2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always appreciate BG's candid assessments of our prospects in Utica. It really helps to hear from someone who actually sees these kids on every shift, night after night. And I'm also intrigued about the move of Jasek to the middle. One thing that stood out for me at Prospects Tournament and in training was this kid's skating. He certainly has the wheels to play center, but does he have the vision or hockey sense?

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Fascinating. If the kid has no symptoms, has cleared concussion protocol and is cleared by doctors, let him play. My words are so offensive. I apologize for the controversial nature of my post.

You asked for an example and I gave you one.

What you don't get or the 'fascinating' thing about what you wrote was your reasoning to let him play.

A) you ignore my explanation that concussions are extremely difficult to diagnose.

B) All cases are different

C) Players can't diagnose themselves so their 'wants' is not a factor

D) Canucks medical staff are, simply, not good. They have a history of errors in this regard, latest being Demko.

E) Caution is preferred over anything else

F) etc...

Your reasoning is that you want him to win the Calder and 90% of the people here have had a concussion and resumed normal activity within a couple weeks. Really?

Just the fact that I have to explain that your job, and 90% of the people's here, cannot be comparable to Professional hockey players. C'mon, you really can't comprehend the notion that we don't have to be concerned of our peers intentionally trying to hit us and cause injuries? The obvious risks of another concussion in hockey is massively greater than yours when you go to work. You just want to ignore this too?

So no, it's not your words that are offensive or controversial, it's the fact that you won't acknowledge logic and continue to deny any common sense.

It's not complicated or complex. It's that people continue to defend their position with another illogical point...why bother?

Why not just say, 'I see your point...still have questions, but I get where you're getting from'. Instead of denying common sense or giving some snarky remark like you just did.

This leads to the second problem with posters who can't accept logic.

'Fascinating. If the kid has no symptoms, has cleared concussion protocol and is cleared by doctors, let him play.'

Nothing to argue, so you resort sarcasm and start from the beginning again. Continue to ignore what was explained earlier and act like you're the victim.

'My words are so offensive. I apologize for the controversial nature of my post.'

First off, we already explained (A-F above) why it isn't wise to just let him play. Being cautious is better for Pete and the future of the Canucks. Why should we have to repeat it again? That was the initial disagreement FFS! I gave you the reasons why....

Nobody needs a half-a$$ apology....and you and I know you're not genuine. So stop trying to gather brownie points from others and move on.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You asked for an example and I gave you one.

What you don't get or the 'fascinating' thing about what you wrote was your reasoning to let him play.

A) you ignore my explanation that concussions are extremely difficult to diagnose.

B) All cases are different

C) Players can't diagnose themselves so their 'wants' is not a factor

D) Canucks medical staff are, simply, not good. They have a history of errors in this regard, latest being Demko.

E) Caution is preferred over anything else

F) etc...

Your reasoning is that you want him to win the Calder and 90% of the people here have had a concussion and resumed normal activity within a couple weeks. Really?

Just the fact that I have to explain that your job, and 90% of the people's here, cannot be comparable to Professional hockey players. C'mon, you really can't comprehend the notion that we don't have to be concerned of our peers intentionally trying to hit us and cause injuries? The obvious risks of another concussion in hockey is massively greater than yours when you go to work. You just want to ignore this too?

So no, it's not your words that are offensive or controversial, it's the fact that you won't acknowledge logic and continue to deny any common sense.

It's not complicated or complex. It's that people continue to defend their position with another illogical point...why bother?

Why not just say, 'I see your point...still have questions, but I get where you're getting from'. Instead of denying common sense or giving some snarky remark like you just did.

This leads to the second problem with posters who can't accept logic.

'Fascinating. If the kid has no symptoms, has cleared concussion protocol and is cleared by doctors, let him play.'

Nothing to argue, so you resort sarcasm and start from the beginning again. Continue to ignore what was explained earlier and act like you're the victim.

'My words are so offensive. I apologize for the controversial nature of my post.'

First off, we already explained (A-F above) why it isn't wise to just let him play. Being cautious is better for Pete and the future of the Canucks. Why should we have to repeat it again? That was the initial disagreement FFS! I gave you the reasons why....

Nobody needs a half-a$$ apology....and you and I know you're not genuine. So stop trying to gather brownie points from others and move on.
I was 100% not being genuine with my apology. I feel no remorse for my opinions. I would love to see you tell EP that he needs to sit a few extra weeks because you are nervous and concussions are unpredictable. He wouldn’t stop at an eye roll, you may receive a slap. I suspect EP will play Saturday and will be 100% fine. Let’s discuss on Sunday whether it was the right choice.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
I was 100% not being genuine with my apology. I feel no remorse for my opinions. I would love to see you tell EP that he needs to sit a few extra weeks because you are nervous and concussions are unpredictable. He wouldn’t stop at an eye roll, you may receive a slap. I suspect EP will play Saturday and will be 100% fine. Let’s discuss on Sunday whether it was the right choice.

So you admit you were trolling for a sympathy vote and just acting the part of a victim, got it.

If I was a doctor or in a position to make the decision, I would be more concerned about his health than upsetting him. I would tell him straight to his face and any other player I was concerned about. I wouldn't be scared of getting slapped and it wouldn't even cross my mind as a reason to not be straight up. Where do you even come up with something like that? haha You often slap your doctor or manager when they don't give you what you want?

AGAIN, you still don't get it. This is not about when Pete will play...FFS, where did this come from?

And, your assumption that Pete playing on Sunday will result in proving one of us right or wrong is logically unsound... how are you not getting it?

Reactions: daddyohsix

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So you admit you were trolling for a sympathy vote and just acting the part of a victim, got it.

If I was a doctor or in a position to make the decision, I would be more concerned about his health than upsetting him. I would tell him straight to his face and any other player I was concerned about. I wouldn't be scared of getting slapped and it wouldn't even cross my mind as a reason to not be straight up. Where do you even come up with something like that? haha You often slap your doctor or manager when they don't give you what you want?

AGAIN, you still don't get it. This is not about when Pete will play...FFS, where did this come from?

And, your assumption that Pete playing on Sunday will result in proving one of us right or wrong is logically unsound... how are you not getting it?
I was using sarcasm, not trolling. My point hasn’t waivered. If he passes concussion protocol, the doctors clear him AND EP has no symptoms great. Next step is EP saying he is comfortable and ready to play. Nobody is suggesting to force the kid to play before he feels ready. I’m just taking issue with dismissing the process and dismissing what EP wants and sitting him further because you are scared he isn’t ready.

This is a contact sport and EP has to adapt. He isn’t some soft faberge egg that needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap and sung lullaby’s at night so he can fall asleep. EP is a competitor that wants to be on the ice and he isn’t a beta that wants to sit on the sidelines until he stops being scared.

EP hasn’t been hit hard once this year. He is an elusive player that uses his intelligence to avoid hard contact. He was the victim of a cheap shot. I hope/ don’t anticipate that will happen next Saturday or in the foreseeable future.

Anyways, this is a Utica thread so let’s take it elsewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds like Jan 1 is the renewal date for the affiliation

Fingers crossed everyone:

Sometimes you have to seriously wonder if the people stumping for Abbotsford's return to the AHL as a Canucks affiliate, have a basic grasp of NA geography. According to Google Maps, the closest AHL team is in San Jose, which is 1579.9 kilometers from Vancouver.

So instead of practices five times a week in Utica, the Canuck prospects would be trading that in for the equivalent amount of hours in a plane. I suppose it might prepare some players for the marathon road trips that most West Coast NHL teams have to go through. But that's about it.

And the City of Abbotsford--which got badly burned financially by the disastrous liaison with the Calgary Flames, won't be any mood to offer much in the way of financial guarantees. It all makes little sense to me.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like the idea of prospects having a ton of training time and a light travel schedule. i also like the fan culture of the old ahl towns like utica that support the heck out of an ahl team and have ahl level rivalries. utica is the place for me.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I’d like to see the farm team in The lower mainland. Soon Seattle will be in and likely have their farm team out west. Maybe a couple of teams in Spokane and Portland?
I think a lot of fans here would be thrilled to watch our prospects play.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Sometimes you have to seriously wonder if the people stumping for Abbotsford's return to the AHL as a Canucks affiliate, have a basic grasp of NA geography.
I think they also narrow it down to "Hey, remember that time we couldn't call a guy up in time for a game? Now that would never happen again!" As though the Canucks or their farm team are never on the road. Even if a lot of Canuck road games are farther west, I still find the trade-off just bonkers for this relatively rare scenario when you think of the added extra burden.

Down the road, one day the Canucks will need an emergency call up while they're playing in Washington or Pittsburgh or something and these people will just as much curse the fact that the Canucks' Fraser Valley farm team isn't located closer to most NHL cities.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think they also narrow it down to "Hey, remember that time we couldn't call a guy up in time for a game? Now that would never happen again!" As though the Canucks or their farm team are never on the road. Even if a lot of Canuck road games are farther west, I still find the trade-off just bonkers for this relatively rare scenario when you think of the added extra burden.

Down the road, one day the Canucks will need an emergency call up while they're playing in Washington or Pittsburgh or something and these people will just as much curse the fact that the Canucks' Fraser Valley farm team isn't located closer to most NHL cities.
Comets could play at the Coliseum. They won’t survive in Abby but they would do great in Vancouver. Utica needs a team and are a great market but it makes sense for the farm team to be closer imo. Hopefully another NHL team would relocate to Utica immediately

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Comets could play at the Coliseum. They won’t survive in Abby but they would do great in Vancouver. Utica needs a team and are a great market but it makes sense for the farm team to be closer imo. Hopefully another NHL team would relocate to Utica immediately

The major hurdle with a team in Vancouver, the Lower mainland, really anywhere west of Ontario, is that the closest team in the division is San Jose and they travel by bus.

Reactions: Hit the post

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
384.png
390.png

CHARLOTTE CHECKERS (5-1-0-0) @ UTICA COMETS (4-4-0-0)
Adirondack Bank Center - Utica, NY
October 24, 2018 - 7:00PM EDT

Starting goaltenders
Checkers: Scott Darling (0 GP, 0-0-0, 0.00 GAA, .000 Save%, 0 shutouts)
Comets: Ivan Kulbakov (4 GP, 3-1-0, 3.54 GAA, .898 Save%, 0 shutouts)

Checkers statistical leaders
Goals: *Nicolas Roy (5)
Assists: Andrew Poturalski (7)
+/-: Roland McKeown, *Nicolas Roy (+6)
PIMS: Josiah Didier (22)

*Nicolas Roy not on starting roster - called up to Carolina (NHL)

Comets statistical leaders
Goals: *Reid Boucher (9)
Assists: Tanner Kero (7)
+/-: Michael Carcone (+4)
PIMS: Brendan Woods (41)

*Reid Boucher not on starting roster - injured

Comets scratches
Healthy: D Jesse Graham
Injured/sick: D Jalen Chatfield, D Ashton Sautner, F Kole Lind, F Brendan Gaunce, F Reid Boucher, F Wacey Hamilton

Forward lines and D pairs (per Ben Birnell, Utica Observer-Dispatch)
Game 9: Checkers at Comets

Dahlen - Kero - MacEwen
MacMaster - Bancks - Jasek
Palmu - Darcy - Carcone
Arseneau - Woods - Gadjovich

Juolevi - Biega
McEneny - Blujus
Brisebois - Sifers

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Checkers are in a completely different level from the comets tonight. This is a solid, fast, skilled team. Calder cup contender for sure.... Multiple nhl prospects on Charlotte's roster

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
3-1 final score. Comets were never a factor in this game other than a few chances in the 2nd period.

Checkers are stocked deep and should be a calder cup contender.

Comets youngsters continue to struggle.... Looks like most of these players are average to below average in talent.

Playmaking centers whom can control play are a must at this level. Comets lineup tonight had nothing......

1-5 at home.... The struggles continue..

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad