2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I was comparing the ratio of men that choose to heavily invest in sports versus women. Just that simple, no need to extrapolate it out into something bigger. I get that some of that is outlook and opportunity related as well.
I can agree with that but I do think that the major thing holding women back is that they are physically disadvantaged compared to men. They're determined, persistent, have great character, but just often come up a little short when we're talking about size, strength, flexibility, etc. Women's and men's bodies are significantly different relative to one another. Muscle formation, bone density, bone structure, ligament size and formation and more (I'm not a doctor or anything, so maybe I'm wrong it's just what I've read). Check this article out:

The female ACL: Why is it more prone to injury?

It's an article explaining how ACL injuries occur and how women tend to get them a lot more (3.5 times more in basketball and 2.8 times more in soccer!). Just one of the ways women have it a little rougher in athletics just due to body physiology.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Women can and are great athletes, men may be better but that doesn't take away what a certain woman has done in her sport. I really don't see why we continue to try to compare them.

Okay, I do. But it's stupid. Why can't people just enjoy things without finding ways to complain?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Women can and are great athletes, men may be better but that doesn't take away what a certain woman has done in her sport. I really don't see why we continue to try to compare them.

Okay, I do. But it's stupid. Why can't people just enjoy things without finding ways to complain?
Because some people cannot deal with the fact that men are better in sports

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, she's a fast skater. So was Lari Joutsenlahti, who competed in Red Bull Crashed Ice but he couldn't make a FIN-3 team. Are women's hockey career paths at a point today where they'll be able to play in an NHL system on an NHL level. No.

Not only you have to be an outlier physically, but you've also come up playing just awful hockey your entire career because of if nothing else, your quality of competition and the organization of women's hockey. The very best female players have made it to an ECHL or Fin-2 level or comparable and sucked. I'm not saying it's impossible and it shouldn't happen, just that if it does happen it'll be Ivana Drago, the world's most systems oriented hockey geek who's also 5'9 and shredded.

I'm confused why you quoted my post. I never said anything about women being able to play in the NHL nor did I say I think they could. Maybe you misinterpreted it?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm confused why you quoted my post. I never said anything about women being able to play in the NHL nor did I say I think they could. Maybe you misinterpreted it?
Yes, I suppose. Kinda just adding to the general discussion.

Well, it's about time to move on from this topic anyway.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yes, I suppose. Kinda just adding to the general discussion.

Well, it's about time to move on from this topic anyway.

So... It looks like we can't actually get kicked out of a playoff spot until Feb 2nd. ANA is @ WPG earlier before we play the Knuckle heads.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Queue Sens fans trade backs proposal:

Ottawa
- turris
- bowers
- 2019 1st, 3rd
- hammond

Nashville
- kamenev
- girard

Colorado
- duchene

Unfortunately we don't have Hammond so well be unable to convert the trade

Reactions: ASmileyFace

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

If I am Blue Jackets, I play assets manager 101 and get rid of anybody who doesn't want to be on their *cough*ruskies*cough*. They will take a slight dip, but the amount they should get from teams should really help them getting back to top of the Metro a couple seasons from now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If I am Blue Jackets, I play assets manager 101 and get rid of anybody who doesn't want to be on their *cough*ruskies*cough*. They will take a slight dip, but the amount they should get from teams should really help them getting back to top of the Metro a couple seasons from now.

That is really the ultimate catch 22 situation... They don't have a gamebreaker up front besides Panarin, and they don't have one in their system. Any trade that make with him or Bob is unlikely to gather one. It becomes a question of is this their best shot to win a Cup for the next 5-6 years? If it is (and I think there is a real argument there), I think they should go all in.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wonder for how long it has been known that Panarin wants to go to NY or FLA. I bet the Hawks already knew back then when they traded his ass.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That is really the ultimate catch 22 situation... They don't have a gamebreaker up front besides Panarin, and they don't have one in their system. Any trade that make with him or Bob is unlikely to gather one. It becomes a question of is this their best shot to win a Cup for the next 5-6 years? If it is (and I think there is a real argument there), I think they should go all in.

People keep saying this (including Friedman) and I think it would be foolish to bet everything for what will possibly be another 1st round exit. Just saying this is the closest they'll be for the next five years isn't IMO good enough reason to mortgage the future for what amounts to "Hey, it's the playoffs, anything can happen!" I do not see that team making its way out of its own division, let along a deep Cup run.

No...it's time to face facts and sell. Sucks for Jarmo and it REALLY sucks for the fans and players but this team doesn't even look like anything more than the third-best team in its own division. That's not good enough to warrant risking it all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
People keep saying this (including Friedman) and I think it would be foolish to bet everything for what will possibly be another 1st round exit. Just saying this is the closest they'll be for the next five years isn't IMO good enough reason to mortgage the future for what amounts to "Hey, it's the playoffs, anything can happen!" I do not see that team making its way out of its own division, let along a deep Cup run.

No...it's time to face facts and sell. Sucks for Jarmo and it REALLY sucks for the fans and players but this team doesn't even look like anything more than the third-best team in its own division. That's not good enough to warrant risking it all.
Playoffs are a different animal and if they keep both of them they will absolutely go past the first round (IMO). However, are they Cup contenders? Can they beat the likes of Preds, Lightning, Jets, or Sharks. My answer is no, I don't see enough depth to be able to compete. Now with that said, you get as much as you can for them and now you have a lot of depth which you're able to potentially trade away for any top 6 quality RFAers out there and build around Dubois, Jones, Werenski, and those. Hench knows that CBJ have one of the best goaltending prospects not in the NHL, that is an area I wouldn't consider a big loss for them.

Plus any team with Jarmo will be a fantastic drafting club.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't really believe going all in for one season in the NHL, if that team is only capable of going all in for just that one season, is worth it. The only exception would be if a team has an aging core and plan to fully rebuild right after one final run IMO. In the NBA....sure, it seems you can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the final with the right on-paper roster. But parity in the NHL is so high, and hockey involves enough random factors, that I just don't think it's a smart calculated bet.

And CBJ has enough question marks. Bobrovsky, for one. A career .891 save percentage in the playoffs -- and his current .904 save percentage is his worst since 2011/12, and a huge drop off from his .921 and .931 of the prior two seasons.

In my view CBJ already messed up. They should have either traded Panarin in the offseason, or should have more seriously gone for it starting a couple years ago, e.g. done what it took to bring Duchene in and given the roster the injection of skill down the middle they were missing. Letting it get to the point in the offseason where Panarin could go public and announce he wasn't re-signing was foolish -- should have figured that out before July 1st and pulled the trigger instantly. I think it's a little late to make a big addition now to try to put the club over the top -- especially since big deadline adds seem to sometimes be pretty hit and miss. Jarmo has kind of just sat in the middle in my view -- a good roster but not one good enough to actually win anything, while playing chicken over the past year with two top UFAs and refusing to engage in a retool built around Jones / Werenski / Dubois.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
CBJ messed up in letting Doug MacLean ruin things from the get-go, and then thinking a guy from the Oilers organization would be an improvement. Jarmo's done an extraordinary job when you consider the doubled-up shambles his two predecessors left things.

I don't blame them for not pulling the plug at the very beginning of the season--they couldn't do that to the fans. That said, they're pretty much where we'd all expect them to be: Good...but not great.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
Leafs trading for Muzzin paid pretty heavy price for him. Maybe the Avs should be selling too in this market.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Leafs trading for Muzzin paid pretty heavy price for him. Maybe the Avs should be selling too in this market.

They managed to get a legit top four puckmoving defenseman and didn't have to part with a roster player or any of their prime prospects. That is the complete opposite of a heavy price.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
They managed to get a legit top four puckmoving defenseman and didn't have to part with a roster player or any of their prime prospects. That is the complete opposite of a heavy price.

Maybe not their top prospects but still pretty high on the list. I guess they get him for two playoff runs.

Would you give our 1st + Bowers + Meloche for 1.5 years of Muzzin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad