2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I said it before, but firing him just a couple of days after they signed Koskinen pretty much proves he was a figurehead much like Sherm and Giguere were here. Fall guys for those really in charge.

This pretty much confirmed that. The ex GMs above him and around him have been making decisions by committee for a while now. Inking that deal a day before he is let go 100% confirms it. Not sure if I feel bad for the guy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Oh man. Please get some forward thinking decision maker who can evaluate talent in there. Chiarelli was about his grit and toughness and Nicholson is focusing on leadership and character.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A couple things pointed out that I thought were interesting:

The brass in Edmonton did not finally swing the axe on Chiarelli until every single writer in town turned on them. Before that, even as late in the game as a month ago, there were headlines that read something like "Chiarelli looking like a genius again." The water-carrying in that town is every bit as toxic as the culture in the organization itself. Friedman said Vancouver is the toughest town when it comes to media mittenstringing, I say no, Edmonton is. Way worse than Vancouver, and way, WAY worse than Toronto or Montreal.

Friend of mine said on Twitter that he doesn't buy that the Koskinen deal was an "organizational decision." He thinks they let Chiarelli do the deal and were caught completely unprepared for the overwhelming and almost universally negative media and online backlash that ensued, and panicked. So in turn, they panicked on a panicking GM who was making a series of panic moves in a desperate ploy to save his job. I actually think it's a plausible scenario, though I have nothing beyond speculation to make such an assertion.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, keep in mind Chiarelli panicked long before this season. The whole Eberle salary dump/Draisaitl megadeal was all because Petey was scared to death someone would swoop in with an offer sheet. At least that's what I've read.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
As much fun as it is to laugh.. Having Edmonton suck, sucks. Could you imagine a good Edmonton team versus Calgary? Oh my God I'd watch every second of that shit.

Similar with Buffalo vs Toronto, I'd love to see both Buffalo and Edmonton turn it around.

Reactions: agentblack

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wish the Oilers nothing but failure until cronies like Nicholson/Lowe/MacT/Howson/etc are all booted to the moon. They don't deserve an ounce of success.

I seriously hope McDavid demands a trade with the caveat of "I'll stay if the entire upper management is fired" to Darryl Katz.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wish the Oilers nothing but failure until cronies like Nicholson/Lowe/MacT/Howson/etc are all booted to the moon. They don't deserve an ounce of success.

I seriously hope McDavid demands a trade with the caveat of "I'll stay if the entire upper management is fired" to Darryl Katz.
It's funny because I would LOVE to see a proper Battle of Albert as Fopp alluded to, but I hate both teams for very different reasons. I hate Oilers because their fanbase is the Leafs of the West (one winning season and they were unbearable). I hate Calgary because the team they made is from draft picks entirely out of juvenile detention facility due to the hands of Burke. I honestly hope neither team wins a Cup ever again, or for Flames at least this generation of players.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I selfishly want Edmonton to be good because they're the local team. It's much more fun when they're playing competitive hockey and their little run in the playoffs the other year was great. Hopefully they can get it turned around quickly but that appears to be unlikely.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bourque has worn an A under Bednar. That's all the leadership you need.
AX2hTas.png

Reactions: UncleRisto

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Twere it me taking over the Oilers, I’d look at trying to do a Duchene type trade with the Nuge. Maybe get a ready to go prospect and a bit of cap wiggle room.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Craig MacTavish - Senior VP, Hockey Operations
Duane Sutter - VP, Player Personnel
Keith Gretzky - Assistant GM
Bill Scott - Director, Salary Cap Management & Assistant to President of Hockey Operations
Scott Howson - VP, Player Development
Bob Green - Director, Player Personnel and oversees Amateur Draft

Hahahahaha. They are so royally ****ed.

Reactions: klozge

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Craig MacTavish - Senior VP, Hockey Operations
Duane Sutter - VP, Player Personnel
Keith Gretzky - Assistant GM
Bill Scott - Director, Salary Cap Management & Assistant to President of Hockey Operations
Scott Howson - VP, Player Development
Bob Green - Director, Player Personnel and oversees Amateur Draft

Hahahahaha. They are so royally ****ed.
Isn't Lowe still in the org as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad