2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Carcone was also a Benning acquisition. And I was extremely positive on Carcone before he was traded. Try again.

Yes. We know you probably bought the AHL package and saw Carcone play a few games this season where you found him impressive. While I was happy to hear about Carcone's development, the Comets posters have told you that he is capable of having some hot streaks. He's far from being an NHL player.

What I don't get is that you seem to have thrown away your usual analysis. One would expect you to talk about Carcone's odds of making the NHL in terms of undrafted player who is in his 3rd year in the AHL but only has 6 goals in 20 games. Playmaking wingers rarely make it and stay in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong. Carcone may very well be a late bloomer and I can see you being upset the Canucks traded him for Leivo. But Carcone over Dahlen? What about his waiver status? I thought that was something you care about too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes. We know you probably bought the AHL package and saw Carcone play a few games this season where you found him impressive. While I was happy to hear about Carcone's development, the Comets posters have told you that he is capable of having some hot streaks. He's far from being an NHL player.

What I don't get is that you seem to have thrown away your usual analysis. One would expect you to talk about Carcone's odds of making the NHL in terms of undrafted player who is in his 3rd year in the AHL but only has 6 goals in 20 games. Playmaking wingers rarely make it and stay in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong. Carcone may very well be a late bloomer and I can see you being upset the Canucks traded him for Leivo. But Carcone over Dahlen? What about his waiver status? I thought that was something you care about too.

Carcone will probably bust.

Dahlen will probably bust.

I think Carcone’s skating ability makes him a bit better bet. By like 1 ranking in our prospect pool if both were still in it.

I’ve said repeatedly that I’m ok with the trade, and that I’m only taking issue with the ‘career minor leaguer, no loss’ takes of people who haven’t watched them play.

Is this that hard?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Carcone will probably bust.

Dahlen will probably bust.

I think Carcone’s skating ability makes him a bit better bet. By like 1 ranking in our prospect pool if both were still in it.

I’ve said repeatedly that I’m ok with the trade, and that I’m only taking issue with the ‘career minor leaguer, no loss’ takes of people who haven’t watched them play.

Is this that hard?

I disagree with your Dahlen vs Carcone assessment.

Regardless, so you are ok with the trade, think Carcone will probably bust, but you take issue with career minor leaguer no loss comment? Aren't you just nitpicking here?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
* - He may not have been tackled or physically taken out of the play but he created that space by faking the pass to Kero and it was stuffing home his own rebound in the crease. It was a notable play as it shows a bit of courage maybe we hadn't seen as much of earlier, that's the part of the ice a player is at risk of getting levelled unless they are very large and he was willing. As to the play where he went to the boards and was down for a moment against Binghampton I'm more encouraged with the play that resulted in that. He took a pass and got off a good backhand chance while skating to the net, all made possible by some very good edgework. He was being hounded as he got his backhand off and shoved down, sending him across the ice heavily into the boards. He may have gone a bit quiet after that, but my biggest takeaway was that once again he was willing to go to tough areas to get that sort of shot off in the first place under pressure.

I went back and watched some of his highlights to compare his where he scores his goals in Sweden to what we've seen so far. He's not going to get as much time and space as he did there, but a lot of his goals were scored within a few feet of the net. I'm now a bit more optimistic he at least has the courage to do the same in North America despite the increased physicality and will learn to use his skating to be a bit more slippery so he doesn't get wrecked on the regular. He's not shown toughness when things get nasty or when the hits start flying, but is willing to "pay the price" in the "dirty areas". I'm hoping he continues that and is tough in the same way the Sedin's were tough. Pardon the use of too many cliches.

** - Yes, I think I've mentioned this in previous post, I agree they needed more centres or at the very least should have shifted Gaunce over earlier. It's not like he's been that great, but at least he drives play in the right direction and is way way way better the Cameranesi or Darcy.

*** - Yes, agree, I replied to a comment by Orcatown on the previous page. Binghampton was running our defence hard, and even when they didn't hit them, were playing the intimidation game by pulling up on big hits at the last minute even if the puck was long gone. Tangradi and the guy who hit Breisbois should get long suspensions in my mind, that was way over the line in both cases. I really hope Sautner is going to be OK, that looked bad and I'm a bit worried about a potential eye injury but seen anything online about his status.

Young D-men are playing key roles on this team and they aren't the physical nasty types either. In some ways it's good in that they get taste of having to play fast and handle hard forechecks, because it's even faster in the NHL and it's a contact sport after all. But the downside risk of injury is a significant concern. I would like to see the team to start taking some preventative measures in the next couple of games by dropping the gloves with the next person to try that stuff, even if it's a clean hit. It may be time for Archie, Woods and MacEwan to spend some time in the box, even if they are key parts of the team. Anyone know when Arseneau is due back?

Let's keep in mind that the Comets were on a 5 on 3 power play at the time so the chance of Dahlen getting leveled by going to the net were very low. Dahlen did a nice job of freezing the one defender in front of the net in the triangle configuration with the fake pass to Kero but the lack of players on the ice for the T-Birds was the main reason for the skating lane to the net.

Dahlen has looked better recently but all of his goals have come on the power play where he has more space to work. Now he needs to take that success to 5 on 5 situations where he hasn't been very effective.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Let's keep in mind that the Comets were on a 5 on 3 power play at the time so the chance of Dahlen getting leveled by going to the net were very low. Dahlen did a nice job of freezing the one defender in front of the net in the triangle configuration with the fake pass to Kero but the lack of players on the ice for the T-Birds was the main reason for the skating lane to the net.

Dahlen has looked better recently but all of his goals have come on the power play where he has more space to work. Now he needs to take that success to 5 on 5 situations where he hasn't been very effective.

Baby steps, but they are steps in the right direction.

Hopefully Gadjovich and Palmu will start producing. But playing with plumbers is a hard way to develop young talent...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hope Dahlen proves he can handle AHL and later NHL. I belive he will.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

He still remains mostly on the perimeter, does not go to the net when traffic exists. I thought I made that clear, but realize not as well as I should have to explain his 5 on 3 PP goal. Thanks for the clarification.

Will give him credit for the play he was flung to the boards. We will have to see if that play encourages him to do such again or discourages him from it. Those boards don't move and he hit pretty hard without the weight of the opponent following him into to them.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Comets have signed a defenceman to a PTO:

Utica Comets Add Defenceman Colton Saucerman On PTO
Henrik Sedin should probably sue anyone named "Saucer-Man" for trademark infringement.

Particularly when this is clearly a different superhero, Beard-Man:

0fd4b182-0b41-4b02-8a95-705904d5d1dd-large16x9_ColtonSaucerman.jpg

Msukbpbg

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Why do you persist with this blatant untruth?

I won't speak for anyone else, but I think Benning has been an absolutely terrible GM and has set the franchise back years. But he has made some good moves, such as the Dahlen and Bieksa trades. Again, I'm not aware of a single "anti-Benning" poster that would deny that, and I don't think you are either.
Not untrue in the slightest, just try reading the forum.

You either haven't read anything in here or you just don't want to believe it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree with your Dahlen vs Carcone assessment.

Regardless, so you are ok with the trade, think Carcone will probably bust, but you take issue with career minor leaguer no loss comment? Aren't you just nitpicking here?

Woo and Madden will probably bust, too. Doesn’t mean their loss is insignificant.

Also, for you to accuse someone else of nitpicking is the height of irony.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The signing of the career ECHL D-man, Saucerman, to a PTO likely means Sautner is not coming back right away from the hit he took Sunday in Binghamton.

It means their summer acquisition, Anselmini, is not worth calling back again, up 11/28 sent back down 12/1.

Jagger Dirk another summer acquisition was assigned to Kalamazoo on 1o/19 never having played in any of the Comets' first 7 games.
He was recalled on 10/26 and played in the game against the Rochester Americans in which the Comets lost 4-0. He was immediately returned to the Zoo on 10/19.
With the injuries to Juolevi and Chatfield at the same time, he was recalled on 11/23 when Juolevi's injury which was first said to be day to day turned out to be worse. He has been in Utica ever since and has not played in a single game.
Seeing Anselmini come and go and now the arrival of Saucerman. it does not look like he will be playing now either.

Saucerman is 26, 5'9",195 lbs. He was undrafted after 4 yrs at NCAA Northeastern. He's been with 3 different ECHL teams in his 3 professional seasons and has been loaned to 5 AHL teams including the Comets today. He has played 17 AHL games and has recorded 5 assists and 8 PIM.

This whole thing makes me laugh. Johnson claimed he signed the ECHL dolts he did this past summer to provide the Comets with call-ups to avoid the problems they had last year in signing a ****load of PTOs to cover injuries and call-ups (56 players played for the Comets last year. Isaid when they were signed that these guys were not capable of being adequate AHL fill-ins.

Dirk - NO
Anselmini - ZOO, NO
Now another outside PTO/Saucerman.

Up front
Reid Gardiner - Assigned to the Zoo out of camp. Recalled 10/31, returned to the Zoo 11/28. Played a total of 5 games, 3 at center with Gadjovich and Palmu for 2 games, and one with Gadjovich and PTO Kile. He recorded no points.

Alex Kile - PTO on loan from ECHL Maine Mariners. Played 4 games/no points. Currently on loan to AHL Hartford.

Tony Cameranesi - PTO on loan from ECHL Manchester Monarchs, 12GP/3 PTs. Currently a regular at CENTER.

Kyle Thomas - ZOO/NO - never even call up.
Brendan Bradley - Zo0/NO - never called up.

He also signed Woods, Darcy, and Hamilton to center.

The 2 that were re-upped that were okay signings were Blujus and Bancks. They really are the only 2 that should have been brought back.

The reserves will never be good enough to serve the roles Johnson signed them for, thus, the # of PTOs signed already.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The signing of the career ECHL D-man, Saucerman, to a PTO likely means Sautner is not coming back right away from the hit he took Sunday in Binghamton.

It means their summer acquisition, Anselmini, is not worth calling back again, up 11/28 sent back down 12/1.

Jagger Dirk another summer acquisition was assigned to Kalamazoo on 1o/19 never having played in any of the Comets' first 7 games.
He was recalled on 10/26 and played in the game against the Rochester Americans in which the Comets lost 4-0. He was immediately returned to the Zoo on 10/19.
With the injuries to Juolevi and Chatfield at the same time, he was recalled on 11/23 when Juolevi's injury which was first said to be day to day turned out to be worse. He has been in Utica ever since and has not played in a single game.
Seeing Anselmini come and go and now the arrival of Saucerman. it does not look like he will be playing now either.

Saucerman is 26, 5'9",195 lbs. He was undrafted after 4 yrs at NCAA Northeastern. He's been with 3 different ECHL teams in his 3 professional seasons and has been loaned to 5 AHL teams including the Comets today. He has played 17 AHL games and has recorded 5 assists and 8 PIM.

This whole thing makes me laugh. Johnson claimed he signed the ECHL dolts he did this past summer to provide the Comets with call-ups to avoid the problems they had last year in signing a ****load of PTOs to cover injuries and call-ups (56 players played for the Comets last year. Isaid when they were signed that these guys were not capable of being adequate AHL fill-ins.

Dirk - NO
Anselmini - ZOO, NO
Now another outside PTO/Saucerman.

Up front
Reid Gardiner - Assigned to the Zoo out of camp. Recalled 10/31, returned to the Zoo 11/28. Played a total of 5 games, 3 at center with Gadjovich and Palmu for 2 games, and one with Gadjovich and PTO Kile. He recorded no points.

Alex Kile - PTO on loan from ECHL Maine Mariners. Played 4 games/no points. Currently on loan to AHL Hartford.

Tony Cameranesi - PTO on loan from ECHL Manchester Monarchs, 12GP/3 PTs. Currently a regular at CENTER.

Kyle Thomas - ZOO/NO - never even call up.
Brendan Bradley - Zo0/NO - never called up.

He also signed Woods, Darcy, and Hamilton to center.

The 2 that were re-upped that were okay signings were Blujus and Bancks. They really are the only 2 that should have been brought back.

The reserves will never be good enough to serve the roles Johnson signed them for, thus, the # of PTOs signed already.
Sautner won't be back anytime soon.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The way I saw the hit, I thought it was a butt end. People relying on the League or refs to discipline these types of plays are living in Lala land. The Comets were getting run all weekend.

Had my orbital bone broken once and at same time tore my ciliary muscles. Had double vision for about 6 months and had to go through eye movement therapy to refocus my sight to get rid of the vision issues. Would think Sautner is done for the year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Anybody think that Johnson and Benning will get the Comets a replacement for Sautner beyond the ECHL. Chatfield and Juolevi still out and the rest of the D must believe they are playing with targets on their heads and the red dot keeps showing up on their person.

Oh, well what does it matter anyways. We've been told a 1,000 times by posters from Vancouver, it's just a development league anyways. Their impression of the AHL is a graduated level of Jrs. and not the the 3rd/4th best professional league in the world. I'll take 3rd and that's my opinion. Any arguments trying to prove otherwise are irrelevant as an opinion is just that. Putting this team together knowing the league and who and what plays in it was a disgrace and complete disservice to the players chosen to play here. I am not talking about Their skills either. It is primarily a team that is made up of majority of players who cannot taker care of themselves against the type of competition they would come up against.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sautner won't be back anytime soon.

It was disgusting. Watching Sautner writhing around on the ice kicking his feet and Tangradi not even tossed from the game made me sick. Of course no response from the timid, soft as butter Comets. Benning is obviously counting on Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen getting badly injured via cheap shots as well considering the roster he has assembled. How could he not be given the makeup of the roster.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sad injury. I think most canuck fans are in favour of a good goon for minor league team. No reason Peluso could not play in Utica. Canuck fans would like more toughness on our team as well. We are out gunned in the organization. When we are better teams will attack this weakness more obviously.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
It was disgusting. Watching Sautner writhing around on the ice kicking his feet and Tangradi not even tossed from the game made me sick. Of course no response from the timid, soft as butter Comets. Benning is obviously counting on Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen getting badly injured via cheap shots as well considering the roster he has assembled. How could he not be given the makeup of the roster.
Very disappointed in Archibald who was standing right there when it happened.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sad injury. I think most canuck fans are in favour of a good goon for minor league team. No reason Peluso could not play in Utica. Canuck fans would like more toughness on our team as well. We are out gunned in the organization. When we are better teams will attack this weakness more obviously.
It's been open season on the Comets the past two games. I mean teams are actively running around trying to injure Comets players. Consider the Sautner incident a success in that regard with more, much more to come.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's been open season on the Comets the past two games. I mean teams are actively running around trying to injure Comets players. Consider the Sautner incident a success in that regard with more, much more to come.

People also seem to forget the same kind of hit on the end boards that cost McEneny the whole of last season and watching him skate now probably his NHL career. The strong physical types they employed on D last season were Wiercioch and Holme, neither of who actually knew what physical hockey was.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Whoever is in charge seems not to know anything about the AHL and I suspect that person is Francesco Aquilini. I believe Mr Aquilini may be micro managing every detail of the hockey operation including the farm. This would explain the refusal to meet the basic minimum on ice needs of the Comets to ice a competitive team, ie Mr Aquilini simply isn't convinced of the need for veteran centers, toughness etc.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
On Archibald: He was somewhat intimidating earlier in his career. However, several season ago he seems to give up that role and concentrate on developing himself as player. Began turning down numerous chances to mix it up with opponents. He did develop as a player and it might have been the team told him he should look to this. You can also sense, however, that he wasn't interested in playing that role - maybe not in his character. He still occasionally fights but mostly this is a result of him looking out for himself.

Others, who could fight and provide some deterrence , include MacEwen, Woods, Sifers.

MacEwen is clearly focused on developing as a player and mostly looks to avoid confrontations. Again will defend himself (and does pretty well then) but has no interest in playing the enforcer.

Woods is a no talent player who seems injured a lot. Adequate scrapper but no heavyweight. You could find many players that could play better than Woods and provide more push back. Bringing Woods back is another example of questionable decisions by Johnson and co. Woods has minimal skills (1 goal and 2 assists in 23 games) and seemingly gets hurt every time he does get physical.

Sifers is an aging vet who periodically steps up. He is smallish and again not a real deterrence. Liked the fact that he was at least giving it verbally to Tangradi for the hit as he was the only one that did anything.

Another player who is more physical is Arseneau. He's been hurt since he broke his hand in a fight. When in the lineup he is the only player that regularly steps up to defend teammates. Would say he is an enforcer type but of the lower echelon in that department.

Only other player of size is Gaunce but he is strictly a non-fighter.

Gadjovich was suppose to bring toughness but has been, up to this point, one of softest, if not the softest, players on the team.

Most of the others in their League have size up and down the lineup and then a couple of real tough players who are free to slam around the Comets at will.

Reactions: Bad Goalie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad