2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jesus Christ. $4.5m AAV after the guy has played like 20 games as a starter?

$13,500,000 over 3 years after a few good games????

Chia is truly ******ed. It’s shocking.

That’s how I feel about it as well. I don’t have an issue with the term. But $4.5 is pretty ridiculous.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I totally get the madness, but what other choice did he have? Trade for Varly and sign him to a bigger deal?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Oh I totally get the madness, but what other choice did he have? Trade for Varly and sign him to a bigger deal?

Sign somebody better than completely average Koskinen?

He’s literally been GOD AWFUL for half of his NHL starts, and is trending DOWN. A hot starting when no shooters knew him, now he’s getting lit up like a 30 year old nobody usually would be.

There’s zero justification for this contract.

What else could he have done? Actually doing nothing would have been better than hamstringing his team with yet another hilarious contract.

Reactions: dahrougem2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sign somebody better than completely average Koskinen?

He’s literally been GOD AWFUL for half of his NHL starts, and is trending DOWN. A hot starting when no shooters knew him, now he’s getting lit up like a 30 year old nobody usually would be.

There’s zero justification for this contract.

What else could he have done? Actually doing nothing would have been better than hamstringing his team with yet another hilarious contract.

Look down the UFA list... outside of Bob, there isn't anybody better (more of a statement about how bad the crop is). I agree it is a bad contract, and the dollar amount is way too much... I just don't think there are options there. Talbot should be gone. So Edmonton needs two goalies. This gives them one at a dollar amount low enough that they can possibly still go out and find a better solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppberg

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Look down the UFA list... outside of Bob, there isn't anybody better (more of a statement about how bad the crop is). I agree it is a bad contract, and the dollar amount is way too much... I just don't think there are options there. Talbot should be gone. So Edmonton needs to goalies. This gives them one at a dollar amount low enough that they can possibly still go out and find a better solution.

I mean spending 4.5 mil on a backup isn’t ideal imo. I mean they’re either paying that for an unproven starter or a backup. Both pretty sketchy if you as me.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Am I really high right now or did Pete just give a 30 year old goalie with 27 games played and a .911sv% 4.5 million dollars a year?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Looking at how we and other teams (Edmonton here) are struggling with goaltending issues makes me believe that the league is slowly going back to putting goalies near the top of importance in a team's structure (like in the 90's).

That's why we need to be visionary, anticipate what's coming and draft Spencer Knight. 4 years from now when goalies are back to being the most important players in the team we own the rights to one of the hottest young goalie in hockey.

PS: I know there's no guarantee Knight becomes elite but you gotta put the odds in your favor..and the odds are there.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I doubt it took signing Koskinen for him to feel that way, Darren.

Swapping Talbot for Varly, yea or nay? They probably won't do it because both teams are fighting for the same playoff spot but I'd do it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Swapping Talbot for Varly, yea or nay? They probably won't do it because both teams are fighting for the same playoff spot but I'd do it.

f*** it. I’d do it. Not like he’d hamstring us with his contract or Varly is that much better than him at this point.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's so crazy when GM's on the hotseat are allowed to double down and try to patch holes with high risk moves, instead of just rebuilding properly.

It's like putting your last $100 on black at the roulette table instead of buying food.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It does look like Chia is sabotaging the GM position for the next guy. He makes sure the new guy won't have any room to improve the team.

Reactions: klozge

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Coyotes 2 points back of the Avs now. Huge turnaround for them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Lord the Oilers are bad. They're getting ripped up by the Wings, with Koskinen allowing two heinous goals against. The new GM is going to just need a mulligan to get a new team and start over.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

A lot of talk locally and nationally about this happening recently and losing to the last place Wings might've pushed it over the edge. If you're going to make a GM change at this point, during the break is probably the way to go. They can't let Chiarelli handle the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad