Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
That's not a HF Boards phenomenon, that's reality. Coaches work tirelessly to find combinations that will result in the best possible product so that their team wins. If a team is winning, a coach is not going to disrupt that. Let's just cut to the chase though-this is all about getting Laine on the first line so that he can potentially show a a pulse at even strength. What evidence is there that his play right now warrants that? He's not doing any of things necessary to make his line succeed at even strength. It's painful to watch.

The thing is that they aren't getting it done 5on5... It's the PP that's winning the games for them.

Only Arizona and LA have scored less 5on5.

Reactions: Halberdier

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Laine
Copp Lowry Little
Appleton Shaw Vesalainen

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Samberg Poolman

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Laine
Copp Lowry Little
Appleton Shaw Vesalainen

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Samberg Poolman
Little is contributing to the Laine tear. Don't touch it yet!

Reactions: LAINEC

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Laine
Copp Lowry Little
Appleton Shaw Vesalainen

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Samberg Poolman

I don't think we'll ever see Niku with Buff. We didn't see it in TC. We saw Stanley. I think the coaching wants a more stay at home defenseman and one who is strong in the boards, allows Buff to jump in.

Chiarot-Niku maybe as a 3rd pairing. Or Niku-Poolman. I think the production in the A maybe got fans expectations exceeding coaches.

I'm curious is we'll see Petan-Roslovic-Appleton at some point. That was the top line for the Moose last year, for a stretch.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
KC-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler

I would go with that. Form the best line in hockey and run with it. Get more out of all the best 3 forwards.

Get better overall play out of Wheeler by reducing icetime.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think we'll ever see Niku with Buff. We didn't see it in TC. We saw Stanley. I think the coaching wants a more stay at home defenseman and one who is strong in the boards, allows Buff to jump in.

Chiarot-Niku maybe as a 3rd pairing. Or Niku-Poolman. I think the production in the A maybe got fans expectations exceeding coaches.

I'm curious is we'll see Petan-Roslovic-Appleton at some point. That was the top line for the Moose last year, for a stretch.

You're probably right about Niku and Buff. Samberg with Buff and Niku-Poolman might work though.

Not sure on Shaw's contract status for the offseason...chexk that...he's an RFA after this year. Does he have decent speed? Vesa, Apples and Shaw would have some decent size for that line.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
So there's no source for that speculation?

Even if there was, coach has had no trouble playing Laine with unfitting linemates and much lower icetime he would like. So he has no problem going against players wishes. He should tell Scheifele it's for the best of the team and just do it. There's no rational reason for Chef not to play with Laine, it improves both

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Lol.

If i don't want to disclose to Mods, I'm not going to discoose to random posters.

Ok just don't expect me to believe it. There's no source and it would be absurd for Chef to actually think that way, or Maurice to allow it on the expense of the team. So it's not very plausible without anything to back it up.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I keep the same forward line up the last 2 games.

This is the best combinations Maurice have put up so far. Except when Stastny was here.

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Connor Little Laine
Perrault Lowry Tanev
Lemiuex Roslovic Petan

When Copp gets healthy
Just insert Copp in 4th line lw and remove Lemiuex.
He can also help with faceoff for that 4th line.
Probably would give Maurice a little bit more confidence if Copp is there instead of Perrault for faceoff purposes. To give that line some more ice time.

For defense,
When is Kulikov coming back?
It was for a month only right....

Reactions: LAINEC

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ok just don't expect me to believe it. There's no source and it would be absurd for Chef to actually think that way, or Maurice to allow it on the expense of the team. So it's not very plausible without anything to back it up.

Scheifele would not be such a princess that he would force a worse lineup for the team. Imagine Ehlers and Little; "Thanks a lot Scheif, this is great" :laugh:.

(Although at the end of the day the dogs shoudn't run the kennel in the first place).

I don't believe it either. Or maybe it's true but not the reason for the lineup changes, at most.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's not about being a princess. Coaches often ask their top centres who they like to play with. Top centres often have preferences due to playing styles and comfort and predictability. It's pretty common across all levels.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Please take Trouba off of the PP1, no reason 2 d-men need to be on that unit. Trouba doesn't want to be here anyways so no sure why we are rewarding him with PP minutes esp if he hasn't been accomplishing much on it. Take Trouba off that unit and replace him with Petan or Roslovic.

I've been vetted before. But this is a different source. Rather than vet, i deleted. But i think it's even been mentioned around here a bunch.

There has been no credence or evidence to any such story.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
With Buff on IR, Copp on IR

I'd like to see this lineup

Logan Shaw promoted

Brendan Lemieux demoted

Tucker Poolman promoted

Sami Niku demoted

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Laine
Tanev-Lowry-L. Shaw
Petan-Roslovic-Perreault

A veteran on every line.

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Myers
Schilling/Morrow-Poolman

Logan Shaw I'd like to see on the shutdown line. He has better wheels than Perreault, and the size to play the cycle game, which is what you need to grind out some possession time. He may be holding a spot for Copp, but it would be nice to have a 4th option on that line.
A right handed one too.

Petan-Roslosvic-Perreault put up good possession numbers, which the 4th with Lemieux has failed to do. I think Maurice has some doubts about Rosie as a centre, and we may need to sacrifice a 2nd round pick on a rental centre, like Brock Nelson, Jimmy Hayes, or Tyler Bozak to run 4 dangerous lines in the dance. As I think Roslovic might be more of a threat at this stage of his career as a forechecking bat out of hell winger.

Defensively, I don't want to write off Niku, but I think he has a ways to go still. Lots of time to improve. I'd rather have a healthy, more mature Poolman in the lineup though, if given a choice.

If we can run Chiarot-Myers successfully (as we did in the playoffs), we can fill in Kulikov for Schilling, as a partner for Poolman, and that's our 3rd and 4th pairs for a playoff run. I'd still like to see Alexander Edler as a deadline acquisition. He and Buff would be the hardest hitting pairing in the league. Make a few guys bail out, in the open ice and on the boards.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Poolman is injured.

That's Kulikov and Buff on IR. Kulikov is skating. Morrow is day to day. I couldn't find anything about Poolman's injury, except that he is injured, but there's really nobody left on the Moose, just Stanley and Nogier for depth. At this point of the season. I might be looking to trade Lemieux for a depth defenseman, since our forward depth is rather strong. But our draft and developed defense is a year away from being a position of strength.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
When is the last time Scheifele and Wheeler played a game apart of each other? I think it's like 2 years ago (!) Is it normal with other teams also to play their top lines/duos so long together without even trying things out?

Speaking of which, I would like to see coach trying different offensive combinations other than switching Ehlers and Connor (and Perreault) around. And I'm not talking about Mo's classic 2 period tryouts then reverting back to CSW and ELL..

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Scheifele - Roslovic
Laine - Scheifele - Roslovic
Perreault - Scheifele - Laine

Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers

Connor - Roslovic - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Laine
Ehlers - Roslovic - Wheeler

Possibilities are endless, try something new for at least 4-5 games and let's see what's happening then. Why not even trying players like Appleton, Copp, Petan to insert in top lines and run truly with 3 offensive lines?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When is the last time Scheifele and Wheeler played a game apart of each other? I think it's like 2 years ago (!) Is it normal with other teams also to play their top lines/duos so long together without even trying things out?

Speaking of which, I would like to see coach trying different offensive combinations other than switching Ehlers and Connor (and Perreault) around. And I'm not talking about Mo's classic 2 period tryouts then reverting back to CSW and ELL..

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Scheifele - Roslovic
Laine - Scheifele - Roslovic
Perreault - Scheifele - Laine

Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers

Connor - Roslovic - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Laine
Ehlers - Roslovic - Wheeler

Possibilities are endless, try something new for at least 4-5 games and let's see what's happening then. Why not even trying players like Appleton, Copp, Petan to insert in top lines and run truly with 3 offensive lines?

I don't think you'll see it until there is an injury. You can't say that they don't generate scoring chances. Maybe Wheeler has become Captain Obvious that he is looking for Scheifele when he hits the zone, but that line has 3 dynamics to it. Connor is more straight line than Ehlers. I think Maurice wants to ride his Hull and Oates combo, not that I agree.

i'd like to see Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine. Followed by Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler at least once. Tanev-Lowry-Little. Petan/Perreault-Copp-Appleton.

Something different.

I'd also like to see Logan Shaw in a Jets uniform. With Copp out. Just to see how he fits, and because he's a good penalty killer.

Reactions: nippanappa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad