2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They better hope Koskinen is for real, otherwise that contract would be an ugly long kiss goodbye from Chia.

Reactions: shadow1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's where I don't get you lot, Chiarelli is the worst GM in the league? Sure you guys can say that a million times, but to beat on the drum once again it starts at the owner Katz making terrible hires and trickling all the way down the organization. That team has been a coaching graveyard the past two decades since both teams (us and them) started our rebuilds' in 2009. It comes from the old boys gang hiring all their ex-friends and then re-hiring them like they did with the entire MacTavish saga; hired, coaching, fired, re-hired, and then left again or got fired (I stopped paying attention). That's Tony Granato situation on steroids, lol.

Lowe should've been gone in year 2013 yet Katz keeps them there since he's the only bloke who comes to his son's birthday parties lol. Then the Bob Nicholson situation is just same of the worst, this bloke was political 101 with Hockey Canada and once they fire Chiarelli, how can you give me faith as a hockey fan that they will actually make a good hire? All their previous ones have been terrible and it won't change because inept people are the ones making the important decisions.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's where I don't get you lot, Chiarelli is the worst GM in the league? Sure you guys can say that a million times, but to beat on the drum once again it starts at the owner Katz making terrible hires and trickling all the way down the organization. That team has been a coaching graveyard the past two decades since both teams (us and them) started our rebuilds' in 2009. It comes from the old boys gang hiring all their ex-friends and then re-hiring them like they did with the entire MacTavish saga; hired, coaching, fired, re-hired, and then left again or got fired (I stopped paying attention). That's Tony Granato situation on steroids, lol.

Lowe should've been gone in year 2013 yet Katz keeps them there since he's the only bloke who comes to his son's birthday parties lol. Then the Bob Nicholson situation is just same of the worst, this bloke was political 101 with Hockey Canada and once they fire Chiarelli, how can you give me faith as a hockey fan that they will actually make a good hire? All their previous ones have been terrible and it won't change because inept people are the ones making the important decisions.
You can't fire owners, though. And there have been cases in the past of teams succeeding despite having a poor owner.

Chiarelli is the worst GM of the post-cap era and it's not even close. Even prior Oilers GM's don't come close to his level of incompetence.

Reactions: klozge

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When you have pretty much lost ten trades in a row, some of them turning out to be very ugly, you are the worst GM in the league. In the last ten years, Hall for Larsson and 16th overall (with Connor, Barzal, Chabot available) + 32nd overall for Griffin Reinhart are top five bad trades. Turning Eberle into Strome into Spooner into unclaimed waiver bait isn't particularly good either. I don't even blame him for the Justin Schultz for a 3rd trade, since Schultz was bad in Edmonton.

I fully agree the problems in Edmonton go way beyond the GM though. The glory days attitude needs to stop. Purge the alumni.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Katz and the old boys club is definitely an issue so them going outside the organization and bringing in Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan made me think maybe things were changing. I actually thought hiring Chiarelli and McLellan were good moves when they made them because it was a change from the same old stuff so I can't bash that decision too much now. In hindsight it was obviously terrible and Chiarelli made the situation much worse. Then Katz started up with the Gretzky and Coffey stuff again and is likely still getting advice from Lowe.

Reactions: shadow1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You can't fire owners, though. And there have been cases in the past of teams succeeding despite having a poor owner.

Chiarelli is the worst GM of the post-cap era and it's not even close. Even prior Oilers GM's don't come close to his level of incompetence.
I totally get that, you can't fire owners so that is why I have absolutely zero faith in them ever succeeding until Katz does a 180 on his hockey personnel. History is on my side in regards to team being successful with bad ownership.

Every prior GM doesn't? Chiarelli is probably the worst, but that's a weird statement since a team who has accumulated the amount of 1st overall draft picks let alone top 5 draft picks as they have hasn't had a good GM in the 21st century.

Katz and the old boys club is definitely an issue so them going outside the organization and bringing in Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan made me think maybe things were changing. I actually thought hiring Chiarelli and McLellan were good moves when they made them because it was a change from the same old stuff so I can't bash that decision too much now. In hindsight it was obviously terrible and Chiarelli made the situation much worse. Then Katz started up with the Gretzky and Coffey stuff again and is likely still getting advice from Lowe.
As I said from my previous post, Nicholson is as "old boyz" as you can possibly get. There is a reason why Katz and Lowe both hired him, they like him and if both of those idiots like a dude then you're in big trouble as a fanbase of that team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Every prior GM doesn't? Chiarelli is probably the worst, but that's a weird statement since a team who has accumulated the amount of 1st overall draft picks let alone top 5 draft picks as they have hasn't had a good GM in the 21st century.
The reason I say he's the worst is because he was gifted a team that could become terrifying very quickly. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Klefbom, Nurse, Schultz all on his roster, and then he had the potential with the 16th overall pick to select one of Barzal/Connor/Chabot.

He had every opportunity to turn the Oilers into a legit contender, and he has failed miserably. He has surrounded his stars with absolute trash, and traded his better players for awful ones.

Reactions: klozge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The reason I say he's the worst is because he was gifted a team that could become terrifying very quickly. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Klefbom, Nurse, Schultz all on his roster, and then he had the potential with the 16th overall pick to select one of Barzal/Connor/Chabot.

He had every opportunity to turn the Oilers into a legit contender, and he has failed miserably. He has surrounded his stars with absolute trash, and traded his better players for awful ones.
Perfect example of old boy gang at work and getting a recommendation by a WHL GM to pick Reinhart. Lol.

I suggest that the Lightning are the perfect example, a new bloke bought the team in 2009 and pretty much cleared house after they drafted Stamkos and the Melrose hire turned out to be a huge bust. They took a chance on Yzerman in 2010, through him and Vinik they hired Cooper as AHL coach in 2010, was able to poach a Frenchman from the Habs as assistant GM in Brisebois, hired Al Murray as Director of Amateur Scouting in 2010, Stacey Roest as director of player development in 2013, and Pat Verbeek as head of pro scouting in 2010. Some of these were Yzerman's friends like Verbeek and probably others, but every single one has been an outside hire from hockey minds.

In Oilers case, they hired Nicholson who's close buddies with Lowe and Chiarelli, Bob ****ING Green is Director of Player Personnel who was Griffin Reinhart's GM of the Edmonton Oil Kings at the time and during his first year with the Oilers he told Edmonton to draft him. Bill Scott is Director of Hockey Operations and he came from their AHL team. Craig "revolving door" MacTavish is still Vice President of Hockey Operations. How in the name of God does he still have a job with that organization? Howson is far from blame, but they rehired him as VP of Hockey Operation and Player Development after he was fired from the CBJ organization from pretty much zero results (another man's treasure is another man's trash which is still the original man's treasure is Oilers logic 101). Hell, they hired Duane Sutter as another VP of operations just because of his bloodline and that he's probably buddies with someone in the organization. They have three ****ing Vice Presidents for some unknown reason and all of them came from within the organization. I have no problem promoting from within, but one playoff appearance in twelve years is hilarious yet no fresh eyes. Hitchcock is totally passed his prime and any positivity that came from him is solely due to his experience (which can only take you so far).

You're trying to find the answer in a pile of trash when the answer is the trash itself. Can Oilers become better? Sure since Chiarelli is so bad at his job, but without any substantial front office change I can't see how this team can ever become Cup contenders. Anything is possible with McDavid as your 1st line centre, but look at the Penguins with both Malkin and Crosby and didn't accomplish much of anything after they won their 2009 Cup. So much more is needed besides him; they have nobody close to Letang or can do a potent combo of Murray/Fleury. Stuart Skinner is just one lad, he is far from ready, and he isn't Carter Hart.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Perfect example of old boy gang at work and getting a recommendation by a WHL GM to pick Reinhart. Lol.

I suggest that the Lightning are the perfect example, a new bloke bought the team in 2009 and pretty much cleared house after they drafted Stamkos and the Melrose hire turned out to be a huge bust. They took a chance on Yzerman in 2010, through him and Vinik they hired Cooper as AHL coach in 2010, was able to poach a Frenchman from the Habs as assistant GM in Brisebois, hired Al Murray as Director of Amateur Scouting in 2010, Stacey Roest as director of player development in 2013, and Pat Verbeek as head of pro scouting in 2010. Some of these were Yzerman's friends like Verbeek and probably others, but every single one has been an outside hire from hockey minds.

In Oilers case, they hired Nicholson who's close buddies with Lowe and Chiarelli, Bob ****ING Green is Director of Player Personnel who was Griffin Reinhart's GM of the Edmonton Oil Kings at the time and during his first year with the Oilers he told Edmonton to draft him. Bill Scott is Director of Hockey Operations and he came from their AHL team. Craig "revolving door" MacTavish is still Vice President of Hockey Operations. How in the name of God does he still have a job with that organization? Howson is far from blame, but they rehired him as VP of Hockey Operation and Player Development after he was fired from the CBJ organization from pretty much zero results (another man's treasure is another man's trash which is still the original man's treasure is Oilers logic 101). Hell, they hired Duane Sutter as another VP of operations just because of his bloodline and that he's probably buddies with someone in the organization. They have three ****ing Vice Presidents for some unknown reason and all of them came from within the organization. I have no problem promoting from within, but one playoff appearance in twelve years is hilarious yet no fresh eyes. Hitchcock is totally passed his prime and any positivity that came from him is solely due to his experience (which can only take you so far).

You're trying to find the answer in a pile of trash when the answer is the trash itself. Can Oilers become better? Sure since Chiarelli is so bad at his job, but without any substantial front office change I can't see how this team can ever become Cup contenders. Anything is possible with McDavid as your 1st line centre, but look at the Penguins with both Malkin and Crosby and didn't accomplish much of anything after they won their 2009 Cup. So much more is needed besides him; they have nobody close to Letang or can do a potent combo of Murray/Fleury. Stuart Skinner is just one lad, he is far from ready, and he isn't Carter Hart.
I'm not arguing with anything that you're saying here. You're 100% right in your assessment of the organization, it's been known for a while.

The problem I have with Chiarelli is he made even more egregious errors than his predecessors while being given a much better core to build around. That's what makes him worse.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Only took losing to the Red Wings. And signing a nobody goalie for 3 years. And signing Lucic to a team-killing contract. And trading a Hart winner for a middle-pairing D. And

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Imagine what it must be like being an Oilers fan. Makes our struggles over the past decade look bearable.

Reactions: Foppberg

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

It's fun to think that Chia was giving the Oilers organization the middle finger on the way out and that this is proof of it. However that Koskinen deal doesn't happen without approval from other parts of the Oilers FO. If anything the Koskinen deal is proof that the Oilers problem goes further than Chia. Getting rid of Chia is great however there's still problems in the organization that need to be dealt with. Oilers fans best hope is that the organization stumbles into a good GM.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Chia getting fired is about as dysfunctional as it gets and it stems from ownership. That said the Ken Holland race just got interesting between Seattle and Edmonton.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Chia getting fired is about as dysfunctional as it gets and it stems from ownership. That said the Ken Holland race just got interesting between Seattle and Edmonton.
I said it before, but firing him just a couple of days after they signed Koskinen pretty much proves he was a figurehead much like Sherm and Giguere were here. Fall guys for those really in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad