Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Petan probably wouldn't even get past Arizona if he was put on waivers. He's the type of reclamation project teams would jump on in a heartbeat if he's available for literally nothing.

Worst case scenario for any team that would claim him is they just put him back on waivers. There is quite literally no risk.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Petan probably wouldn't even get past Arizona if he was put on waivers. He's the type of reclamation project teams would jump on in a heartbeat if he's available for literally nothing.

Worst case scenario for any team that would claim him is they just put him back on waivers. There is quite literally no risk.

Antti Miettinen, James Wright and Anthony Peluso are three examples of why there is some risk to claiming a player off waivers. The risk that they will be kept on the starting roster, no matter how bad they are. ;)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Antti Miettinen, James Wright and Anthony Peluso are three examples of why there is some risk to claiming a player off waivers. The risk that they will be kept on the starting roster, no matter how bad they are. ;)

I mean if James Wright can be claimed, then dreams really do come true. :laugh:

Reactions: sipowicz

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
A platoon for that winger spot might also be a good idea with both lemieux and Vesalainen if the feel they are both ready to play in nhl for this year only. Which means 1 of them and Dano will be in pb.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm a bit torn. The lines look great, but Ehlers can't play 4th line minutes.

I'm guessing vesalainen doesn't last 9 games, but perhaps he agrees to play for the moose and joins the club later.

I thought Dano earned a spot, maybe Jets should trade him so he can play somewhere. He will never be needed when we have lemiuex, Petan, Ves, etc.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm a bit torn. The lines look great, but Ehlers can't play 4th line minutes.

I'm guessing vesalainen doesn't last 9 games, but perhaps he agrees to play for the moose and joins the club later.

I thought Dano earned a spot, maybe Jets should trade him so he can play somewhere. He will never be needed when we have lemiuex, Petan, Ves, etc.
And Perrault can? It's good to separate Ehlers and Laine. If Laine can move into Connor's spot so it's Roslo Connor and Ehlers second line. Perrault little Dano 3rd line.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
And Perrault can? It's good to separate Ehlers and Laine. If Laine can move into Connor's spot so it's Roslo Connor and Ehlers second line. Perrault little Dano 3rd line.
Perrault can. He's cheaper, scores less, won't be here as long as Ehlers, and gets injured when he plays too much.

But I agree with your point about separating 27 and 29. And I think Ehlers will help Roslovic nab the 2C spot and we see that 3rd line you mentioned.

Not enough minutes for all our skill, what a problem haha

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I like it too, but just can't seem to figure out what Dano has to do to get out of Maurice's doghouse? I'm not particularly a Dano fan, but he's definitely out-performed Vesalainen.
The difference is ceiling. Vesalainen's is much higher than Dano's. Dano may be slightly more valuable overall now, because of experience, but if Vesalainen is given a chance to play regularly, good chance he is much improved late this season, and ahead of where Dano could ever be.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What do you mean exactly by a specific situation? His disruptive speed and forechecking prowess aren't reliant on who he plays with. His hockey IQ might not be much better than your average checking line player, but his speed and his ability to hang onto to the puck for ages in the offensive zone make him quite a valuable asset to have in our bottom six.

Also, his four goals in the playoffs were more than every forward not named Scheifele, Stastny or Laine, and dating back to the regular season he's scored 8 goals in his last 22 games (~30 goal pace which is obviously unsustainable, but it does quantify the progress that I personally see in his game).

Maurice ultimately decided to scratch Copp over Tanev when our season was on the line in Game 5, and while some obviously might not have agreed with that decision, I think it says speaks volumes about how effective Tanev was at times last season.

I think he’s a limited player in that he wouldn’t find success in most teams bottom 6s.

Maurice makes his decisions, but not always what would be my decision.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It is possible they would be better with another player - but, I think ideally that player would be a better Tanev. His high speed, high energy style contributes a lot to their effectiveness, IMO.

Conversely, I doubt he would be as effective if his linemates were less skilled in their roles. He probably wouldn't be a good fit on a 3rd scoring line.

Edit: I think he is overpaid by a couple of 00k. Money that could have been added to whatever offer Morrissey wasn't satisfied with.

Ironically a Jets’ scout called a certain prospect who did well in the preseason a better Tanev

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Roslovic isn't ahead of Little yet. He still has to play some games, and learn the trade.

I don't mind those lines though. I think Lowry between Little and Perreault would be better than Dano, puts a RH shot at RW. Lemieux-Copp-Tanev/Dano as the 4th line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
LD is obviously the Jets' weakest position, which is why Maurice tried Myers there. It seems that Maurice wants to play Chiarot with Buff and Morrow with Myers on the road. My guess is that is meant to keep away from a Chiarot-Myers pair on the road, that could be chewed up by fast top lines. At home I would expect Morrow-Buff and Chiarot-Myers, when the Jets can shelter the 3rd pairing more.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Only worry is left D. Hopefully Kulikov returns to form.
I still have confidence that Kuli will shake off the considerable rust he has accumulated and, if he stays healthy, could effectively play a second or third pairing role, along with PK.

Interestingly, depending on how things play out, a year from now, our LD depth could consist of: Morrissey, Kulikov, Niku, Morrow, Chiarot, with Samberg in the wings, while our RD depth could be down to:
Buff..................Poolman.....................?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No Tanev hate. But he is overpaid.

He is not competing for the same spot as Dano or Petan. He already beat them out for the position he has. I prefer him to them on the shut down line. I prefer either of them to him on the 3rd scoring line.
I don't see Tanev as being over paid. He took a 1 year deal which helps with the Jets future roster flexibility. If the Jets wanted wanted a lower AAV they would needed to have offered him more security than a 1 year deal. Tanev was arbitration eligible and with the season and playoffs he had an arbitration award would have been in that ball park.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I really wonder if the Jets could put together a scoring line with Lowry. Lowry cant score for shit, but he really knows how keep the puck deep. Perreault-Lowry-Laine, maybe even try Copp-Lowry-Laine. Laine needs some diggers with a bit of hockey sense. Copp is ok passing down low. Stream of consciousness on this.

Maybe Laine-Lowry-Little. The longer the puck is in the zone the greater the chance Laine gets a good shot off.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad