Kulikov
Poolman
Niku
---
Trouba (RFA)
Myers (UFA)
Chiarot (UFA)
Morrow (UFA)

Probably need to sign five guys this summer, because Niku and Poolman are not going to get a fair shake.

Morrow shows as an RFA on cap friendly

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
What’s your guys thoughts on Laine long term? If he wants 10-11 per year is he worth it? I love the look of your team but wonder if signing him to a big contract is going to thin the roster and if it’s worth it. I know he seems untouchable but you gotta think he would fetch a good return and keep cap space and possibly even make the team better. Hope this doesn’t come off wrong.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
What’s your guys thoughts on Laine long term? If he wants 10-11 per year is he worth it? I love the look of your team but wonder if signing him to a big contract is going to thin the roster and if it’s worth it. I know he seems untouchable but you gotta think he would fetch a good return and keep cap space and possibly even make the team better. Hope this doesn’t come off wrong.
not a chance in hell he is getting 10-11. when he isn't scoring, he's not even top 9 forward.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
not a chance in hell he is getting 10-11. when he isn't scoring, he's not even top 9 forward.
Well that’s what I’m asking. Because his agent sure as shit will be asking for it. He will surely get 9 and frankly I don’t want to see the Jets saddled with that. Hope I’m wrong.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well that’s what I’m asking. Because his agent sure as **** will be asking for it. He will surely get 9 and frankly I don’t want to see the Jets saddled with that. Hope I’m wrong.
I'd give him 8 x $9m and smile all summer. He's 20 years old and an elite goal scorer that still has a lot of room for development. He's a good kid who's going to get better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd give him 8 x $9m and smile all summer. He's 20 years old and an elite goal scorer that still has a lot of room for development. He's a good kid who's going to get better.

Yeah, people forget just how much work Chef still had left at that age.

Laine in another couple of years will be a force once he grows into his body and gains strength.

Reactions: Cypruss

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Only HF saying he want a certain amount.

Infact, non of us knows...

Reactions: Cypruss

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Well many here before Scheifele signed that contract thinks

He is a very good 2C
And an average 1st line C.

Few saw what chef had in him.

Chef also was gambling he took that 6M.
If he knew he will be a top 5 -7M he will probably have takrn a little bit more money.

Laine also didnt have his entry level contract slide. He will probably be one of the youngest to go UFA at the end of his 24th birthday.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well that’s what I’m asking. Because his agent sure as **** will be asking for it. He will surely get 9 and frankly I don’t want to see the Jets saddled with that. Hope I’m wrong.

Don't let his misuse mislead you.

I don't think there are GMs in this league who didn't love to sign Laine 9M right away if that was possible. Luckily for the Jets, that might be possible for Chevy.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Well i think we all would. The bridge question becomes more important if he wants $10-11m per year. If Chevy is focussed on a cup in the next 3-4 years, then a 3 year bridge at $5-6m would give hime an extra $4-5m of cap space to work with. It's worth consideration.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Morrow is pretty brutal. He managed to string together a few decent games with Buff last season, but he's looked downright awful this year.

The Niku vs. Morrow thing seems linked to that primal fear among coaches. Big, gritty ****ty defensemen are allowed to be awful because they look better to the coach than a small, less-****ty, finesse defenseman. Just look at how much rope Stu got...
While i agree with you and think Niku should be playing more games than Morrow or at least a 50/50 split with Morrow , Maurice had Enstrom play a tonne of minutes and in no way was Enstrom a big gritty defenseman . Enstrom was alot better at defending than Niku but the only way Niku will get better is with actual game play . The only reason Stu played was because that's all we had for defenseman then .

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm curious how you would like Niku to be handled? It was clear from the beginning of the season that Niku and Poolman were # 8-9 on the depth chart, at least partly due to being waiver exempt. They were always going to be the injury callups. Niku had a 5 game opportunity and he really struggled. He still has a high ceiling but he has shown he is not quite ready yet. It sucks for him to be stuck in the PB because he really should be getting big minutes in the A, but with Poolman's injury he was next up. He likely gets a game or 2 sometime soon in for Morrow, but Morrow has been holding his own and giving you pretty much what you ask from your #7 defenseman. Now that we are a top contender prospects don't have the luxury of getting optimal developmental usage like they did a few years back.
I would have forced him into a spot. Morrow, Kuli and Chairot have combined for 83 games played, there's no reason those shouldn't have gone to Niku instead.

Morrow has been awful, Kuli was awful to start the year (better lately), and Chairot is awful every time he is away from Buff. No reason not to play Niku and let him develop instead of him having a grand total of 22 games played this year while not being injured at all.

Horrible decision making. If you weren't going to play him leave him in the A and call up Schilling or someone else instead, we are wasting a year of his most important developmental time.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Chiarot has been good without Buff. Stable. If anything he has solidified his spot in the lineup. Once again Niku doesn't kill penalties, so his role is different. It's between him and Morrow. Maybe the brass wanted to get Morrow playing some before the playoffs. If you remember last year's playoffs, we had to play with Morrow-Poolman as our 3rd pairing against Minnesota in one game. Which we won. I think the Jets coaches have more confidence in Morrow. He is more physical, and has a great shot.

If Morrow is off, or we get a weaker opponent in a non divisional game, we may see Niku. But to me he is next year. Learning this year.

I still don't see Sami as higher than 9 or 10 in depth going into the playoffs.

When he gets his next opportunity I hope he makes the most of it, but with defensemen patience goes a long way...

It's kind of frustrating reading how every vet on this team sucks, and every young player is the answer, except Lemieux, lol.
I don't agree with this at all. Chairot has never proven to be good without Buff, he is consistently hemmed in his own zone without Buff. He can't move the puck to save his life but when he has Buff he can just give it to Buff and let him do the work.

I generally think our vets are better than the other options, except for Niku vs. Chairot/Kuli/Morrow. There is little to no upside with those guys, they are what they are and it's not anything impressive. Give the guy who won AHL defensemen of the year as a 21 year old rookie a chance to get better and learn on the job. There's no way he would have cost us a significant amount of points if he was playing instead of any of those guys imo.

I do agree with the PK point though.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Connor Scheifele Ehlers
Laine Lowry Wheeler
Perrault Little Roslovic
Lemiuex Copp Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Chiarot Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
For me the coming roster moves, from the trade deadline through next summer, are shaping up to be more interesting than the on-ice season. Chevy better not blow it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For me the coming roster moves, from the trade deadline through next summer, are shaping up to be more interesting than the on-ice season. Chevy better not blow it.
This.Does.Not.Compute. (for me)

While I agree that the next 7-9 months are crucial for the near and medium term future of the Jets, I just can't see how off-ice things can be more captivating than on-ice events. After all, off-ice stuff is all about transforming the results on-ice.

Having said that, I was just thinking about posting a new thread related to off-ice topics for the coming months...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This.Does.Not.Compute. (for me)

While I agree that the next 7-9 months are crucial for the near and medium term future of the Jets, I just can't see how off-ice things can be more captivating than on-ice events. After all, off-ice stuff is all about transforming the results on-ice.

Having said that, I was just thinking about posting a new thread related to off-ice topics for the coming months...

To me the on-ice events are moot as long as the brainstorms emanate from he who I wish would remain jokeless. That leaves housekeeping to turn my crank, which has never happened before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad