Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler

please just once

That just looks fantastic. Would be interesting to see how well the 2nd line does. I think they'd be better than current 2nd line. And 1st line is already in the optimal form, that could once again be the best line in the league.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quiz...

Rank these lines in terms of relative expected goals for percentage (rel xGF%):

A) Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
B) Perreault-Lowry-Tanev
C) Laine-Little-Roslovic
D) Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
E) Connor-Little-Laine

Answer:

B: +11.6
D: +4.65
C: +3.14
A: +2.2
E: -13.5

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Something tells me that Ehlers is not coming back to his top line role. And Roslovic has at least sparked the 2nd line.

My guess is Ehlers is going to end up with Copp, which is going to really spread our attack. Either with Lemieux or Apples. Though I expect us to add another forward at the deadline. If we only have to expend a 2nd to get that player all the better. Maybe we can get that 2nd back from the Oilers for Nic Petan.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Something tells me that Ehlers is not coming back to his top line role. And Roslovic has at least sparked the 2nd line.

My guess is Ehlers is going to end up with Copp, which is going to really spread our attack. Either with Lemieux or Apples. Though I expect us to add another forward at the deadline. If we only have to expend a 2nd to get that player all the better. Maybe we can get that 2nd back from the Oilers for Nic Petan.
Sorry, you’re not getting a second back for Petan st this point. I know Chia is bad but...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lemmy Scheifele Laine
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslovic Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lemmy Scheifele Laine
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslovic Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit
As much as I'd rather shoot down top line Lemieux, I've posted here before that I'd love to see Laine with a net-front guy that can open shooting lanes and catch a few tips or rebounds. I imagined an elite guy, but hey....

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I just think we need to distribute our line drivers better and this lineup isn't doing that the best but better than we are now...it is mainly because I want to see that Roslo line...

edit ... if we have guys like KC and Ehlers on our 3rd? line, they should do well. Little's line can go hand in hand with Lowry's line as the checkers and Scheif and Laine can use Lemmy to their advantage and pile up the points. I'm not saying that they are similar players in any way because I don't think they are but Steve Shutt got a LOT of points playing on a top line with dirty, greasy, in front of the net goals.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lemmy Scheifele Laine
MP Little Wheeler
KC Roslovic Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kuli Myers

Helle Brossoit

If it were

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
(Matchup against top lines. Laine isn't defensively good enough for that role)

Lemieux-Little-Laine

Connor-Roslovic-Perreault

Tanev-Lowry-Copp

You'd have my vote.

And pick up Brassard as a depth centre, with Appleton and Ves as depth wingers.

Reactions: Jack722

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
KC Scheifele Ehlers
Laine Little Wheeler
Perrault Roslovic Lemmy
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Buff
Kuli Myers

Basically I just want to see Scheif and Wheeler separated and I think this would give us two lethal lines. Scheif and Wheeler are mostly great together but definitely not consistently enough to be set in stone. I just think we should explore options with Wheeler and Scheifele separated before the play-offs. Scheif doesn't rely on Wheeler and could definitely form a great fast line with Connor and Ehlers, and Wheeler has worked well with Little and could be a great feeder for Laine.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
If it were

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
(Matchup against top lines. Laine isn't defensively good enough for that role)

Lemieux-Little-Laine

Connor-Roslovic-Perreault

Tanev-Lowry-Copp

You'd have my vote.

And pick up Brassard as a depth centre, with Appleton and Ves as depth wingers.

That top 6 is intriguing. I would prefer the bottom 6 look like this:

81-9-28
13-17-85

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Idk why people think Lemieux could handle top 6 minutes when at times he’s struggled mightily on the 4th line. He is trending upwards and has scored some but he’s on a major hot streak right now that is bound to go the other way at some point.

Reactions: Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Idk why people think Lemieux could handle top 6 minutes when at times he’s struggled mightily on the 4th line. He is trending upwards and has scored some but he’s on a major hot streak right now that is bound to go the other way at some point.
4th liner scores 3 goals in 2 games and the fanbase wants him getting more minutes than core pieces.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not even sure Lemieux has the conditioning / stamina to play top 6 minutes at this point.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's not anything close to being ready for top 6 minutes -
I'd be happy if some would put just away the pitch forks and give him a chance to develop, grow and make a few mistakes along the way.
And that's asking a lot -

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He's not anything close to being ready for top 6 minutes -
I'd be happy if some would put just away the pitch forks and give him a chance to develop, grow and make a few mistakes along the way.
And that's asking a lot -

I’m not seeing many pitchforks so either you’re making a mountain out of a molehill, or i have those on ignore and probably for a good reason. Some are suggesting that he play on the first or second line which was what I was clearly responding to. Or do you have that same fantasy?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I’m not seeing many pitchforks so either you’re making a mountain out of a molehill, or i have those on ignore and probably for a good reason. Some are suggesting that he play on the first or second line which was what I was clearly responding to. Or do you have that same fantasy?

I think you misread or misinterpreted my post -
I was agreeing with your comments.

There were lots of forks out when Lemmy was playing over Petan - if you didn't notice, you do in fact have a lot of fans on ignore. I wasn't suggesting you were one of them.
I tried to be clear in my note when stating Lemmy is not top 6 material at this point (My Quote: He's not anything close to being ready for top 6 minutes).

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

In my opinion it's because he may be an internal solution to an ongoing problem, our 2nd line production. While I agree he is not among our best conditioned players, the 2nd line, like the 4th line gets the most 0-zone starts, while Scheif and Lowry defend the most. The only time the 2nd or 4th lines will start in the defensive zone is if they ice the puck.

It's pretty clear the younger Lemieux has some of his father's genes, and if he can be successful in puck pursuit and retrieval there's a chance that he can impact the production of the 2 key players on that line. Something you'll never know if you never try. It also seems like a way down the road of uniting Connor and Roslovic, which could provide increased secondary production.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I won't complain as the Jets are winning now and Kyle Connor seems to be doing well with Scheifele and Wheeler, but I would love to see Laine with some other center than Little and sometimes it could be good to test Scheifele and Wheeler separated. Laine can play with either one separately and I feel like he has chemistry with both. That would be pretty refreshing to see, especially if that gives good results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad