2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They're good prospects, but Toronto could spare them and they needed a Muzzin in their lineup yesterday. Decent trade for both sides, but I think Toronto gets the better end of the bargain.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
Maybe I'm valuing Grundstrum higher than I should be. Still think it's a bit much for someone they don't plan on resigning.

Maybe we could pry Kadri from them in the off-season after they hit cap hell. :naughty:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really believe going all in for one season in the NHL, if that team is only capable of going all in for just that one season, is worth it. The only exception would be if a team has an aging core and plan to fully rebuild right after one final run IMO. In the NBA....sure, it seems you can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the final with the right on-paper roster. But parity in the NHL is so high, and hockey involves enough random factors, that I just don't think it's a smart calculated bet.

And CBJ has enough question marks. Bobrovsky, for one. A career .891 save percentage in the playoffs -- and his current .904 save percentage is his worst since 2011/12, and a huge drop off from his .921 and .931 of the prior two seasons.

In my view CBJ already messed up. They should have either traded Panarin in the offseason, or should have more seriously gone for it starting a couple years ago, e.g. done what it took to bring Duchene in and given the roster the injection of skill down the middle they were missing. Letting it get to the point in the offseason where Panarin could go public and announce he wasn't re-signing was foolish -- should have figured that out before July 1st and pulled the trigger instantly. I think it's a little late to make a big addition now to try to put the club over the top -- especially since big deadline adds seem to sometimes be pretty hit and miss. Jarmo has kind of just sat in the middle in my view -- a good roster but not one good enough to actually win anything, while playing chicken over the past year with two top UFAs and refusing to engage in a retool built around Jones / Werenski / Dubois.

To me that is the huge mistake... they had a chance to get a 2 year window and let it slip to a 1 year... which is likely to slip to nothing if they sell. To me, Columbus is deep enough organizationally that they can go all in this year, and still be a playoff team if it all blows up in their face. They just won't be a contender until they get another gamebreaker. They will be in that Wild area of being a good team, but not good enough to win a Cup and not bad enough to draft that gamebreaker up front. They have some assets to pull off some trades. They could probably swing a Duchene, Stone, or Hayes with ease and it not kill their future. Having PLD, Duchene, and Wennberg/Jenner down the middle is a very solid combo. Doesn't beat out what Pitt, Toronto, or Tampa can throw out there, but I think Columbus has a deeper defense than all of them. They'd probably still have to bet on Bob lighting up the playoffs (or if they bring Elvis over to finish the season and he transitions well)... which is a large risk, but I can see them making a run. Wouldn't be my favorites, but I think this is their singular last, best chance of winning.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Maybe I'm valuing Grundstrum higher than I should be. Still think it's a bit much for someone they don't plan on resigning.

Maybe we could pry Kadri from them in the off-season after they hit cap hell. :naughty:
According to who?

I really don't think it's a bad trade. A late 1st and two prospects for a legit top 3 Dman? As a contending team, sign me up.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Andy-Samberg-Wow.gif

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
According to who?

I really don't think it's a bad trade. A late 1st and two prospects for a legit top 3 Dman? As a contending team, sign me up.

Yeah Leafs need another prospect like i need another bill to pay. They still have Sandin, Liljegren, Bracco, etc. Good move for Dubas

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Leafs/Kings swap was a rare win-win. Leafs got exactly what they needed while not giving up their best pieces and a guy that solidifies the defense for a year and a half without breaking the bank. Kings got a couple decent prospects who could become bottom 4/middle 6 guys in the next couple seasons and what is likely a late 1st that will grab another high B sort of prospect.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
LA scout dept did manage to turn a 20th into Kupari, so they're doing something right
They've seemingly done quite well with those late seconds and such. I don't know if that's at all true, but it feels like they've managed to bring a lot of those late picks in eventually.

I think Durzi will add to that list for sure.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Queue Sens fans trade backs proposal:

Ottawa
- turris
- bowers
- 2019 1st, 3rd
- hammond

Nashville
- kamenev
- girard

Colorado
- duchene

Unfortunately we don't have Hammond so well be unable to convert the trade
Where do I sign?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe not their top prospects but still pretty high on the list. I guess they get him for two playoff runs.

Would you give our 1st + Bowers + Meloche for 1.5 years of Muzzin?

Totally different scenario. I don't personally think Grundstrom/Durzi are on the same level as Bowers/Meloche. Both of the latter are far more important to the Avs than the former are to Toronto. Toronto is also in contention mode, they're done rebuilding. Avs are not, though I expect they will flip the switch so to speak this offseason. At least they'd damn well better or I will start questioning the brain trust in Colorado.

I'll agree a 1st rounder is substantial even if somehow the Leafs win it all and it becomes the 31st overall pick, but I don't think it was necessarily a massive haul by the Kings. I think both sides came out fine though. And obviously the Avs 1st will likely be substantially more valuable than the Leafs 1st no matter how you cut it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Biggest problem in the East is that Tampa and Toronto look very strong. At the same time, what would getting a few young pieces for Bob/Panarin mean going forward? Perhaps they'll circle the wagon for a few years and get stronger 3-4 years in the future but is that less of a gamble than going for it this year?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For those of you out of the loop...Patrick Laine has been really, really bad this season. Not just your normal bad, but really bad.

Every single time I've been reading the Jets board this year it seems like their discussions turned around how abysmal Laine is and how he is by far the biggest liability on the roster.

It has now made it to the main board if anyone is interested.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For those of you out of the loop...Patrick Laine has been really, really bad this season. Not just your normal bad, but really bad.

Every single time I've been reading the Jets board this year it seems like their discussions turned around how abysmal Laine is and how he is by far the biggest liability on the roster.

It has now made it to the main board if anyone is interested.

I always thought he was pretty one dimensional and brought not much other than goal scoring especially after the playoffs last year. But this year has been a disaster for him.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I always thought he was pretty one dimensional and brought not much other than goal scoring especially after the playoffs last year. But this year has been a disaster for him.

He bought time with that month where he scored a ton of goals including that 5 goal game. I wonder what kind of contract he's going to sign now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He bought time with that month where he scored a ton of goals including that 5 goal game. I wonder what kind of contract he's going to sign now.

I really don’t know what I’d be comfortable giving him. He scores better than everyone and will be 50 goal scorer basically throughout his career so $8-$9mil is basically a guarantee for him. But that seems a lot for someone’s so one dimensional.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Friendly reminder that I made a poll last off-season asking which of Rantanen and Laine would score more career points and it got locked after about five hours

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Laine has regressed as a hockey player. Its a pretty remarkable that the 2nd OV pick is a worse player in his D+3 year than he was when he was drafted. He is simply a liability on the ice that can do only one thing, shoot.

He had one great month in November, where he had 18G and 1A in 12 games. He has 15 points in the other 38 games.

Dude also plays Fortnite multiple hours pretty much every single day, talk about bad taste. He has the cash to do a lot of nice things, however he is addicted to a bad video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad