Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Petan-Roslovic-Appleton

There's literally more chemistry with these lines than pomo should know what to do with. That first line dominated in Laine's rookie year, that second line all play the game the same way and Little can finally have an elite set up man and go back to being what he is, a shooting center. We all know what the third line can do, and that 4th line made the AHL their b**** when they were together. It was actually almost child's play the way they were dominating down there.

Ehlers injury sucks but we have the depth to make it a non issue if pomo chooses.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is one major shake up I'd like to see.

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Roslovic-Appleton
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

or

Connor-Scheifele-Appleton
Laine-Little-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Wheeler
Perreault-Copp-Ehlers

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What's the defense depth look like for next season so far?
Buff
Morrissey
Kulikov
Poolman
Niku
---
Trouba (RFA)
Myers (UFA)
Chiarot (UFA)
Morrow (UFA)

Probably need to sign five guys this summer, because Niku and Poolman are not going to get a fair shake.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff
Morrissey
Kulikov
Poolman
Niku
---
Trouba (RFA)
Myers (UFA)
Chiarot (UFA)
Morrow (UFA)

Probably need to sign five guys this summer, because Niku and Poolman are not going to get a fair shake.
And who says Niku and Poolman aren't going to get a fair shake? For now they are the 2 defenseman who are waiver exempt and neither has proven to be a clearly better everyday option. So to give away the depth we have to keep them around when everybody was healthy would be horrible asset management.

Niku has a big upside offensively, but really struggles at the NHL level in his own end. Poolman is steadier but has missed most of the season due to injury, so no real way to get a read on how he has progressed this season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
And who says Niku and Poolman aren't going to get a fair shake? For now they are the 2 defenseman who are waiver exempt and neither has proven to be a clearly better everyday option. So to give away the depth we have to keep them around when everybody was healthy would be horrible asset management.

Niku has a big upside offensively, but really struggles at the NHL level in his own end. Poolman is steadier but has missed most of the season due to injury, so no real way to get a read on how he has progressed this season.
And in which of their combined five games should they have proven themselves? Poolman's injury obviously complicated things, but Chiarot has played a combined 98 between this year and last year. A below replacement level guy, mind you. The fact that Poolman did not get to stay with the Jets last year in favour of Chia makes me concerned.

The fact that we are consistently icing negative WAR defensemen in Chiarot and Myers (and it's not like Kulikov and Morrow have done much either) suggests that they are not getting their shot anytime soon. Somebody should have noticed this long ago - like, last year? The worst that could happen is that they cannot get it done either, in which case they go back to the AHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And in which of their combined five games should they have proven themselves? Poolman's injury obviously complicated things, but Chiarot has played a combined 98 between this year and last year. A below replacement level guy, mind you.

The fact that we are consistently icing negative WAR defensemen in Chiarot and Myers (and it's not like Kulikov and Morrow have done much either) suggests that they are not getting their shot anytime soon. Somebody should have noticed this long ago - like, last year? The worst that could happen is that they cannot get it done either, in which case they go back to the AHL.
Unless they are clearly better options which they are not they are the 2 players you can waive without losing them. Way too many injuries happen to defenseman to throw them away on the waiver wire because you want to see what your favorite prospect can do. They will get their chances with time.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Unless they are clearly better options which they are not they are the 2 players you can waive without losing them. Way too many injuries happen to defenseman to throw them away on the waiver wire because you want to see what your favorite prospect can do. They will get their chances with time.
Just like every other young 4th liner and bottom pairing defenseman on this team gets. Few, far between, bad.

Call me a pessimist, but the way this team handles defensemen scares me.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just like every other young 4th liner and bottom pairing defenseman on this team gets. Few, far between, bad.

Call me a pessimist, but the way this team handles defensemen scares me.
Why does it scare you? They have players stepping up and playing well. Both Myers and Chairot had very strong games last night and Kuli more than held his own playing on his off side. Morrow is a bit of a weak ling but he hasn't been terrible. Niku will likely get a few games in the lineup for Morrow with Buff's injury, but who is going to shelter him? He really isn't ready to handle NHL assignments in his own end?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why does it scare you? They have players stepping up and playing well. Both Myers and Chairot had very strong games last night and Kuli more than held his own playing on his off side. Morrow is a bit of a weak ling but he hasn't been terrible. Niku will likely get a few games in the lineup for Morrow with Buff's injury, but who is going to shelter him? He really isn't ready to handle NHL assignments in his own end?
One-game sample sizes don't mean a thing to me.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I feel like at this point the only way to teach Niku how to handle NHL assignments in his own end is to allow him to handle NHL assignments in his own end, with a steady partner, in a sheltered role at first, and let him learn without fear of a swift benching if he makes a mistake. If not now, when?

I'd also note that Niku's reputation as defensively weak/at sea seems unearned to me. Yes, he needs some work, but so has pretty much every young D-man ever, and Niku is a smart and skilled player who needs to play NHL hockey to adapt to NHL hockey. I know the old adage that "the NHL isn't a development league," but just because its oft-repeated doesn't make it true, or we would never see players improve -- or develop -- while playing in it.

I'd also be willing to bet a week of fine lunches that what we have in Morrow and Chairot -- who I agree is a good 6-7 defender often stuck playing above his head-- is all we're going to get. Especially Morrow, who I've watched a ton.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like at this point the only way to teach Niku how to handle NHL assignments in his own end is to allow him to handle NHL assignments in his own end, with a steady partner, in a sheltered role at first, and let him learn without fear of a swift benching if he makes a mistake. If not now, when?

I'd also note that Niku's reputation as defensively weak/at sea seems unearned to me. Yes, he needs some work, but so has pretty much every young D-man ever, and Niku is a smart and skilled player who needs to play NHL hockey to adapt to NHL hockey. I know the old adage that "the NHL isn't a development league," but just because its oft-repeated doesn't make it true, or we would never see players improve -- or develop -- while playing in it.

I'd also be willing to bet a week of fine lunches that what we have in Morrow and Chairot -- who I agree is a good 6-7 defender often stuck playing above his head-- is all we're going to get. Especially Morrow, who I've watched a ton.
Morrow is pretty brutal. He managed to string together a few decent games with Buff last season, but he's looked downright awful this year.

The Niku vs. Morrow thing seems linked to that primal fear among coaches. Big, gritty shitty defensemen are allowed to be awful because they look better to the coach than a small, less-shitty, finesse defenseman. Just look at how much rope Stu got...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Morrow is pretty brutal. He managed to string together a few decent games with Buff last season, but he's looked downright awful this year.

The Niku vs. Morrow thing seems linked to that primal fear among coaches. Big, gritty ****ty defensemen are allowed to be awful because they look better to the coach than a small, less-****ty, finesse defenseman. Just look at how much rope Stu got...

The worst defensive performance I saw all year was Niku's 1st game up. I mean he was small and shitty. Our defense doesn't play small. When Niku kills penalties as good as Benny, then he has a case to be in the lineup. And even then...

I'd like to see Niku play with Kulikov, but anyone that thinks he is clearly better than what we have isn't watching too closely.

He gets to practice, learn every day now with pros, so that's good for his development.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The worst defensive performance I saw all year was Niku's 1st game up. I mean he was small and ****ty. Our defense doesn't play small. When Niku kills penalties as good as Benny, then he has a case to be in the lineup. And even then...

I'd like to see Niku play with Kulikov, but anyone that thinks he is clearly better than what we have isn't watching too closely.

He gets to practice, learn every day now with pros, so that's good for his development.
Yes, this is the line of thinking exactly. 150 games into his NHL career, Morrow still sucks...so let's keep doing that. Why take a risk on a young guy who may also suck? No one gets fired for starting a seasoned vet!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes, this is the line of thinking exactly. 150 games into his NHL career, Morrow still sucks...so let's keep doing that. Why take a risk on a young guy who may also suck? No one gets fired for starting a seasoned vet!

I think winning is the priority. They like Morrow more than Niku now, that's fine by me, both have to be sheltered. Niku's time is next year, he is only getting a taste this year. It's unfortunately a taste of the PB, right now, but let's face it, everyone coming out of the PB into the lineup has been prepared. As long as we win, doesn't matter who's in.

Reactions: LowLefty

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think winning is the priority. They like Morrow more than Niku now, that's fine by me, both have to be sheltered. Niku's time is next year, he is only getting a taste this year. It's unfortunately a taste of the PB, right now, but let's face it, everyone coming out of the PB into the lineup has been prepared. As long as we win, doesn't matter who's in.
Of course it is, but what is it that makes Morrow better for our chances of winning more games?

A five-game stint of Niku during an injury bug tells us nothing about what he is. As for Morrow, we have a much larger sample size of him not being NHL caliber.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Niku should be in imo. We have a good record and are at a point where we need to get him some seasoning. It's all well and good to want to win but I don't want to go into next year with an incredibly green defense.

We may be down all of Myers, Chariot, Trouba and Morrow.

I for one don't want to have us playing two dmen with very limited experience. Also we may need Niku in the playoffs so best get him comfortable.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Chariot and Morrow have both been pretty awful without Buff. I don't see how Niku can't start at that level and get better and better as the season goes on, he oozes potential. This season has been horrible for his development imo. I really think he has been badly mishandled.

Reactions: Jack722

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chariot and Morrow have both been pretty awful without Buff. I don't see how Niku can't start at that level and get better and better as the season goes on, he oozes potential. This season has been horrible for his development imo. I really think he has been badly mishandled.

I just hope he doesn't get Petaned by the org due to them liking sand paper dmen more.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Chiarot has been good without Buff. Stable. If anything he has solidified his spot in the lineup. Once again Niku doesn't kill penalties, so his role is different. It's between him and Morrow. Maybe the brass wanted to get Morrow playing some before the playoffs. If you remember last year's playoffs, we had to play with Morrow-Poolman as our 3rd pairing against Minnesota in one game. Which we won. I think the Jets coaches have more confidence in Morrow. He is more physical, and has a great shot.

If Morrow is off, or we get a weaker opponent in a non divisional game, we may see Niku. But to me he is next year. Learning this year.

I still don't see Sami as higher than 9 or 10 in depth going into the playoffs.

When he gets his next opportunity I hope he makes the most of it, but with defensemen patience goes a long way...

It's kind of frustrating reading how every vet on this team sucks, and every young player is the answer, except Lemieux, lol.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Of course it is, but what is it that makes Morrow better for our chances of winning more games?

A five-game stint of Niku during an injury bug tells us nothing about what he is. As for Morrow, we have a much larger sample size of him not being NHL caliber.

But he is a young player in Winnipeg Vets, so he has to be 3 times better than the people in front of him, just twice as good isn't good enough.

I hope they give Niku some more time, he could be a great addition to PP lines.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
But he is a young player in Winnipeg Vets, so he has to be 3 times better than the people in front of him, just twice as good isn't good enough.

I hope they give Niku some more time, he could be a great addition to PP lines.
Niku does deserve a shot! I'm convinced he's better than Morrow, and shortly Chiarot. But there's no way he should ever be on the PP with the big boys. He'd be way too far down the depth chart, and rightfully so.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Niku does deserve a shot! I'm convinced he's better than Morrow, and shortly Chiarot. But there's no way he should ever be on the PP with the big boys. He'd be way too far down the depth chart, and rightfully so.

Well PP is about offense and he might be in the top 4 offensive defensemen in the Jets. Especially is when Buff is out.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm curious how you would like Niku to be handled? It was clear from the beginning of the season that Niku and Poolman were # 8-9 on the depth chart, at least partly due to being waiver exempt. They were always going to be the injury callups. Niku had a 5 game opportunity and he really struggled. He still has a high ceiling but he has shown he is not quite ready yet. It sucks for him to be stuck in the PB because he really should be getting big minutes in the A, but with Poolman's injury he was next up. He likely gets a game or 2 sometime soon in for Morrow, but Morrow has been holding his own and giving you pretty much what you ask from your #7 defenseman. Now that we are a top contender prospects don't have the luxury of getting optimal developmental usage like they did a few years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad