Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Previous thread

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-19-utica-comets.2507187/

Team tired in the third but had built enough of cushion to get out with a win.

Good

MacEwen - coming along. Was a real horse in the first couple of periods and worked both ends very well. For a big guy gets around the ice well and usually does the right thing in the play. Getting so he has the puck a lot more and is showing some ability to distribute it. Still needs to work on agility and play better in tight quarters.

Carcone - real nice goal where he exploited Subban's inability to pivot to the outside. Showed nice finish. This player can score highlight type goals. Thought he was good in the general run of the play. Ended up first star.

Charfield - makes mistakes but he is providing a hard hitting, physical presence. Knocked Clark out of the game with a big hit. Competes hard and is improving

Sautner - such a good skater. Looking more and more to get involved in the offense.

Boucher - could see he tired after two games of playing huge minutes. Reminded me of last year when the Canucks brought him up when he was fading after playing so many games in a row. Don't think we got a look at Boucher at his best. Scored a great goal that showed very high end talent. See the replay is already posted. Overall another good effort. Got second star although I would have given it to MacEwen

Archibald - dominates shifts - especially early in the game. Playing real well.

Kulbakov - he had to be excellent in many parts of the game and was. (41 shots on net) Really competes hard and probably deserved a star.

Others

Jasek - so much better. Made mistakes in coverage and couldn't finish off plays in the offensive zone but he was so much more in the play. Skated well and made himself a factor. Very positive step.

Gadjovich - so-so. Decent on the forecheck but first step a problem especially in transition. Has a ways to go to be able to compete fully at this level.

Lind - more involved and you can see he is smart with the puck. Needs to improve shot. Not looking like he is playing in over his head but still figuring it out.

Joulevi - steady. Wouldn't really notice him if you weren't watching for him which is a positive since it showed he was moving the puck faster and staying out of trouble.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No explanation as to how I am a hater eh, EtoR/ MtoB. Maybe you realize that's a label I don't wear. I don't appreciate being falsely accused of it either. Thank you.

@Bad Goalie Thanks for the reports from Utica. Don't be distracted by that crowd.

The poster(s) you were going through the exchange with, don't care about what is true.
They live in the realm of "faith" and "positivity" and "true fans" vs everyone who disagrees with them.

I've tried discussing things with them but when its not about facts or trying to be truthful its futile.

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
@Bad Goalie Thanks for the reports from Utica. Don't be distracted by that crowd.

The poster(s) you were going through the exchange with, don't care about what is true.
They live in the realm of "faith" and "positivity" and "true fans" vs everyone who disagrees with them.

I've tried discussing things with them but when its not about facts or trying to be truthful its futile.
Well..god damn ..we can't all be as miserable and negative as you..thumbs up buddy.

Last edited:

moosesfan

Jun 21, 2015
I don’t read bad Goalie’s posts for a long time!!! When someone uses the word CRAPY to describe a player?? Should I write more!! :(

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is sautner a better player than Gudbranson? Discuss.

At this level it looks like it. I didn't get the opportunity to see his debut in Vancouver last season (my cheat feed was down).

-He doesn't get walked except for the few odd times when a highly skilled player makes a move to beat him. This happens to all defenders at all levels.

-He makes a good first pass not an icing or pump off the glass. He only does that when the Comets are in big trouble and the puck simply has to get out.

-He can skate with the puck when the opportunity presents itself. He doesn't force that issue.

-He skates well. Has good edges and has learned to work in close quarters.

-He is much better i board battles this season meaning it looks like he has added some strength.

-Is much better positionally, particularly away from the puck.

-He plays the body. Doesn't rely on the stick check. Hits hard when the hit is there. He doesn't run around looking for the hit and taking himself out of position as a result.

-He needs to work on his shot. Offensively, this is a hindrance to his ability to score. However, offense is not the #1 concern of a good D-man.

At this point in time he is Utica's best D-man and that includes Olli and the guy you always here from the Vancouver brass "is having a great season down in Utica" Brisebois. If there is a call-up, he should be the man unless Biega is down here in which case he should get the call unless the Canucks want to get a look-see under the gun in which case Ashton would be the man to try first. He has earned it. I fear management in Vancouver will bring up their one of their 2 shining examples of how they are building their future D with 1st or 3rd draft picks Juolevi and Brisebois and skip over the undrafted Sautner.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
At this level it looks like it. I didn't get the opportunity to see his debut in Vancouver last season (my cheat feed was down).

At this point in time he is Utica's best D-man and that includes Olli and the guy you always here from the Vancouver brass "is having a great season down in Utica" Brisebois. If there is a call-up, he should be the man unless Biega is down here in which case he should get the call unless the Canucks want to get a look-see under the gun in which case Ashton would be the man to try first. He has earned it. I fear management in Vancouver will bring up their one of their 2 shining examples of how they are building their future D with 1st or 3rd draft picks Juolevi and Brisebois and skip over the undrafted Sautner.

Sautner was really solid. In his brief stint opened a few eyes to the reality that this kid has a future and it could be one with a lot of NHL in it. Defensive aspects looked pretty refined and was uber aggressive in 1 on 1 battles. Moved the puck along boards and in tight spaces in his zone extremely well and skating is good enough but not a stand out feature....Biggest issue for me was driving forward..Needs to be more assertive and looked a little tentative at the offensive blueline. Overall lots to work with if he can continue to progess.

Not sure why you would make this claim. The Canucks have often taken the player best suited for the role needed from Utica?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Not that this is any kind of surprise, but Boucher is tied for the league lead in scoring with 8 goals and 9 points in 5 games. In terms of just goals, nobody else in the league currently has more than 4.

IGUG41

May 5, 2017
Sautner looks good, but ironically his play improved/es when he plays with Blujus. Not a lot of love regarding Blujus on this board. I'm pro Blujus, followed him thru Cuse, and now with Utica. Just see how they utilized Blujus this weekend, PK (block shots machine) and 2nd unit PP, not everyone predicted that.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sautner was really solid. In his brief stint opened a few eyes to the reality that this kid has a future and it could be one with a lot of NHL in it. Defensive aspects looked pretty refined and was uber aggressive in 1 on 1 battles. Moved the puck along boards and in tight spaces in his zone extremely well and skating is good enough but not a stand out feature....Biggest issue for me was driving forward..Needs to be more assertive and looked a little tentative at the offensive blueline. Overall lots to work with if he can continue to progess.

Not sure why you would make this claim. The Canucks have often taken the player best suited for the role needed from Utica?
As you say,"often". However, not always. Sanguinetti, Fedun, and O'Reilly. None were Vancouver draft picks and even though as you say "the best suited" for the role were not selected. The guys brought up are almost always Vanmcouver draft picks.

No snarkiness or argument intended. Just stating how it's been. Archibald is a crystal clear case. 2016-17 he led the team in scoring and was the last cut in '17-18 and still didn't even get a sniff at a contract so he could get called up until last season when they had little choice and he proved to be quite effective. Cut very late again this season. He is currently the Comets best forward. What are his chances of a call-up at forward.

My bet right now is Dahlen. He may have more innate skills but at this moment he is no where near as effective as Archi and they have been on the same line centered by Gaudette. You see lots of positives from Archi and Gaudette, Dahlen not so much. He gives them the puck back up the ice. They go into the tough areas and do the work and score (2 goals each). He picks up an assist. That's why I say looking at points doen't tell you how a player is actually doing.

Dahlen took a big hit on Saturday and didn't appear to like it one bit. Scratched yesterday. Hurt? A message? Just routine rotation of players we have seen from Cull for what is now his second season?

Gaudette lived up to the billing even though he still has improvements to make. Dahlen is flying under the radar and needs to come out of the clouds and get into the dogfights. It's a physical league (as is the NHL) and to be successful you can't run around avoiding it. Juolevi and Lind were both targets for Cracknell yesterday. Both had their heads down. Olli saw it coming a split second early and got knocked down, but missed the full brunt of what was coming. Lind got flattened. Just a couple examples of what it's like and hopefully they are learning. They can use their skills but it won't come without learning to react faster, make quick thoughts, make your moves faster, give up the puck to get it back, and maneuver in close quarters and come out standing. Individualism only goes so far at this level and it's no different up there. Too many guys/some actual goons looking to show the new talents where they are and what they are up against.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sautner looks good, but ironically his play improved/es when he plays with Blujus. Not a lot of love regarding Blujus on this board. I'm pro Blujus, followed him thru Cuse, and now with Utica. Just see how they utilized Blujus this weekend, PK (block shots machine) and 2nd unit PP, not everyone predicted that.

Perhaps you missed the entire last season? Blujus and Sautner were the Comets top D-pair inspite of the fact there were two much more experienced players there in Wiercioch and Holm, a newcomer, but SHL vet. Ashton and Dylan faced the top lines and were the first PK unit. Coach Cull is in a predicament in which Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner, and McEneny are going to be playing as they are Vancouver people. Blujus, Graham, and Sifers are not. He has tried to get all 3 ice time, Graham 3GP, Sifers 3GP, and Blujus 2GP andDylan has been the best D-man of the 3 in my opinion. When the dust settled I would have expected Dylan to be #6 with Graham and Sifers as backups.

However, Alex Biega has cleared waivers and is coming back to Utica. It suck for the Bulldog, but Benning is set on his not very good corps of D-men after Edler and Tanev. Thus, Biega will slate right into the lineup and I look for Blujus to go back into the reserve column. He will now be #7. Any call-ups or injuries and and I would return him to #6.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes Comets fans, the Bulldog cleared waivers and according to TSN transactions he is sent to Utica. I see him immediately paired up with Juolevi as the Comets top 2. Sautner, McEneny, Briesbois, and Chattfield will be the other 4 of the top 6. Personally, I think I would pair him with Sautner. I'm not Cull.

Incidentally, I think this sucks for Alex, but at least he still collects his Vancouver salary of $825 K. If he never foes back he collects the same numbers next season as well. That money goes a lot farther in small US city Utica than it does with the comparative exorbitant cost of living in Vancouver.

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Yes Comets fans, the Bulldog cleared waivers and according to TSN transactions he is sent to Utica. I see him immediately paired up with Juolevi as the Comets top 2. Sautner, McEneny, Briesbois, and Chattfield will be the other 4 of the top 6. Personally, I think I would pair him with Sautner. I'm not Cull.

Incidentally, I think this sucks for Alex, but at least he still collects his Vancouver salary of $825 K. If he never foes back he collects the same numbers next season as well. That money goes a lot farther in small US city Utica than it does with the comparative exorbitant cost of living in Vancouver.

He'll be back once our inevitable injuries hit on the blueline.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Just wanted to say thank you to all the amazing Utica posters in this thread. Always look forward to reading your reports from the farm.

I liked Sautner better than Pouliot and MDZ in camp and preseason. He's solid defensively, good skater, and makes good outlet passes. Also, as Bad Goalie noted, he finishes his checks and does it hard when it's there. Kind of player I'd like to see on the Canucks back end.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He'll be back once our inevitable injuries hit on the blueline.

I think that should be the immediate move.

However, "Brisebois had a very good season in Utica and is playing very well again." (a paraphrased running appraisal from Benning and Johnson). It wouldn't shock me if they try to see how another young guy can do.

Wouldn't be a shock if Sautner got the call after his positive debut last year either. He deserves it more than Brisebois as his play has been much better than that of Breezy all along. He has probably been the best Comets pure defender since the middle of last season and still is at the moment.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The way that Subban got turnstiled they could use him.

He will be with his 4th franchise next season if not earlier. Keefe is not going to keep playing a guy that defensively inept. They had signed Kyle Cumiskey before this game on a free agent contract. counting the 14-15 season until the present he has only played 80 hockey games, 80! He didn't even play hockey last season at all!!!!
That shows how desperate they must be to find a way to stop their bleeding of goals. Subbie had better find a horseshoe or he's on another bus to who knows where. Maybe the Orlando Solar Bears. He can't live on his brother's reps much longer.

Look for upper management to make some moves, particularly in Europe to get some more players into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad