Roll Call 2018-19 Stanley Cup Finals Roll Call

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
STL born and raised. I call South City home, just bought a house in the Carondolet area. Born and bred bluesier, earliest Blues memory is probably trading for Gretz. I had season tickets for a couple of years in high school ($7/game for a couple of years), never played aside from some roller hockey.

I think I joined this site before the 07 draft which I attended. Two of our three first rounders that year have a Cup win, hopefully Perron makes it #3 this year.

My avi is Bud Ice because I remember it being a common hockey ad as a child (on the ice and the Doobie Doobie Doo penguins), back during the golden days of Budweiser advertising. Now it's mostly drunk by the homeless year round and myself come playoff time.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
STL born and raised. I call South City home, just bought a house in the Carondolet area. Born and bred bluesier, earliest Blues memory is probably trading for Gretz. I had season tickets for a couple of years in high school ($7/game for a couple of years), never played aside from some roller hockey.

I think I joined this site before the 07 draft which I attended. Two of our three first rounders that year have a Cup win, hopefully Perron makes it #3 this year.

My avi is Bud Ice because I remember it being a common hockey ad as a child (on the ice and the Doobie Doobie Doo penguins), back during the golden days of Budweiser advertising. Now it's mostly drunk by the homeless year round and myself come playoff time.
I have ties to Carondelet. Can't say more than that, really, but I have a lot of great memories from there and still find myself about from time to time.

Hope you enjoy it as well.

Reactions: shmotz

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I'm here from St. Louis this time. In different years, I would have checked off Arkansas, Belgium, Germany, or Israel from the list. I once stayed up all night in Israel, the first two days I got there, to follow the draft, just to watch us take Schmaltz and Kurker 1-2. At least the third round panned out. I also woke up at 3 am in Belgium to watch us play Minnesota back in 2015. I'd go to bed at 9, wake up at 3, and then go get breakfast when the game finished (and restaurants opened) What a let down that was.
Haven't posted much in this subforum cause the violent pessimism annoys me sometimes, but I'm happy to be here for this. I started posting here back when we were relatively terrible because the prospects were all we had to look forward to and HF was the place to go. I don't miss the days of Glumac and Sejna being the next big things.
Mike Glumac now plays in my beer league LOL

Pretty funny getting to play against a guy you grew up watching.

Fred Murtz2

May 22, 2019
Was Fred Murtz the video uploader guy. Couldnt get my old log in to work so Im Fred Murtz2 now.

Been following the Blues since 1967, the Braves even before the Blues. Played HS and junior B hockey in STL. Got my ass whipped for skipping school to go watch the Blues practice at Winterland. Hated on Keith Magnuson and Bobby Clarke. Im about to be fitted for a walker so they need to win the cup before i go face down in my oatmeal.

Annoying blackhawk fans in Socal now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Was Fred Murtz the video uploader guy. Couldnt get my old log in to work so Im Fred Murtz2 now.

Been following the Blues since 1967, the Braves even before the Blues. Played HS and junior B hockey in STL. Got my ass whipped for skipping school to go watch the Blues practice at Winterland. Hated on Keith Magnuson and Bobby Clarke. Im about to be fitted for a walker so they need to win the cup before i go face down in my oatmeal.

Annoying blackhawk fans in Socal now.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just realized I haven't posted in here yet.

Born and raised in north county but I bought a house in Dogtown last summer and am loving every second of it down here. Basically grew up in hockey rinks, whether it was playing with my own teams or tagging along with my dad. He was a linseman in the old IHL and AHL all through the 90s. I think the final tally was 12 or 13 years, and even made it up to the NHL for a few games during the officials strike in 93/94. He's also been an off-ice official for the last 15+ years. I can't even begin to count the amount of time I spent in Enterprise Center and the minors rinks with my dad over the years and wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.

So needless to say I was destined to be a hockey fan.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Mike Glumac now plays in my beer league LOL

Pretty funny getting to play against a guy you grew up watching.

I love the "dark age" Blues. :laugh:

Mike Glumac, Curtis Sanford, Mike Sillinger, coach Mike Kitchen, Eric Brewer ( :help: ), Christian Backman, Patrick Lalime, etc.

That was the year I went to my first game (we beat the Canucks 4-1), this was also the same year of the "Wideman flop".

Good times. :lol:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Sorry I hadn't posted yet. I'm from Edwardsville, Illinois, born and raised. It's about 20 minutes outside of downtown. I have loved the Blues since I was 7 and first saw a game on TV. I'm hoping my daughter, 19 months old right now, becomes just as big of a Blues fan. It's been a wild ride that I wouldn't trade for anything.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
And ruin the mystique?

Fine, since everyone else is sharing.

I'm a relatively serious amateur photographer, and I've always been drawn to the visual medium, so I didn't choose my avatar lightly. I wanted something that was both captivating and technically interesting, had the right color palette, and that reflected something about me, while still leaving room for others to have their own interpretations.

I stumbled upon this portrait on Flickr way back in the day and knew instantly that it was perfect. It's cool (as in not warm), but still intimate. Her expression is focused and intense, but the emotion behind it is ambiguous and guarded. You're left reading into that expression since it will never resolve, and in that way she's a mirror. Your response to her ultimately reveals more about you than her. All of that appeals to me. The fact that her intensity appears to be focused on the words she's gazing out over on the forum (whether quoted posts or my own) due to her pose is an added plus. Online, our words are who we are.

The color palette is perfect, again for the cool overtones, but also because blue is the only color present and I root for the Blues. It doesn't smack you in the face, except for maybe her eyes, but it's undeniably there.

From a technical standpoint, this is an IR portrait, and IR photography is a medium that I happen to enjoy quite a bit as it produces some stunning images, even though it's not one that I indulge in myself (at least not yet). Also, my own personal style tends to gravitate toward vivid/saturated colors, and this image is a counterpoint that reminds me that the other side of that fence can be just as compelling. For both reasons, it's always there urging me to push my boundaries and try something new.

Apparently others find it equally compelling for their own reasons. I've had a number of inquiries about it over the years, and it won a "Best Avatar" competition on the Mod board three or four years back (head-to-head voting in a seeded bracket format), beating out Fugu's avatar in the finals. I'm guessing that had more to do with an attractive woman beating out a fish than any of the stuff I mentioned above, though. :laugh:

Neeeeerd

maxresdefault.jpg

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
Alright well because Easton went through the trouble to explain his avatar and in honor of the Blues making the SCF I will finally reveal the the closely guarded backstory to my username. It's a really bad story though, so if you don't want it to be ruined don't read the below.

Back in middle school I went on my first High Adventure with my Boy Scout Troop (Eagle Scouts represent). It was to the boundary waters of northern Minnesota so we left really early in the morning, like 4 AM. We stopped at a gas station in town for snacks before the trip and we were in line to check out and we were of course all groggy and dazed from it being so early in the morning. One of the spots in the hot box near the register was labeled "fish sandwiches" but there were cinnamon rolls in there. I stared at in my groggy haze for a few seconds and announced "... those aren't fish sandwiches".

We were all high on sleepyness so everyone though it was really funny, so we formed a temporary Patrol for the HA called the "fish sandwich patrol" and people seem to think it's a cool username so I keep using it.

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
Mostly just a lurker, but occasional poster. Born and raised in IL and 2 hours from STL. Been a Blues fan all my life thanks to our old neighbors who were big hockey fans. Parents weren't big hockey fans but was lucky enough to go to 2-3 games every year, and eventually decided to go to SLU primarily to go to more games.

Few fun facts:

- Played roller hockey with former blues draft pick Luke Opilka before his dad moved him to STL so his sons could play Ice Hockey.
-Took my wife on our first date to Opening night in 2011 and the purposed out front of the stadium on Opening Night 2015.
-Daughter was born just before the ROR trade was announced, making ROR the 2nd biggest move of the day for Blues nation after having their lucky charm born just prior.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I went out on a ranger program in my early teens...real Lord of the Flies stuff. A week in the wilderness, carry-in carry-out, essentially unsupervised with a group of boys going through puberty, self-navigating from high adventure point to high adventure point for intermittent bouts of supervised fun. It was brutal, but also great. We stopped at a McDonalds on the way home after my parents picked me up. I had 40 McNuggets, a large fries, and a large chocolate milkshake. Best meal I've ever had.

A couple of years later, I was taking the large-boat sailing merit badge while at summer camp on Kentucky Lake. We had a gale roll through one day, and the skipper took us out (he was a retired racer, and the boat was one he once raced in the America's Cup). You haven't lived until you've sailed through a gale. Boat was damn near on its side for the duration and we were moving. Might be the single most adrenaline filled experience of my life.

For a more topical anecdote, I also went to the National Jamboree in '93 (Fort AP Hill in Virginia), the year of the flood. Ironically, it poured while we were there as well and we needed to sandbag our camp gateway (which was in the shape of the Arch) to keep it from washing out. People there ate up the irony and it became quite the photo op. People from all over the world were dropping by the camp to get the shot. A picture of it made the front page of the event newsletter.

Thanks, BSA (and Explorers).

8270f76f9a61447ead6988cc0a2b1eb7_snapshot.png

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Hey, I’m CoMoBlues, which refers to my past 11 years or so living in Columbia, MO. I’m living in Columbus, Ohio now, but made the pilgrimage back to the Lou to take in Game 3 at Enterprise, since my wife bought us tickets before the final started. We’re both born and bred St. Louisans, so we couldn’t miss this special moment. Like Fred Murtz, you may remember me for similar exploits, because even during a bs satellite business dispute, I still believed this club was in for big things in the future and didn’t want anyone to miss it. My avatar helps explain my position as a big optimist, and who better than Kool Aid Man to get folks to drink the Blue Kool Aid.

Is everyone here thirsty for a Stanley Cup Victory? OH YEAAHH!

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
I’m Twisted Blue from St. Louis. 38 and grew up a Blues fan watching games with family. Live in Chesterfield with my wife and 16 month old daughter. Work from home so I love to read the boards when work is slow during the day.

Only one brother posts on here and get to watch the game with him this evening. LGB!

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Fan of the Blues since the early 70’s when I heard an AM radio broadcast from St. Louis of a game that I only got in Central Missouri due to skip off overcast weather. Spent years in Alaska and became a hockey fan of all levels, high school, senior men’s, college, and juniors! Worked the Canadian border with Alaska after leaving the military. Have now worked and lived on the Tex-Mex border the last eighteen years.

hockensm77

Feb 21, 2015
I'm in Vancouver this week -- spent all day wandering in Stanley Park. When I saw on the map that there was a statue of Lord Stanley in the park, I searched it out and lay my favorite Blues hat at his feet, asking that he find the Blues worthy of winning. Couldn't hurt!

Two guys in Blues shirts walked by around the same time, so at least 3 of us were there to magnify the power...

On a side note, holy cow this is a gorgeous place. Time to find a sports bar before game time!

Attachments

• 20190603_111949.jpg
    20190603_111949.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad