Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Without bothering with the Stone hysteria, I think the Jets need to re-organize their line-up.

Here are a few observations:

1) CSW are really struggling to stay above water in actual goal differentials, but also in shot metrics and expected goals. They can be magical in the offensive zone, but they too often get smashed in their own zone, especially against other top competition.

2) Little has done a lot of things well, but he hasn't been able to drag Laine into the offensive zone consistently enough.

3) Perreault hasn't really done much to juice the Lowry line. If anything, he's more of a passenger at this point with Tanev driving the play and generating the offense. Maybe he's in a funk, but it's just not working very well.

4) Copp has been the Jets' 2nd best C this season (feel free to debate). He's outstanding defensively, but has also shown that he can generate offensive zone time and contribute offensively.

Okay, so let's get out the blender:

Perreault-Little-Wheeler (give them some tough assignments, and expect a bit of offense)
Connor-Scheifele-Roslovic (Roslovic gets a chance to show his speed and skill with a dangerous offensive line)
Ehlers-Copp-Laine (Copp stabilizes a line with great offensive talent, but needing some defense and a big, fast body)
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton (Great speed on the wings - Appleton is a very good defensive player)

I'd go with all of that except I wouldn't split Scheif-Wheeler. Put Perreault on there with them and you have a guy that is hard on the puck.

Connor-Little-Roslovic is a line I have wanted to see all year.

The other two lines are solid. Appleton with Lowry seems like a good fit.

But add Stone to Scheif and Wheels and bump down Perreault in a competing spot with Apples and you have more depth. Maybe add a depth centre. In place of Petan.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
rSyCYzk.jpg

need 27 back

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Do other coaches experiment a lot with their lineup and roster, or do they tend to be more rigid?

We are positioned well in the standings, yet we take no risks at all with experimentation. It seems wasteful somehow and we are inching towards the playoffs now.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do other coaches experiment a lot with their lineup and roster, or do they tend to be more rigid?

We are positioned well in the standings, yet we take no risks at all with experimentation. It seems wasteful somehow and we are inching towards the playoffs now.
it's tough to say but in terms of 5v5 mins the Jets combo of CSW has had the 8th most of any of the "top lines*" across the NHL from what i recall seeing (as of feb 15th according to Corsica)

*top lines defined as the line combo with the most 5v5 mins on each team

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
it's tough to say but in terms of 5v5 mins the Jets combo of CSW has had the 8th most of any of the "top lines*" across the NHL from what i recall seeing (as of feb 15th according to Corsica)

*top lines defined as the line combo with the most 5v5 mins on each team

Ok, so we are in the upper echelon of 'top-heavy usage'.

Seems we are over-reliant on the first line while not trying to correct this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ok, so we are in the upper echelon of 'top-heavy usage'.

Seems we are over-reliant on the first line while not trying to correct this.
definitely, i don't think any one will deny this.... i think it'd behoove Maurice to create some balance. The 2nd line has been getting benched in 3rds and he's been over reliant on 55 and 26 in ALL SITUATIONS. 26 is going to be gassed when the PO's come around

Reactions: thegr8one66

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
definitely, i don't think any one will deny this.... i think it'd behoove Maurice to create some balance. The 2nd line has been getting benched in 3rds and he's been over reliant on 55 and 26 in ALL SITUATIONS. 26 is going to be gassed when the PO's come around

I guess they are aiming for the TDL. I guess I get it, why start creating random chemistry just to mix it up soon with a roster update.

They should have started sooner but I think now it's better to just wait. Although I agree about laying off 55 and 26 minutes-wise. Taking them off the PK is a good suggestion I thought.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I guess they are aiming for the TDL. I guess I get it, why start creating random chemistry just to mix it up soon with a roster update.

They should have started sooner but I think now it's better to just wait.
stupid that they're going to spend premium assets on a player at the TDL when the answer can be formulated in-house

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
stupid that they're going to spend premium assets on a player at the TDL when the answer can be formulated in-house

Things are fuzzy to me too from this vantage point, but I guess there are layers to this we are not thinking about.

I just hope those layers are not some kind of BS but that they are some kind of legitimate and smart layers. Logic over feelings.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Connor - Hayes - Laine
Perreault - Little - Roslovic
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Lindholm - Hendricks - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kulikov - Chiarot
Kiselvich - Myers
Morrow - Poolman
Beaulieu

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Connor - Hayes - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Tanev - Hendricks

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kulikov - Chiarot
Kiselvich - Myers
Morrow - Poolman
Beaulieu

Not a big fan of Myers, but he is light years ahead of Ben Chiarot on the depth chart.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Connor - Hayes - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Tanev - Hendricks

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kulikov - Chiarot
Kiselvich - Myers
Morrow - Poolman
Beaulieu
agree with forwards!!!
Def:
JoMo-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Kiselvich-Myers

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I guess the new lines will be as follows ??

1st - Laine - Scheifele-Wheeler

2nd - Ehlers - Hayes - Connor

3rd- Tanev - Lowry -- Copp

4th- Perrault- Little -- Roslovic ( Appleton)

Not to bad --3 really good scoring lines, and one good defensive line that can also score some points -- I like it. :)

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Totally agree.

I have no problem with this team being a top contender for years and year without going all in each year. I would rather be the Washington capitals that was a competitive team every year that went on to win a cap
Than win a cup now and look like the Carolina hurricanes

This is year shoudlve beena year Chevy sat out unless he was looking to give the jets a boost longer than playoff push

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Totally agree.

I have no problem with this team being a top contender for years and year without going all in each year. I would rather be the Washington capitals that was a competitive team every year that went on to win a cap
Than win a cup now and look like the Carolina hurricanes

This is year shoudlve beena year Chevy sat out unless he was looking to give the jets a boost longer than playoff push
Ummm... Who acquired Shattenkirk at the TDL? Erat for Forsberg? Caps have given up futures for now...

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ummm... Who acquired Shattenkirk at the TDL? Erat for Forsberg? Caps have given up futures for now...

I just meant that I would rather be a team that competes every year and eventually wins a cup than the team that wins a cup right away and is a bottom feeder for the next 10 years

I didnt mean follow how they built.
Washington might've had a cup sooner if they didnt give up futures

Reactions: probablywrongbut

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Hayes-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
TLC

does this work?

Reactions: Guerzy

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
MP Scheif Laine
KC Little Wheeler
Ehlers Hayes Roslo
Copper Lowry Tanev

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t get why people think he’s not been playing well when players are still playing better with him than without him...
That 3rd line is much better with Copp than Perrault. Little and Laine played better this season with Roslovic than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad