2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone knew it was coming at some point. There has been way too much heat on Hakstol for some time now.

So even if it wasn't officially official, that Philly reporter had it right yesterday. He got discredited by Dreger and then blasted on twitter by many others after his report. Although, he did say they're going to hire Q and that hasn't happened yet.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Everyone knew it was coming at some point. There has been way too much heat on Hakstol for some time now.

So even if it wasn't officially official, that Philly reporter had it right yesterday. He got discredited by Dreger and then blasted on twitter by many others after his report. Although, he did say they're going to hire Q and that hasn't happened yet.

Scott Gordon hired

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure what to make of the Q news. Fletcher claims he didn't even ask permission to speak with the guy, so I'm thinking the writer jumped the gun or had a faulty source. Either way he's got some egg on his face for sure, even though he appears to have gotten the first part right. Nick Cotosnika once posted an amusing story about how a source completely hosed him once, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Needing permission to talk to a fired GM/HC is something that should change. I bet it'd be granted in pretty much all cases but it just makes no sense since that person is no longer employed by a team. It'd be like needing a team's permission to negotiate with a player they just bought out. At least they stopped that foolishness from a few years back where you had to give compensation to hire a GM/HC who was fired but still getting paid.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Look at Doughty quitting on the play here. Unbelievable.

unforgivable-gif-11.gif

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Needing permission to talk to a fired GM/HC is something that should change. I bet it'd be granted in pretty much all cases but it just makes no sense since that person is no longer employed by a team. It'd be like needing a team's permission to negotiate with a player they just bought out. At least they stopped that foolishness from a few years back where you had to give compensation to hire a GM/HC who was fired but still getting paid.

I've never understood why that's so looked down upon. A contract is a contract, whether it's a player, coach, GM, or the anthem singer. If they don't want the team to enact a certain amount of control on that person's employment elsewhere then they should not accept the free money they're getting for sitting at home.

You use things like draft picks to improve your team. I don't see any difference whatsoever between flipping a pick for a player or using the same thing to hire a new head coach. Both have similar impacts, and in fact the latter has the potential for a far greater impact on a team's fortunes. Lacroix played hardball with Burke and the Canucks when they wanted to hire Marc Crawford and had to pay a price to do so, I don't see the issue with that.

Similarly, what's the big deal of the Flyers have to ask the Hawks for permission to talk to someone who's still on the payroll (and in Q's case, a significant amount of it)? It's in Chicago's best interest for someone to come in and hire him so they're no longer on the hook for said contract. It'd be no different than if Philly came in and asked for permission to speak to an active member of the coaching staff or front office for a position.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So anyone thing Evander Kane should be getting a little more flack for what happened to Corey Crawford? I'm surprised I've only read/heard one account that took him to task for what I feel was a premeditated hit/shove.

Strome doesn't escape blame entirely either. I have no idea what exactly he was doing there.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Dubas: I spend 'zero percent' of my time worrying about offer sheets
Dubas: I spend 'zero percent' of my time worrying about offer sheets

We need to offersheet Kapanen. The compensation for offersheeting him at around $4M is pretty reasonable (only a 2nd round pick at $4M) considering how good he is and we could use another good speedy physical winger. Only issue is that he isn't exactly the best sniper, misses a tonne of shots and stuff but he's getting better at least in that department.

Or just trade for him since Sakic is too nice to actually offer sheet someone lol.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
We need to offersheet Kapanen. The compensation for offersheeting him at around $4M is pretty reasonable (only a 2nd round pick at $4M) considering how good he is and we could use another good speedy physical winger. Only issue is that he isn't exactly the best sniper, misses a tonne of shots and stuff but he's getting better at least in that department.

Or just trade for him since Sakic is too nice to actually offer sheet someone lol.
Lol yeah Jpe would never offer sheet , he's too classy for that

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't believe the coach I saw at North Dakota turned out to be the same head coach of the Flyers. At North Dakota his team played a gritty two-way brand of hockey filled with speed, physicality, and talent similar to Bowman's Red Wings (a team you loved to hate). He comes up to the Flyers and plays this dreadful and horrible to watch defencive style of hockey with absolutely no intensity, speed, physicality, or anything. Flyers were as boring as watching paint dry and when is the last time you heard that about a team from Philadelphia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad