they just can't compete. Like, the girl yesterday was giving everything she had on that lap, whereas it didn't look like the men could be bothered to try. Heiskanen literally looked like he was out for an afternoon stroll. McDavid was chuckling during his lap.

Props to her for showing well, though. 14.5 (I think) is nothing to scoff at.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I wouldn't say it will never happen, but I would be surprised if a female ever plays at a high pro level (NHL, AHL, KHL) at a position that is not goalie.

I have doubts about their ability to play at lower levels as well, but I guess I could see it theoretically happening.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah I can't believe people responded to AJ saying Coyne-Schofield is 'most definitely an upgrade' over "Bourque, Andrighetto, AND Nieto" or a variation of it. Just pathetic and delusional. You can promote women in sports while not making a complete dingus of yourself...

Reactions: 22FUTON9

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well
Yeah I can't believe people responded to AJ saying Coyne-Schofield is 'most definitely an upgrade' over "Bourque, Andrighetto, AND Nieto" or a variation of it. Just pathetic and delusional. You can promote women in sports while not making a complete dingus of yourself...

Look maybe they are not hockey players, but it is possible for women to hang with the men physically in some of the most difficult situations.

Sapper - Females proud to wear Sapper tab

They've had a bunch make it through thus far.

Ranger - 12 Female Soldiers Have Now Graduated Army Ranger School

(Rangers are bitches though, lol but it is regarded and one of the most difficult courses in the Military.)

SFAS even has one or two.

From what I know they all did it with the same standards as the men.

None of them have made it through SFQC (Special Forces Qualification Course) in its entirety, but it is a year or more of a course, and it is hell on earth (I know). SFQC is the course you gut it out in SFAS just to make it into. My SFAS class in January of 2007 was 250 people (Winter classes are about half size). About 100 finished, and they selected 60ish people.

I'm just saying that there are a few women who can, and do put in the work to make it to an elite level physically and mentally. I doubt you could build a sports team out of the number of women who can however.

Women as a whole just do not set the odds in their favor. There isn't nearly as many who strive for it for a lot of reasons, but physical limitations based on genes isn't why woman can't be elite in any sport compared to men.

There is a lot of other issues as well that make it difficult rather than women just cannot make it physically.

Oh and I hate the idea of women in combat jobs in the Army, but it isn't because I can't respect the ones who show the skills and physical fortitude to stand shoulder to shoulder with men in the profession. Their gender isn't holding them back IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't give a damn about comparing women to men in sport. It's enough to say that women are plenty athletic and work just as hard as men, and if you didn't watch the gold medal game between Canada and the US or didn't enjoy it, I feel bad for ya.

There IS a market for women's hockey. If it ain't your cup of tea, fine. But the NHL would be smart to try and grow the women's game and affiliate themselves with the NWHL/CWHL and other leagues throughout North America and Europe, it will serve to grow the game overall, and hey, that means more money, right? It'd be a much, much better way to market to women than the cheap, almost dirty tactics the NFL employs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Same goes for the Canadian Women's National hockey team here. They tour the country playing Midget AAA teams, not even junior teams, and come out on the losing end more often than not.

It's just not good quality hockey. I've no doubt there are women just as driven and passionate about these things as men, but they just can't compete. Like, the girl yesterday was giving everything she had on that lap, whereas it didn't look like the men could be bothered to try. Heiskanen literally looked like he was out for an afternoon stroll. McDavid was chuckling during his lap.

Props to her for showing well, though. 14.5 (I think) is nothing to scoff at.

Are we really going to go down that route?

The players half-ass'd the game as usual, but for skill competitions they aren't going half-speed. I guarantee Keller is getting friendly jabs from his friends and teammates about losing to Schofield. There's a lot of valid reasons to believe women wouldn't be able to play in the NHL, but to say that the players weren't trying to invalidate what they accomplished is in poor taste.

Also, Schofield's time is only half a second slower than Mackinnon's run in 2018.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Are we really going to go down that route?

The players half-ass'd the game as usual, but for skill competitions they aren't going half-speed. I guarantee Keller is getting friendly jabs from his friends and teammates about losing to Schofield. There's a lot of valid reasons to believe women wouldn't be able to play in the NHL, but to say that the players weren't trying to invalidate what they accomplished is in poor taste.

Also, Schofield's time is only half a second slower than Mackinnon's run in 2018.
Yeah, she's a fast skater. So was Lari Joutsenlahti, who competed in Red Bull Crashed Ice but he couldn't make a FIN-3 team. Are women's hockey career paths at a point today where they'll be able to play in an NHL system on an NHL level. No.

Not only you have to be an outlier physically, but you've also come up playing just awful hockey your entire career because of if nothing else, your quality of competition and the organization of women's hockey. The very best female players have made it to an ECHL or Fin-2 level or comparable and sucked. I'm not saying it's impossible and it shouldn't happen, just that if it does happen it'll be Ivana Drago, the world's most systems oriented hockey geek who's also 5'9 and shredded.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and Nzap

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Look maybe they are not hockey players, but it is possible for women to hang with the men physically in some of the most difficult situations.

So, I didn't say any of what you're ascribing to me, honestly. I merely said you can promote women without having to lie through your teeth or say silly things that are clearly untrue. Women are incredibly capable of doing anything they want (I love watching police television and the female cops are absolute badasses, they'll slam down huge dudes and cuff them and I'm like damn I'd never be able to do that to that person).

Kendall Coyne-Schofield is not a better hockey player than Sven Andrighetto. I think you and I can both agree with that, even with the knowledge that Coyne-Schofield is a possible top-10 skater in the WORLD and an incredible person. The NHL isn't just about skating fast. And yes I know she's a good player outside of her skating abilities.

Women as a whole just do not set the odds in their favor. There isn't nearly as many who strive for it for a lot of reasons, but physical limitations based on genes isn't why woman can't be elite in any sport compared to men.

There is a lot of other issues as well that make it difficult rather than women just cannot make it physically.

I feel like this is a way more problematic thing to say than that women are just physically different from men. TONS of women strive to do challenging things like play sports at the highest level. You think it's for some other reason than that they are disadvantaged physically against men?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So, I didn't say any of what you're ascribing to me, honestly. I merely said you can promote women without having to lie through your teeth or say silly things that are clearly untrue. Women are incredibly capable of doing anything they want (I love watching police television and the female cops are absolute badasses, they'll slam down huge dudes and cuff them and I'm like damn I'd never be able to do that to that person).

Kendall Coyne-Schofield is not a better hockey player than Sven Andrighetto. I think you and I can both agree with that, even with the knowledge that Coyne-Schofield is a possible top-10 skater in the WORLD and an incredible person. The NHL isn't just about skating fast. And yes I know she's a good player outside of her skating abilities.

I feel like this is a way more problematic thing to say than that women are just physically different from men. TONS of women strive to do challenging things like play sports at the highest level. You think it's for some other reason than that they are disadvantaged physically against men?

I was comparing the ratio of men that choose to heavily invest in sports versus women. Just that simple, no need to extrapolate it out into something bigger. I get that some of that is outlook and opportunity related as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad