Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chances yes, but goals no.

I think it's moot as the return of Copp draws Lemieux out. And Perreault goes back to his spot on the wing with Roslovic, as he is not defensively strong enough for a shutdown role. Big goal against last night, with him losing position, giving up a breakaway. Big goal against the Hawks, with him losing the wall battle. If Maurice ever switched up Connor and Perreault I think we have 3 scoring line potential though.

I think we know what we have in Petan, a playmaker. Maurice is looking for some sandpaper, it seems, and it is good to see what Lemieux can bring or can not bring. He has cost us only one game that I remember, possibly 2.

I hope Appleton stays up with Copp's return. I would not be surprised if we traded Petan, to address depth at other positions, particularly centre, where Petan does not seem to have Maurice's confidence.
Don't see how trading Petan addresses depth at any position. No team is giving up assets for him. You might get a few takers on the waiver wire, but at this point I think the window to move him for a return has past by. Maybe he is enough of a nudge as an add in a bigger deal but that would be about it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Don't see how trading Petan addresses depth at any position. No team is giving up assets for him. You might get a few takers on the waiver wire, but at this point I think the window to move him for a return has past by. Maybe he is enough of a nudge as an add in a bigger deal but that would be about it.

I think Montreal would have an interest in him.

But they don't have a player to fill a hole, especially at centre. Maybe Brent Lernout, with Poolman on the shelf. I think Byron Froese would make a good captain down the road for the Moose, but I would not trade for him.

In that scenario it's probably worth keeping him. If Montreal traded a pick for him, I'd consider taking one back, maybe we get our 4th back?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd like to see us out of the break with these lines:

27-55-26
85-18-29
81-9-28
13-17-82

Under no illusions that Petan would remain in the lineup with Lowry and Copp returning.

Think that third line could provide some serious zone time and offense.

Oh, it won't happen.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Why not use the opportunity of having too many forwards to get Roslovic some big minutes with the Moose?

I worry about his development plateauing at 8 minutes a night and no special teams play.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see us out of the break with these lines:

27-55-26
85-18-29
18-9-28
13-17-82

Under no illusions that Petan would remain in the lineup with Lowry and Copp returning.

Think that third line could provide some serious zone time and offense.

Oh, it won't happen.
you you have Brian little playing on two lines

Reactions: Gil Fisher
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why not use the opportunity of having too many forwards to get Roslovic some big minutes with the Moose?

I worry about his development plateauing at 8 minutes a night and no special teams play.

At some point I could see a positive in this occurring.

Lowry's mid-season return to the AHL for 4 games back in December 2015 contributed greatly to furthering his game and he's never looked back.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice says he wants to bump the 4th line up to 9 minutes (from 6). That probably means moving Perreault or Copp down to the 4th line to make it stronger defensively.

Appleton getting PK duty is a sign that he's earned some trust from Maurice. My guess is that once Copp and Lowry are back, we'll see...

27-55-26
81-18-29
85-17-13
9-28-82

Another option would be to keep Petan in the lineup and move Copp to C and Roslovic to RW...

19-9-28

Regardless, the Jets' forward depth looks pretty good right now.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maurice says he wants to bump the 4th line up to 9 minutes (from 6).

He has been saying that all season but regardless of how that line plays they are stuck receiving marginal minutes. I am inclined to say that Maurice is not serious about that claim... he'd get them to 9 minutes in blowout games but does not have the motivation to do so in the vast majority of other games.

Appleton getting PK duty is a sign that he's earned some trust from Maurice. My guess is that once Copp and Lowry are back, we'll see...

27-55-26
81-18-29
85-17-13
9-28-82

Another option would be to keep Petan in the lineup and move Copp to C and Roslovic to RW...

19-9-28

Here's a chilling scenario – Appleton and Petan go out of the lineup when Copp and Lowry get back and Lemieux stays. I don't think that scenario is out of the realm of possibilities.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Chances yes, but goals no.

I think it's moot as the return of Copp draws Lemieux out. And Perreault goes back to his spot on the wing with Roslovic, as he is not defensively strong enough for a shutdown role. Big goal against last night, with him losing position, giving up a breakaway. Big goal against the Hawks, with him losing the wall battle. If Maurice ever switched up Connor and Perreault I think we have 3 scoring line potential though.

I think we know what we have in Petan, a playmaker. Maurice is looking for some sandpaper, it seems, and it is good to see what Lemieux can bring or can not bring. He has cost us only one game that I remember, possibly 2.

I hope Appleton stays up with Copp's return. I would not be surprised if we traded Petan, to address depth at other positions, particularly centre, where Petan does not seem to have Maurice's confidence.

Goals follow chances, not vice versa.

I care more about how a player will score and will outscore than how they have previously.

If a person does something and won't do it again, you don't hire them to do that.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
I think they should try to Copp or Lowry between Connor and Laine to get them going. Copp worked well with Ehlers and Laine last year for a few games and would be interesting to see Lowry with more offensively talented wingers.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think they should try to Copp or Lowry between Connor and Laine to get them going. Copp worked well with Ehlers and Laine last year for a few games and would be interesting to see Lowry with more offensively talented wingers.

Connor-Lowry-Laine could be interesting, although that probably hurts Little's icetime and usage.

Reactions: nippanappa

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Maurice says he wants to bump the 4th line up to 9 minutes (from 6). That probably means moving Perreault or Copp down to the 4th line to make it stronger defensively.

27-55-26
81-18-29
85-17-13
9-28-82

19-9-28

I'd like to see Jets roll those four lines at 5v5 and not worry about matchups too much. Chasing a game in the third, they could make the third line 85-9-28 and roll three.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

27-55-26
81-18-29
85-17-13
9-28-82

19-9-28

Or maybe he puts Matty P on the 4th and Copp back with Lowry and Tanev. This would give the 4th a real offensive jump and enough defense from MP to trust with 9 minutes.

27-55-26
81-18-29
9-17-13
85-28-82

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Jets roll those four lines at 5v5 and not worry about matchups too much. Chasing a game in the third, they could make the third line 85-9-28 and roll three.
Getty favorable matchups is one of our biggest advantages over other teams. Not many teams can seamlessly transition from strength to strength with Scheif's line to a shut down line with Lowry.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Getty favorable matchups is one of our biggest advantages over other teams. Not many teams can seamlessly transition from strength to strength with Scheif's line to a shut down line with Lowry.

if we set up the four lines as you/whilee/I have above, I think we can roll them. Maybe the odd icing where we trap a poor line out there, we come back with 55, but generally speaking, I think those four lines can handle any matchups. I'd be more concerned about lining up the d-pairs appropriately.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Goals follow chances, not vice versa.

I care more about how a player will score and will outscore than how they have previously.

If a person does something and won't do it again, you don't hire them to do that.

Your premise is based on some predicative notion of the future. But you have no idea who it hot and cold and how that will affect others. It only takes one mistake to change the possession arrow or give up a scoring chance. Sometimes it's not even a mistake, it could be a matter of being outmatched. Petan got pulled after a bad game. Plain and simple. The Jets are trying to grow Roslovic at centre. For the future. So with him Lemieux or any of the young guys for that matter, there will be growing pains. And we're more than halfway to the trade deadline, still figuring out chemistry and roles, and since we are 1st in the West, 3rd best, something is working?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Or maybe he puts Matty P on the 4th and Copp back with Lowry and Tanev. This would give the 4th a real offensive jump and enough defense from MP to trust with 9 minutes.

27-55-26
81-18-29
9-17-13
85-28-82
With how well Perreault has been playing with Lowry and Tanev, I would be reluctant to move him off that line. Maybe they could consider moving him to RW, and move Tanev down to the 4th line. But then I think the 4th line suffers a bit because I am not confident that Tanev will be as effective there as Copp.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
With how well Perreault has been playing with Lowry and Tanev, I would be reluctant to move him off that line. Maybe they could consider moving him to RW, and move Tanev down to the 4th line. But then I think the 4th line suffers a bit because I am not confident that Tanev will be as effective there as Copp.
Agreed he has been playing very well on the 3rd, but Matty P just seems like such an ace in the hole for the 4th line. When he is on the 4th we have a pure matchup advantage

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Going back to the beginning of last year, 9-17-13 has outperformed 85-17-13, so i think I'd just move 85 back with Roslovic and 19/82.

Reactions: voyageur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad