Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Little is tied for 47th for centers. That makes him a bona fide 2C offensively so you are, yet again wrong. Oh yeah, he is better defensively than most of the centers above him.

Considering the talent he's had around him and still remaining 47th in the league certainly shouldn't flatter anyone, but each to their own I suppose.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Considering the talent he's had around him and still remaining 47th in the league certainly shouldn't flatter anyone, but each to their own I suppose.
It's a buggar when facts prove you wrong, eh?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Little is tied for 47th for centers. That makes him a bona fide 2C offensively so you are, yet again wrong. Oh yeah, he is better defensively than most of the centers above him.
Second in 5v5 production among all Jets.

Pretty good, considering that he is on a supposedly trash line which hinders other Jets.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's a buggar when facts prove you wrong, eh?

Nada.

Pretty good, considering that he is on a supposedly trash line which hinders other Jets.

Ha, kinda makes one wonder how it even is possible, considering that there are far better players in the team. Mismatching assets can bring some strange outcomes for sure.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nada.

Ha, kinda makes one wonder how it even is possible, considering that there are far better players in the team. Mismatching assets can bring some strange outcomes for sure.
How? I have been told that only the results matter. Goals, points, what have you. By those standards, it is almost like Little > everyone but Scheifele at 5v5.

Don't quite agree with that, but I wanted to bring that up for the many people who wouldn't want to fall for a double standard.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Maybe we'll see Laine playing with Scheifele next year, or in few years, or after Wheeler's contract, or...
It interesting to see what happens offseason. I really believe it is waste of money to spend +8 M each to Wheeler and Laine. I also truly believe that Laine isnt so happy camper that he tells in the interviews. If you think it about his side 1C is glued with Wheeler who has expensive 5 year contract.. What there is to gain besides money?

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
I find that Little could work well as a 2nd line center, last year he looked pretty bad but imo he's played well and stronger this season.

The problem with ELL is so clear to see it's hard to understand why they keep playing like that and why the coach keep putting them together. It's mismatch of different playing styles and lack of chemistry. Little keeps dumping the puck after red line and Ehlers/Laine duo wins about 1/10 of the board battles and keep the puck moving. Laine's floating style is also not good for the line but one can argue that it doesn't make sense to spend too much time behind the net with that kind of shot. But he definitely needs to get better on boards.

Also one thing that I hate that mostly Laine and Ehlers tend to chip the puck with a high dump out of their own zone rather than trying to pass to a skating guy. Scheifele is good example with his good timing and positioning to keep himself available to receive a pass in the own zone. Don't know if it's problem with Little or his wingers but 2nd line haven't been able to get too many clean entries out of zone.

Would be interesting to see Little with Wheeler to see if their zone entries or playing styles would work better. Their history says so, but for some reason Maurice thinks it's not an option to try.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Jets are a very mediocore 5on5 team.

GF 65 16th in the league
GA 65 17th in the league

Scheifele is 20th in 5on5 points (20pts)
Wheeler 57th (16pts)
Laine 73rd (15pts)
Little 73rd (15pts)
Ehlers 109th (13pts)
Connor 109th (13pts)

Laine is 11th in goals (11)
Scheifele 11th (11)
Ehlers 59th (7)
Connor 110th (5)
Little 215th (3)
Wheeler 309th (2)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Jets are a very mediocore 5on5 team.

GF 65 16th in the league
GA 65 17th in the league

Scheifele is 20th in 5on5 points (20pts)
Wheeler 57th (16pts)
Laine 73rd (15pts)
Little 73rd (15pts)
Ehlers 109th (13pts)
Connor 109th (13pts)

Laine is 11th in goals (11)
Scheifele 11th (11)
Ehlers 59th (7)
Connor 110th (5)
Little 215th (3)
Wheeler 309th (2)
Production per 60 minutes, that is.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How? I have been told that only the results matter. Goals, points, what have you. By those standards, it is almost like Little > everyone but Scheifele at 5v5.

Don't quite agree with that, but I wanted to bring that up for the many people who wouldn't want to fall for a double standard.

They absolutely do matter and we certainly should have a good look where Little lands once the regular season is over. If he still remains 2nd on the EV strength productivity, then perhaps I change my mind about him. However you should not forget the sample size of games played and him being there after 32 game mark doesn't really weight that heavy when you count in the last past 2-3 seasons. I really haven't seen any remarkable improvement from him since 17-18 simply by watching the games. Stastny really exposed him last year and I do think if they had another good to great center at his place, that'd give a huge boost for the line, especially if Connor was in it. Anyway, I wouldn't set up the fireworks just yet, especially not before the first half of the season was over and done with.

Last edited by a moderator:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Duo8FBwUUAYEU8X.jpg

Looking at the "fourth line" players.

Not a WAR stat. Doesn't include penalties, finishing talent, etc. but looks at overall team performance with said player on ice, adjusted for usage.

Reactions: Maukkis

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Duo8FBwUUAYEU8X.jpg

Looking at the "fourth line" players.

Not a WAR stat. Doesn't include penalties, finishing talent, etc. but looks at overall team performance with said player on ice, adjusted for usage.
I really wonder what is it that Maurice /observes/ on the ice that makes him play Lemieux.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Love it. Kid's trending up... erm, down... up and down... Which way is Thorburn again?

Beginning to wish they'd give Petan the Dano treatment and waive him unconditionally so he doesn't have to spend the rest of the season in the PB. At least not in our PB.

Reactions: Kratti

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If I was to try to get the best use of the top 9 , it would look something like this.

Perreault-Scheifele-Laine (Already proven in 16-17, best working combination of current Jets )
Connor-Little-Wheeler (Has great north-south players with Connor who can score)
Ehlers-Lowry-Tanev (Lowry centering the two extremely fast players, Ehlers would score a lot on the rush in this line)

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If I was to try to get the best use of the top 9 , it would look something like this.

Perreault-Scheifele-Laine (Already proven in 16-17, best working combination of current Jets )
Connor-Little-Wheeler (Has great north-south players with Connor who can score)
Ehlers-Lowry-Tanev (Lowry centering the two extremely fast players, Ehlers would score a lot on the rush in this line)
Unless they go on like a 10 game losing streak, Maurice is not going to split up Scheifele and Wheeler. It is a waste of energy proposing lineups that have them separated and will only lead to frustration.

Similar to how I think it's a waste of energy to beat the drum for Petan to get back into the lineup. I have given up on that dream.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Unless they go on like a 10 game losing streak, Maurice is not going to split up Scheifele and Wheeler. It is a waste of energy proposing lineups that have them separated and will only lead to frustration.

Similar to how I think it's a waste of energy to beat the drum for Petan to get back into the lineup. I have given up on that dream.

I realize that but hope is a better state of suffering than apathy.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Agreed - but you know it won't stop - broken record syndrome. The discussion in general is pure frustration for some and annoying to others.
Honestly, the Petan infatuation is getting a bit carried away but fans will be fans - I'm as guilty as the next when it comes to trumpeting certain 4th line players.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I really wonder what is it that Maurice /observes/ on the ice that makes him play Lemieux.

Well, Maurice cut his teeth coaching in the old school NHL.

So, he sees a bigger player and a goon. If you are a smaller skilled two-way guy who isn't a high draft pick, forget playing under Maurice.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Agreed - but you know it won't stop - broken record syndrome. The discussion in general is pure frustration for some and annoying to others.
Honestly, the Petan infatuation is getting a bit carried away but fans will be fans - I'm as guilty as the next when it comes to trumpeting certain 4th line players.

Yeah, what's with this obscure infatuation people have with our 4th line being good. So frustrating. Just accept how bad it is.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well, Maurice cut his teeth coaching in the old school NHL.

So, he sees a bigger player and a goon. If you are a smaller skilled two-way guy who isn't a high draft pick, forget playing under Maurice.

Jesus, here we go. I think he wants a grinder, gets to the net, gets dirty. Lemieux drew a penalty last night that could have got us back in the game.

Petan had a terrible game before he got scratched. I think he might get more possession time, than Lemieux, because he handles a pass better. But I don't have a problem with the grease. The Jets still lack guys outside of our checking line, who gets in the dirty areas. It's good to see what Lemieux actually brings. His ability to handle passes is the area he needs the most improvement on. He still is a step behind as well at times. But that physical element from the bottom 6 is something that virtually every team has. So while we are analyzing Lemieux, it's good see where we can improve. Petan is a player I would like to see in Perreault's absence, but let's be honest, he did not produce goals while he played. It's a results driven league.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Scoring chances are a result, that Petan did much better than Lemieux in.

Chances yes, but goals no.

I think it's moot as the return of Copp draws Lemieux out. And Perreault goes back to his spot on the wing with Roslovic, as he is not defensively strong enough for a shutdown role. Big goal against last night, with him losing position, giving up a breakaway. Big goal against the Hawks, with him losing the wall battle. If Maurice ever switched up Connor and Perreault I think we have 3 scoring line potential though.

I think we know what we have in Petan, a playmaker. Maurice is looking for some sandpaper, it seems, and it is good to see what Lemieux can bring or can not bring. He has cost us only one game that I remember, possibly 2.

I hope Appleton stays up with Copp's return. I would not be surprised if we traded Petan, to address depth at other positions, particularly centre, where Petan does not seem to have Maurice's confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowLefty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad