2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
The whole Sam Garner situation is another reason why we should have our farm team in Abbotsford, yeah the travel would be longer but it would prepare the prospects for what they will have to go through in the NHL. Then you wouldn’t have to run into issues with calling players up and sending them down if they have roots in Vancouver. I think veterans like Gagner and others would be much happier to report to the AHL and help the prospects if it was closer to Vancouver
The more I think about the whole debacle, the more I feel disheartened by the Canucks management. Big league contracts get sent to the AHL, it's not like a league-wide precedent you need to send them to other organizations to keep them happy. Jason Garrison comes to mind from a few years back. Gagner wasn't good enough to make the team, but management said 'that's okay, even though you're under contract with the Canucks, we'll send you to the farm team's rival." I don't see how that's an acceptable outcome. It's just ridiculous. Especially considering the weak center depth on the comets and the struggling wingers.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The whole Sam Garner situation is another reason why we should have our farm team in Abbotsford, yeah the travel would be longer but it would prepare the prospects for what they will have to go through in the NHL. Then you wouldn’t have to run into issues with calling players up and sending them down if they have roots in Vancouver. I think veterans like Gagner and others would be much happier to report to the AHL and help the prospects if it was closer to Vancouver

LMAO. Yes, they should spend probably several million dollars to move the farm team across the continent, lose the actually competent part of the Comets' management group, expose the prospects to much, much heavier travel, including likely loss of practice, prep, and injury rehab time, take them away from one of the best atmospheres in the AHL, and expose them to the 24/7 media and fan scrutiny that you're always claiming is ruining the Canucks' young players so that Jim Benning doesn't have to have a tough discussion where he might have to actually act like a manager and risk upsetting the guy who he decided to give a multi-year overpayment in the first place. Are you Michael f***ing Scott or something?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
LMAO. Yes, they should spend probably several million dollars to move the farm team across the continent, lose the actually competent part of the Comets' management group, expose the prospects to much, much heavier travel, including likely loss of practice, prep, and injury rehab time, take them away from one of the best atmospheres in the AHL, and expose them to the 24/7 media and fan scrutiny that you're always claiming is ruining the Canucks' young players so that Jim Benning doesn't have to have a tough discussion where he might have to actually act like a manager and risk upsetting the guy who he decided to give a multi-year overpayment in the first place. Are you Michael ****ing Scott or something?
I agree and I see the parallels so painfully clearly, but you take that back right god damn now. Bless Michael Scott

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The more I think about the whole debacle, the more I feel disheartened by the Canucks management. Big league contracts get sent to the AHL, it's not like a league-wide precedent you need to send them to other organizations to keep them happy. Jason Garrison comes to mind from a few years back. Gagner wasn't good enough to make the team, but management said 'that's okay, even though you're under contract with the Canucks, we'll send you to the farm team's rival." I don't see how that's an acceptable outcome. It's just ridiculous. Especially considering the weak center depth on the comets and the struggling wingers.

It’s interesting that the exact same event makes you feel disheartened by management but makes me feel even better about them. Of course Benning didn’t need to send Gagner down to Toronto. But he did and that will pay dividends in the future when free agents look at Vancouver and wonder how will I be treated? Will Jim Benning try to look out for me and be on my side when things go south? They will have to say yes. It will make a difference when it comes down building a culture where everyone in the organization looks out for each other on and off the ice. That kind of culture needs to start from the top and that’s why Benning did a good thing with Gagner.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
LMAO. Yes, they should spend probably several million dollars to move the farm team across the continent, lose the actually competent part of the Comets' management group, expose the prospects to much, much heavier travel, including likely loss of practice, prep, and injury rehab time, take them away from one of the best atmospheres in the AHL, and expose them to the 24/7 media and fan scrutiny that you're always claiming is ruining the Canucks' young players so that Jim Benning doesn't have to have a tough discussion where he might have to actually act like a manager and risk upsetting the guy who he decided to give a multi-year overpayment in the first place. Are you Michael ****ing Scott or something?

I’m not sure who Michael Scott is but no that’s not my name.

Of course there’s no disputing the facts you have presented but maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to expose the prospects to a taste of the type of adversity that will be commonplace in the big show so they are more ready when they get called up.

Travel might be rough at first but if Seattle, Alberta, California, Arizona, Winnipeg and Vegas all decide to follow suit and get AHL teams in the west it will get a lot better eventually.

No doubt Utica is a first class city to have an AHL franchise in and they have great people there fans and management alike but that being said I think we can find good people here in Vancouver to be a part of our AHL affiliate too.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
It’s interesting that the exact same event makes you feel disheartened by management but makes me feel even better about them. Of course Benning didn’t need to send Gagner down to Toronto. But he did and that will pay dividends in the future when free agents look at Vancouver and wonder how will I be treated? Will Jim Benning try to look out for me and be on my side when things go south? They will have to say yes. It will make a difference when it comes down building a culture where everyone in the organization looks out for each other on and off the ice. That kind of culture needs to start from the top and that’s why Benning did a good thing with Gagner.

I understand where you're coming from with this train of thought. I can understand the perspective. I'm just not that sure it's going to have an impact.

Will Jim Benning try to look out for me and be on my side when things go south?

I ask this from the perspective of our top prospects like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, and Palmu who would benefit from playing alongside Mr. Free Agent Signing Sam Gagner.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

There are merits to having the AHL team close by. Mike Gillis' management group was negotiating a deal with Abbotsford. They clearly saw it as a viable and attractive option. Gillis recently hinted that having a team in BC is even more attractive now with all those teams in California.

Like I said before, Utica deserves to have an AHL team. But that doesn't mean they have to be the Canucks' affiliate. I think it's only a matter of time that the Canucks move their farm team. These things happen.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
There are merits to having the AHL team close by. Mike Gillis' management group was negotiating a deal with Abbotsford. They clearly saw it as a viable and attractive option. Gillis recently hinted that having a team in BC is even more attractive now with all those teams in California.

Like I said before, Utica deserves to have an AHL team. But that doesn't mean they have to be the Canucks' affiliate. I think it's only a matter of time that the Canucks move their farm team. These things happen.

It will happen, the question is will they wait for Seattle and go north west?? Or are they going to go to California next season.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

LOL When do the ridiculous excuses stop?

If there is a single player that thinks Vancouver is the best destination because they think they're borderline AHL material, do we really want to sign them?

Yes, send us your old, tired and weak-willed players because we can overpay them on long-term contracts and let them playout their twilight years in any destination of their choice.

Our team will overfloweth with 4th line glory and our cup runneth over with bountiful mentorship. Dividends!

Are we trying to build a hockey team or a country club for the semi-retired? Seriously...WTF?

There is no cheat code to acquire RFA as there is no re-tool to win the SC. The high-end RFA wants to play closer to family or you pay him an arm/leg to play for you, otherwise:

- The GM needs to show them that the team is heading in the right direction and where the season ends, is usually the first indicator.

- The GM needs to be able to speak eloquently and sell his plan to the RFA. 'Uh..we want to be competitive, umm...play hard and fast ...oh, with skill', this is not a plan.

- The RFA needs to be convinced that the GM is capable of making the right moves to achieve his objective through previous transactions. Astute signings and trades.

- The RFA needs to believe and trust in the coach and his style of game and player deployment.

- Has this GM proven that he can provide the depth needed to win the SC? can he provide adequate top line players to ice alongside the coveted RFA? Can he provide a quality D?

- Will the GM and coach provide the culture on the team so that everybody has each other's back? Can the RFA rely on mgt to support players who are willing to stick up for them? Is the RFA's health at risk playing for a team that will let cheap shots slide for the sake of two points at the start of the season?

A RFA will respect a GM and sign with a team if the GM has proven that the team and the team's SC aspirations are the highest priority on his list. Not succumbing to selfish individuals who don't put the team and team mates first. If the goal of the team/GM is to win the SC, the prospects and their development should be more important than Gagner not wanting to deal with stop-over flights to fly home to Vancouver (where his family lives).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
LOL. His family never left Vancouver @Bad Goalie !

This whole farce was about his wife practicing law in Vancouver and Sam wanting to be a direct flight away if you can believe it :DD

That is actually disgusting, and Benning being a pushover even more so for letting it happen and robbing our prospect wingers of a skilled playmaking centre in the AHL.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
46800993_2223053297774039_561860534966681600_n.jpg

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ryan Johnson (speaking on 1040) says that Demko has now had a full practice and that Lind should be ready in about a week. He reports that Lind has been working hard on his explosiveness during his time out (with an injury that allowed him to keep skating).

MMB

Nov 17, 2018
The return of Demko should certainly boost the confidence of the team. Hopefully resulting in a few more wins???

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The return of Demko should certainly boost the confidence of the team. Hopefully resulting in a few more wins???

It will take weeks before Demko gets into mid season form. He has been a slow starter both seasons here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad