2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Can't comment on the accuracy of this link, but short strokes is they found a 30%+ increase in duration of average games missed if the person flew within 4-6 hours of suffering a concussion.

IMPACT OF AIR FLIGHT ON GAMES MISSED POST CONCUSSION IN NHL PLAYERS

"Those players that flew after suffering an mTBI (mild traumatic brain injury) missed 32.9% more games..."

nice find, that seems both significant and also significantly at odds with what i have been told more recently than that about team flights. not sure if the data is from an era when the cabin pressure and oxygen adjustments i mentioned were not being made, but i am pretty sure the o2 enrichment thing has been going on on private team flights for a long time because it impacts overall athlete recovery.

anyway, thank you for posting that.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can't comment on the accuracy of this link, but short strokes is they found a 30%+ increase in duration of average games missed if the person flew within 4-6 hours of suffering a concussion.

IMPACT OF AIR FLIGHT ON GAMES MISSED POST CONCUSSION IN NHL PLAYERS

"Those players that flew after suffering an mTBI (mild traumatic brain injury) missed 32.9% more games..."

This would also imply that they had Demko fly within hours of his concussion. I don't know if we have enough info about that at this stage to say if that's the case or not.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
And people wonder why the only ones left here are "UticaHockey", "go comets", and myself. It is impossible to have an actual discussion with people who are determined to defend every move made by this organization and they will construct straw men, employ "alternate facts", and flat out make up **** designed to frustrate and cause folks to just disengage. The last one was the straw to break my back. You can't be concussed by a puck that hits the mask because they are simply made too good today. I guess all the current keepers to have suffered such a malady are making it up.

Good bye. Fair well. Adios. Hasta la vista. Ciao. This discussion is beyond my willingness to engage. I have "suffered fools" long enough. (This saying aimed at no one ought to stimulate some more derogatory remarks.)

I hope you are only talking about this subject of concussions alone...not about the comets in general. I welcome yours and the ones you mentioned. 'Welcome' is probably not the correct term, the ONLY reason I look in this thread is for Comet fan's posts and a few others.

Most of us deal with these Canuck fans regularly, you guys should just put them on your ignore list. No point in engaging with them as others will handle their childish comments themselves.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I hope you are only talking about this subject of concussions alone...not about the comets in general. I welcome yours and the ones you mentioned. 'Welcome' is probably not the correct term, the ONLY reason I look in this thread is for Comet fan's posts and a few others.

Most of us deal with these Canuck fans regularly, you guys should just put them on your ignore list. No point in engaging with them as others will handle their childish comments themselves.
Just put every single poster you disagree with on your ignore lost. Makes debating hockey so much more fun.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Just put every single poster you disagree with on your ignore lost. Makes debating hockey so much more fun.

There's debating about different points of view, which could be enlightening.

There's also ignorance and stupidity that falls well short of worthy debate, not so much fun.

The fact that you can't see the difference only shows you may fall into the latter category.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
There's debating about different points of view, which could be enlightening.

There's also ignorance and stupidity that falls well short of worthy debate, not so much fun.

The fact that you can't see the difference only shows you may fall into the latter category.
What exactly have you taken issue with today? Use your words, be specific

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think the NHL would be screwed if someone decided to look at the brains of goalies for signs of concussion diseases relative to the rest of the players. I have no idea how many pucks the average goalie stops in practice but I think if Marty Brodeur made almost 30,000 saves in his career then it seems reasonable to assume for every 1 puck shot at him in an NHL game situation he had 100 pucks shot at him in practice. That's 3 million pucks. That's a lot of freakin pucks man. Probably a lot of them going dangerously fast. There must be a way to protect goalies better than the helmets they currently have which are not going to prevent concussions. Maybe they should put a magnet in the puck and make the goalie masks out of an opposite magnet so when the puck comes it doesn't actually make contact. I could actually see it becoming a skill that goalies try to play the puck with their heads like in soccer. Anyways, Bad goalie is definitely correct about this but if his overall impression is that this board is too focused on defending the Canucks organization at all costs then I'm at a loss for words.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

It's not just today, it's a constant.

Why don't you review the posts on concussions here today, yesterday and before that, you should figure it out yourself. If the obvious evades you than I can't help.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The more I think about it, the more I think the NHL would be screwed if someone decided to look at the brains of goalies for signs of concussion diseases relative to the rest of the players. I have no idea how many pucks the average goalie stops in practice but I think if Marty Brodeur made almost 30,000 saves in his career then it seems reasonable to assume for every 1 puck shot at him in an NHL game situation he had 100 pucks shot at him in practice. That's 3 million pucks. That's a lot of freakin pucks man. Probably a lot of them going dangerously fast. There must be a way to protect goalies better than the helmets they currently have which are not going to prevent concussions. Maybe they should put a magnet in the puck and make the goalie masks out of an opposite magnet so when the puck comes it doesn't actually make contact. I could actually see it becoming a skill that goalies try to play the puck with their heads like in soccer. Anyways, Bad goalie is definitely correct about this but if his overall impression is that this board is too focused on defending the Canucks organization at all costs then I'm at a loss for words.

Then there's Hasek who practiced stopping pucks with his head.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

As I said, it's a constant on these forums and that's why I feel for BG.

Too often, people put up the most ridiculous arguments or comparisons to try and justify their point. It is tiresome arguing against those who continue to ignore logic to refute the obvious. As an example, one poster tried to argue that Pete should play as soon as possible because he and others suffered concussions before. If he was able to do it, why can't Pete? Completely refusing to accept the variance in occupational hazards.

Shucks, I can't do this justice with my own words. I'll just copy/paste his post and it should be clearer how ridiculous his post was...

'Lol I didn’t say I want him rushed back. But there is a process and this concussion is being way blown out of proportion. If the docs say he is good and EP feels normal then play the kid. I’m sure 90% of the people on these boards have had concussions and resumed normal activity after a few weeks. No symptoms? Play. It’s that simple'

DonnyNucker
'Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII' pg. 38

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
I think people need to remember that all ages can sign up for this website, no matter their reading comprehension or ability to speak the English language.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
As I said, it's a constant on these forums and that's why I feel for BG.

Too often, people put up the most ridiculous arguments or comparisons to try and justify their point. It is tiresome arguing against those who continue to ignore logic to refute the obvious. As an example, one poster tried to argue that Pete should play as soon as possible because he and others suffered concussions before. If he was able to do it, why can't Pete? Completely refusing to accept the variance in occupational hazards.

Shucks, I can't do this justice with my own words. I'll just copy/paste his post and it should be clearer how ridiculous his post was...

'Lol I didn’t say I want him rushed back. But there is a process and this concussion is being way blown out of proportion. If the docs say he is good and EP feels normal then play the kid. I’m sure 90% of the people on these boards have had concussions and resumed normal activity after a few weeks. No symptoms? Play. It’s that simple'

DonnyNucker
'Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII' pg. 38
Fascinating. If the kid has no symptoms, has cleared concussion protocol and is cleared by doctors, let him play. My words are so offensive. I apologize for the controversial nature of my post.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I hope you stick around @Bad Goalie... like others here have said, without your insights (and Utica Hockey’s and go comets’... and orca town’s game summaries) I wouldn’t bother ever reading this thread.

I’m a Canucks fan first and foremost, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have Utica’s best interests in mind... unless they conflict with the Canucks’, of course.;)

And from one bad goalie to another, anyone who says modern goalies can’t get concussed from a shot to the mask should feel free to test that notion on themselves.

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You can't prove a negative. That's not how logic works.

Wrong.

A common saying in pseudologic is "You can't prove a negative." This is, as the hatnote up top says, simply not true. This is clearly not true because any statement can be rewritten into the negation of its negation. Any provable statement can be written as a negative. For example, "X is true" can be rewritten as "X is not false", a negative statement! If "X is true" can be proven true, then you have also proven a negative statement "X is not false"

Argument from ignorance - RationalWiki

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
well according to Trent Cull, Archie has been called up.
Boucher will be out a few weeks.
Gaunce and Hamilton are still day to day
Sautner, Chatfield and Lind will all miss Wednesday's game.

that is going to make for a pretty interesting lineup tomorrow night....

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
No Gaunce, Boucher, Archibald or Gaudette. No other player has any sort of polished offensive acumen or ability. Didn't take long for the injury bug to bite this year.

This has been an ongoing concern for years.. at a certain point questions must be asked of their training regimen and the work put into recovery.

The consistency with which players in this organization miss time begs to be looked at with a microscope. Its not just the travel time. Something stinks.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
well according to Trent Cull, Archie has been called up.
Boucher will be out a few weeks.
Gaunce and Hamilton are still day to day
Sautner, Chatfield and Lind will all miss Wednesday's game.

that is going to make for a pretty interesting lineup tomorrow night....

7D and 12 total forwards. I scratched D-man and everyone else plays!

It's 2017-18 all over again and it's game #9.

MacEwen leads the remnants with 3G/8GP.
Jasek has 2G/4GP
8 have scored 1G
9 have yet to score

You can see from this who butters the Comets bread. Even though it's only 4G, Archibald and Boucher have combined for 13 of the Comets 29 Goals. Add in the 3 who won't contribute any soon from Gaudette and Gaunce you get 16. The only guys that will play with more than one goal are MacEwen and Jasek. Add in their 5 and you get 21 of the Comets 29 total goals.

So in 8 GP the rest of this team has accounted for 8 goals or 1/game.

To say the team Cull puts out on the ice tomorrow against the Charlotte Checkers, the Atlantic Division's co-leader and one of the league's top teams, currently tied for second overall with 4 other teams, will be up against it offensively is not just paranoia. It's factual. They face their #1 challenge of the new season 9 games in without their #1 scorer Boucher), their #1 leader by example and on ice guardian (Archi), a top D-man in Sautner and a few others unable to play by what must be injuries.

Gaudette's call-up was already a huge loss in the middle and the 3 of the 4 remaining there are huge steps below him.

Cull knows this. He is a career hockey man. He has to know this team will be hurt immensely having to play Woods and Darcy every night and that doesn't even consider offensive black hole Hamilton who is still recovering from preseason injury in Vancouver. He's still not actually on the roster yet. He can also see that Kero is no Chaput.

He has already begun auditioning Jasek in the middle the last 2 games. I can't find evidence that he has been a center on any upper level team. He comes listed by "elite prospects" as a RW. MacMaster, LW, may soon be next. He played there in the 2 preseason games and didn't look out of place.
However, both may find their size to be a factor with the physicality of the AHL. Both come in at 6' and 6'1 and 185 LBs. The other issue is learning the defensive responsibilities of playing center at this level of the pro game by being thrown into the hot oil isn't the best way to go about it. I think Darcy and Woods would be less harmful on the wing and I'd give these 2 kids a shot at creating some offense in the middle. It's not like any of the centers have been dynamite defenders anyways. The Comet are #29 in the AHL in Goals Against, 32. That means only 3 teams have given up more goals.

The only thing that has kept them in the mix is the league's #3PP, 31.%, .2 below Bakersfield's 31.6% and Boucher, the AHL's top goal scorer with 9 goals and #2 in Points with 12. Those 2 factors have led the Comets to the #3 position in goals scored, 29. Boucher is out for several weeks. He is in a walking boot so we will say he has a lower body injury.

MacMaster has been a center for a good deal of his playing history, but was immediately put on the LW when he arrived on an ATO at the end of last season and actually sparkled there with Jasek at RW havin signed a PTO. They became an immediate dangerous duo. I can't for the life of me figure out why Cull hasn't thought to reunite them this season. That would have been my first move with all of the kids. "I know these 2 have a chemistry. Let's exploit that asset."

The gauntlet has been tossed down. Let's see if these kids can pick it up. No one person better to help them crank up the proper attitude in this situation than Biega.

This would be my lineup and they are in order of lines and D-pairings:

1 - Dahlen/Darcy/MacEwen
2 - MacMaster/Kero/Jasek
3 - Carcone/Bancks/Palmu
4 - Gadjovich/Woods/Arseneau

1 - Juolevi/Biega
2- Brisebois/Sifers
3- McEneny/Blujus

Kulbakov

PP1
MacEwen
Dahlen/Kero'Carcone
Juolevi

PP2
Gadjovich
MacMaster/Bancks/Jasek
Biega

I get a funny feeling that Cull won't agree with me. LOL

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No Gaunce, Boucher, Archibald or Gaudette. No other player has any sort of polished offensive acument or ability. Didn't take long for the injury bug to bite this year.

This has been an ongoing concern for years.. at a certain point questions must be asked of their training regimen and the work put into recovery.

The consistency with which players in this organization miss time begs to be looked at with a microscope. Its not just the travel time. Something stinks.

Comets have no problem with travel time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
7D and 12 total forwards. I scratched D-man and everyone else plays!

It's 2017-18 all over again and it's game #9.

MacEwen leads the remnants with 3G/8GP.
Jasek has 2G/4GP
8 have scored 1G
9 have yet to score

You can see from this who butters the Comets bread. Even though it's only 4G, Archibald and Boucher have combined for 13 of the Comets 29 Goals. Add in the 3 who won't contribute any soon from Gaudette and Gaunce you get 16. The only guys that will play with more than one goal are MacEwen and Jasek. Add in their 5 and you get 21 of the Comets 29 total goals.

So in 8 GP the rest of this team has accounted for 8 goals or 1/game.

To say the team Cull puts out on the ice tomorrow against the Charlotte Checkers, the Atlantic Division's co-leader and one of the league's top teams, currently tied for second overall with 4 other teams, will be up against it offensively is not just paranoia. It's factual. They face their #1 challenge of the new season 9 games in without their #1 scorer Boucher), their #1 leader by example and on ice guardian (Archi), a top D-man in Sautner and a few others unable to play by what must be injuries.

Gaudette's call-up was already a huge loss in the middle and the 3 of the 4 remaining there are huge steps below him.

Cull knows this. He is a career hockey man. He has to know this team will be hurt immensely having to play Woods and Darcy every night and that doesn't even consider offensive black hole Hamilton who is still recovering from preseason injury in Vancouver. He's still not actually on the roster yet. He can also see that Kero is no Chaput.

He has already begun auditioning Jasek in the middle the last 2 games. I can't find evidence that he has been a center on any upper level team. He comes listed by "elite prospects" as a RW. MacMaster, LW, may soon be next. He played there in the 2 preseason games and didn't look out of place.
However, both may find their size to be a factor with the physicality of the AHL. Both come in at 6' and 6'1 and 185 LBs. The other issue is learning the defensive responsibilities of playing center at this level of the pro game by being thrown into the hot oil isn't the best way to go about it. I think Darcy and Woods would be less harmful on the wing and I'd give these 2 kids a shot at creating some offense in the middle. It's not like any of the centers have been dynamite defenders anyways. The Comet are #29 in the AHL in Goals Against, 32. That means only 3 teams have given up more goals.

The only thing that has kept them in the mix is the league's #3PP, 31.%, .2 below Bakersfield's 31.6% and Boucher, the AHL's top goal scorer with 9 goals and #2 in Points with 12. Those 2 factors have led the Comets to the #3 position in goals scored, 29. Boucher is out for several weeks. He is in a walking boot so we will say he has a lower body injury.

MacMaster has been a center for a good deal of his playing history, but was immediately put on the LW when he arrived on an ATO at the end of last season and actually sparkled there with Jasek at RW havin signed a PTO. They became an immediate dangerous duo. I can't for the life of me figure out why Cull hasn't thought to reunite them this season. That would have been my first move with all of the kids. "I know these 2 have a chemistry. Let's exploit that asset."

The gauntlet has been tossed down. Let's see if these kids can pick it up. No one person better to help them crank up the proper attitude in this situation than Biega.

This would be my lineup and they are in order of lines and D-pairings:

1 - Dahlen/Darcy/MacEwen
2 - MacMaster/Kero/Jasek
3 - Carcone/Bancks/Palmu
4 - Gadjovich/Woods/Arseneau

1 - Juolevi/Biega
2- Brisebois/Sifers
3- McEneny/Blujus

Kulbakov

PP1
MacEwen
Dahlen/Kero'Carcone
Juolevi

PP2
Gadjovich
MacMaster/Bancks/Jasek
Biega

I get a funny feeling that Cull won't agree with me. LOL
So you wouldnt put Lindy boy in the lineup Good Goalie?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Comets are scoring at an impressive 3.625 goals per game but giving up an alarming 4.0 goals per game. With Boucher injured plus Archie and Gaudette up in Vancouver it's imperative that Cull gets this group to tighten up defensively. The run and gun style with all the defensive breakdowns has to end. They won't be winning too many games moving forward while surrendering 3 or 4 goals. They need to return to the 2 - 1 and 3 - 2 low event hockey games.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets are scoring at an impressive 3.625 goals per game but giving up an alarming 4.0 goals per game. With Boucher injured plus Archie and Gaudette up in Vancouver it's imperative that Cull gets this group to tighten up defensively. The run and gun style with all the defensive breakdowns has to end. They won't be winning too many games moving forward while surrendering 3 or 4 goals. They need to return to the 2 - 1 and 3 - 2 low event hockey games.

O-o-o-o-o, that sounds like blasphemy. A lot of folks won't like it if the Comets start to play good defensively and only score 2-3 goals. The prospects can't develop in defensive team scheme. They have to be able to hone their goal scoring talents even if not a one of them has actually shown any signs of doing such.

Honestly, it is early in the season and they just might figure things out, but I look for a lot leas lamp lighting than we and everyone else expected due to the fact that the kids, who are all wings, have zero play makers in the middle. They can't score without 4 centers that can dish the puck. Benning claimed that was the reason that Jake couldn't score down here and he was one guy that needed one play maker. Now their are a plethora of young wings. There are 8 Vancouver prospects on the wing. 6 are rookies, 1 is 2nd yr player and one is in his 3rd year. That doesn't count Archi and Boucher are also wings or Gaunce who was used on the wing before he got hurt. That would require 4 play makers to make things work out. The Comets are missing 3 and 1/2.

The Canucks are already starting to drop like flies and hope of Gaudette returning fades faster every day. I think I said that to deaf ears all summer when I was saying the quality AHL centers were being scarfed up one by one. We have seen this show year after year. We can't be the only ones who know how it actually plays out. It will eventually, maybe by Christmas, become blatantly obvious that the same mistake was made again for the 4th year running.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." They are trying it for the 4th time in 4 years. My mamma didn't raise no fool. They didn't fool me even once. My posting history will back that up many times over much to the annoyance, irritation, and aggravation it has been causing some people that whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad