Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I could almost agree with that. But there is two things why I cannot:

1. Maurice is forcing Little and Laine together, while...
2. ...they have really poor history together, apart from some occasional great games here and there.

Coach with that kind of track record Maurice is having for the Jets on 17-18 and 18-19 is not getting fired anytime soon, so everything does now depend on Chevy finding a decent C, at least Little level and not incompatible with Laine like Little is for sure. Sample sizes are huge already.

I try my best to look surprised when after some lineup change Laine all in the sudden "starts moving his feet" and scoring. It's easy to make it into playoffs without Laine, but no way Jets are winning the Cup without him.
He has started moving his feet with Little too. He has done well in stints with him, without him, and will continue to do both of those things throughout his career. They aren't a good combination - that is well established - but it is still lazy to absolve Laine of criticism.

Laine is the problem. The solution to that problem is not Little, and given the way Laine struggles, I don't think anyone else is either. That is the scary part. Scheifele, Copp, "a Stastny"... how could we expect them to carry a winger with no distinct drive to play hockey half of the time?

God, I wish he works this summer with a trainer who can teach him a bit about professionalism in hockey. IMO - that is the single most glaring issue with Laine. This ain't some hobby. When he has learnt a thing or two about conditioning and work ethic etc., then you could worry about lines and whatnot. But first, the basics need to be addressed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I could almost agree with that. But there is two things why I cannot:

1. Maurice is forcing Little and Laine together, while...
2. ...they have really poor history together, apart from some occasional great games here and there.

Coach with that kind of track record Maurice is having for the Jets on 17-18 and 18-19 is not getting fired anytime soon, so everything does now depend on Chevy finding a decent C, at least Little level and not incompatible with Laine like Little is for sure. Sample sizes are huge already.

I try my best to look surprised when after some lineup change Laine all in the sudden "starts moving his feet" and scoring. It's easy to make it into playoffs without Laine, but no way Jets are winning the Cup without him.
I guess my feeling is that I'd prefer the Jets to try internal solutions before spending a lot on a rental C, with unpredictable results. Laine was on fire in November... lots of that was some shooting luck, but he also looked much more active and effective overall. He's in a funk now, and I expect he'll work his way out of it. I still think that there is an overall issue with his conditioning and he is sagging a bit now. I'm hoping he gets a second wind in the stretch run and shows more energy and quickness.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He has started moving his feet with Little too. He has done well in stints with him, without him, and will continue to do both of those things throughout his career. They aren't a good combination - that is well established - but it is still lazy to absolve Laine of criticism.

Laine is the problem. The solution to that problem is not Little, and given the way Laine struggles, I don't think anyone else is either. That is the scary part. Scheifele, Copp, "a Stastny"... how could we expect them to carry a winger with no distinct drive to play hockey half of the time?

God, I wish he works this summer with a trainer who can teach him a bit about professionalism in hockey. IMO - that is the single most glaring issue with Laine. This ain't some hobby. When he has learnt a thing or two about conditioning and work ethic etc., then you could worry about lines and whatnot. But first, the basics need to be addressed.
I've hesitated to get back into the off-season training issue, but I think this season and last has illustrated that something is not working. He hasn't shown much improvement in his skating quickness, power or stamina, and also hasn't really developed puck protection skills that he should be able to deploy with his size and hands. I'm not sure if it is the content of his training or his work ethic (Rantanen has done very well with the same trainer), but at the very least I think he needs to work specifically on his skating and puck protection in the off-season. I also think that his stamina is not where it needs to be for a top-end forward in the NHL.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I guess my feeling is that I'd prefer the Jets to try internal solutions before spending a lot on a rental C, with unpredictable results. Laine was on fire in November... lots of that was some shooting luck, but he also looked much more active and effective overall. He's in a funk now, and I expect he'll work his way out of it. I still think that there is an overall issue with his conditioning and he is sagging a bit now. I'm hoping he gets a second wind in the stretch run and shows more energy and quickness.
Sometimes it feels like Laine reacts to line changes by being more active for a while. (First 10 games with Stastny, CLL this year, the Copp experiment, seemingly the first moments of LLR) Then again, there have been exceptions to that rule (TLL, CWL come to mind).

A change would work wonders in the short-term, but if these issues persist for longer, something drastic needs to happen.

I'm almost for PBing Laine for a game or two and then giving him a couple ~20-minute nights to see if he responds with any fire at all.

And, to keep the convo within the topic of the thread, force Perreault to play and live with him 24/7 until the work ethic and drive have transferred from Matty to Patty.

Reactions: Jack722 and DRW204

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've hesitated to get back into the off-season training issue, but I think this season and last has illustrated that something is not working. He hasn't shown much improvement in his skating quickness, power or stamina, and also hasn't really developed puck protection skills that he should be able to deploy with his size and hands. I'm not sure if it is the content of his training or his work ethic (Rantanen has done very well with the same trainer), but at the very least I think he needs to work specifically on his skating and puck protection in the off-season. I also think that his stamina is not where it needs to be for a top-end forward in the NHL.
I'd agree with this. Maybe spend the summer with Scheifele. Gary Roberts for skating, conditioning an nutrition. Adam Oats for puck skills.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
With Stone and Ehlers in the line up for the playoffs.

Laine Scheif Stone
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslo Ehlers
Copper Lowry Tanev

JMo Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Laine Scheif Stone
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslo Ehlers
Copper Lowry Tanev

JMo Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit
Makes you wonder if Maurice would just put Stone with Scheifele and Wheeler and try to dominate with that first line and a few other good lines. Fact is that Scheifele and Wheeler have struggled defensively with Connor, and Stone is elite defensively.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Makes you wonder if Maurice would just put Stone with Scheifele and Wheeler and try to dominate with that first line and a few other good lines. Fact is that Scheifele and Wheeler have struggled defensively with Connor, and Stone is elite defensively.
That's why I thought Laine would do well on a line with Stone. Scheif isn't as bad defensively as everyone says he is.
I also think MP Little Wheeler would be a great line...KC Roslo Ehlers would dominate most other 3rd lines and Lowry's line remains our checkers.
I am happy with our D when they are all healthy and the pairings Maurice would probably go with.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
That's why I thought Laine would do well on a line with Stone. Scheif isn't as bad defensively as everyone says he is.
I also think MP Little Wheeler would be a great line...KC Roslo Ehlers would dominate most other 3rd lines and Lowry's line remains our checkers.
I am happy with our D when they are all healthy and the pairings Maurice would probably go with.

Scheifele isn't in position to play good defense... He's an offensive minded center always looking for offense and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: nippanappa

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018

Laine Scheif Stone
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslo Ehlers
Copper Lowry Tanev

JMo Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit

I would make few adjustments for this, otherwise agree:

Laine - Scheifele - Stone

This is the ultimate first line that I would form. If this doesn't get Laine going, I don't know what will. Beastly in the offensive zone, Stone balances defensively. If Laine still holding the two down, move him down.

Ehlers - Little - Wheeler

Wheeler and Little have historically worked together, although for some reason we have no data from past few seasons. I think Ehlers would work fine with the duo, but if not he can be swapped with Connor, Laine or Perreault.

Connor - Copp - Roslovic

First of all, I'd love to see Perreault with Connor and Roslo but I don't see Roslovic as a center just yet. That's why Copp should be here with the guys who rocked together in the AHL a while back, imo Copp is very underrated player.

Perreault - Lowry - Tanev

Checking line. Feel bad for Lemieux and Appleton who have been great recently but with Stone our forward group would be just insane.

Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers
Niku

Would love to see Niku get some playtime but I wouldjt hold my breath. I like Kulikov, he plays really smart and intelligent "basic" hockey. Just what we need from our D.

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lemieux Scheif Laine
MP Roslo Wheeler
KC Little Ehlers
Copper Lowry Tanev

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Without bothering with the Stone hysteria, I think the Jets need to re-organize their line-up.

Here are a few observations:

1) CSW are really struggling to stay above water in actual goal differentials, but also in shot metrics and expected goals. They can be magical in the offensive zone, but they too often get smashed in their own zone, especially against other top competition.

2) Little has done a lot of things well, but he hasn't been able to drag Laine into the offensive zone consistently enough.

3) Perreault hasn't really done much to juice the Lowry line. If anything, he's more of a passenger at this point with Tanev driving the play and generating the offense. Maybe he's in a funk, but it's just not working very well.

4) Copp has been the Jets' 2nd best C this season (feel free to debate). He's outstanding defensively, but has also shown that he can generate offensive zone time and contribute offensively.

Okay, so let's get out the blender:

Perreault-Little-Wheeler (give them some tough assignments, and expect a bit of offense)
Connor-Scheifele-Roslovic (Roslovic gets a chance to show his speed and skill with a dangerous offensive line)
Ehlers-Copp-Laine (Copp stabilizes a line with great offensive talent, but needing some defense and a big, fast body)
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton (Great speed on the wings - Appleton is a very good defensive player)

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Without bothering with the Stone hysteria, I think the Jets need to re-organize their line-up.

1) CSW are really struggling to stay above water in actual goal differentials, but also in shot metrics and expected goals. They can be magical in the offensive zone, but they too often get smashed in their own zone, especially against other top competition.

2) Little has done a lot of things well, but he hasn't been able to drag Laine into the offensive zone consistently enough.

3) Perreault hasn't really done much to juice the Lowry line. If anything, he's more of a passenger at this point with Tanev driving the play and generating the offense. Maybe he's in a funk, but it's just not working very well.

4) Copp has been the Jets' 2nd best C this season (feel free to debate). He's outstanding defensively, but has also shown that he can generate offensive zone time and contribute offensively.

Perreault-Little-Wheeler (give them some tough assignments, and expect a bit of offense)
Connor-Scheifele-Roslovic (Roslovic gets a chance to show his speed and skill with a dangerous offensive line)
Ehlers-Copp-Laine (Copp stabilizes a line with great offensive talent, but needing some defense and a big, fast body)
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton (Great speed on the wings - Appleton is a very good defensive player)

This looks great too, with the option to swap perreault and ehlers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

What do you think the lines should be before Ehlers gets back?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

And with zero - literally, zero - asset cost, the team would likely improve by a metric f***ton. Who needs Stone or Duchene?

Re: your observations. Agree with 1 and 2, but we should never expect that from anyone. 3 is easily fixed, as Perreault just needs someone who can finish the chances he consistently creates. Lowry and Tanev are the worst options you could go with. 4 seems good too, although Copp has been elevated by this ridiculous PDO wave with Lemieux and Appleton. Unsure if that third line would be any good, though. Ehlers' ability to drive offense is well known, but how would he fare as the lone playmaker on the line? I'm not convinced by any line that has Laine on it, which is very unfortunate. That fourth line could be dynamite as a strictly defensive line with very limited OZ starts; Tanev would play to his only strength, and Appleton has been a pleasant surprise in terms of playing a decent two-way game.

Reactions: Jack722

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm open to any line combinations right now, but watching the same lines doing the same poor things night after night is boring a hole in my brain.

The almighty Boston line and Juggernaut Colorado line have both seen blending, if only a game or two.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad