Roll Call 2018-19 Stanley Cup Finals Roll Call

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
checking in from hoosierland

I'm from about an hour from St Louis on the IL side, actually grew up a Leafs fan because of a weird mix of liking the word "Toronto", blue jays being one of my favorite animal, and Felix Potvin (because little kids don't need any better reasons to like a team). I always liked the Blues and went to lots of games (got a puck flipped to me which I still have on display, was up near the glass before the game and a player named Doug Wood flipped it to me) growing up but wasn't truly a "fan" until around 2009 when I got back into sports after losing interest after the lockout coinciding with my high school years. Never had a "good" reason to be a Leafs fan so I haven't cared about them since, been all in on the Blues.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm here from St. Louis this time. In different years, I would have checked off Arkansas, Belgium, Germany, or Israel from the list. I once stayed up all night in Israel, the first two days I got there, to follow the draft, just to watch us take Schmaltz and Kurker 1-2. At least the third round panned out. I also woke up at 3 am in Belgium to watch us play Minnesota back in 2015. I'd go to bed at 9, wake up at 3, and then go get breakfast when the game finished (and restaurants opened) What a let down that was.
Haven't posted much in this subforum cause the violent pessimism annoys me sometimes, but I'm happy to be here for this. I started posting here back when we were relatively terrible because the prospects were all we had to look forward to and HF was the place to go. I don't miss the days of Glumac and Sejna being the next big things.

Last edited:

homeoftheBlues

Oct 10, 2011
St. Louis
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I have always enjoyed the shared knowledge and the back and forth on the Blues forum. Been a huge Blues fan since the late 70's. Back in the day as a kid I'd fall asleep in bed listening to the games on KMOX. I've enjoyed 2 tours of duty as a STH. First with a group of friends right after college in the early 90's and currently for the past 12 years. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed this run and I'm thrilled to be taking both of my kids to their (and my) first Stanley Cup Final. Go Blues!!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis born and raised, stayed in state for undergrad (where I was lucky enough to play 4 amazing years of ACHA club hockey) and then moved to Colorado to go to law school. I've been living in Colorado for 7 years now. I converted to a Broncos fan when Manning signed with the Broncos and it was clear the Rams were done in St. Louis, but the Blues will always be #1 in my heart.

I've been posting on various Blues boards for a decade or so and this one has become my favorite.

Hoping and praying that the Blues can win at least 1 in the Final. Due to work, I can't be in St. Louis until game 5 and I desperately want to see a Cup Final game in St. Louis, even if it's just a watch party for game 5 at the Enterprise Center.

Edit: I see some others have provided info about their user name. Mine is pretty simple. Brian is my first name and 39 was the number of my all-time favorite goalie (Hasek).

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why? Where does it come from? Is there a story?

It’s not a meme as far as I’m aware, it’s not strictly hockey related, and it’s not related to your name as far as I can tell.

And you’ve had it as long as I’ve known you - strong commitment - and it has become synonymous with power.
Maybe its just

The_HockeyStickMan_-_SE16.png

Reactions: EastonBlues22

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Longtime local kid. Back to when Battleship J. Bob Kelly was a blue. Enjoyed the Gassoff era. RIP. To buy seats and wonder whether or not you were behind a pillar. Great to see Blues in Stanley cup finals. Just really odd to listen to hockey and be fishing in 90 degree heat?

20+ years of ice and many years of roller playing and reffing. Awesome to see hockey takeoff after Brett Hull came here and actually see some kids be drafted from here. Win or lose....go Blues! This is.....unchartered territory. Being in the playoffs, when the real season started as Mike Keenan once said. Could've won it before making the most terrible of all time trade of Garth Butcher, Dan Quinn for Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning, 1992 5th round pick (#110 Brian Loney) GREAT team that year. Caron was little more than a double agent for giving Canadian teams cup runs. (Prove me wrong haha) One of the best teams we have had on paper this year. Highs and lows....craziest ride ever.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Longtime Blues fan. Born and raised in the 'Lou. Been a fan since Bobby Bassen ran wild. I vividly remember Hulls 86 goal campaign. CuJo fever, Demtira and Turgeon. The shame of the Pronger/Brewer deal. Busts of Merak Schwartz and EJ(couldve had Toews). To furnace face ruining Rick Nash (twice), to the STL heavy '16 draft.

This is the most calm Ive ever been about a Blues team during a season. Ive had plenty of meltdowns due to the Blues in my lifetime (Oshie trade was my latest). But, this year just feels different, I cant put my finger on it? I cant wait to see what happens and if there is a parade down Market, I will take my kids to show them a once in my lifetime event.

Let Go Blues!!!

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Why? Where does it come from? Is there a story?

It’s not a meme as far as I’m aware, it’s not strictly hockey related, and it’s not related to your name as far as I can tell.

And you’ve had it as long as I’ve known you - strong commitment - and it has become synonymous with power.
And ruin the mystique?

Fine, since everyone else is sharing.

I'm a relatively serious amateur photographer, and I've always been drawn to the visual medium, so I didn't choose my avatar lightly. I wanted something that was both captivating and technically interesting, had the right color palette, and that reflected something about me, while still leaving room for others to have their own interpretations.

I stumbled upon this portrait on Flickr way back in the day and knew instantly that it was perfect. It's cool (as in not warm), but still intimate. Her expression is focused and intense, but the emotion behind it is ambiguous and guarded. You're left reading into that expression since it will never resolve, and in that way she's a mirror. Your response to her ultimately reveals more about you than her. All of that appeals to me. The fact that her intensity appears to be focused on the words she's gazing out over on the forum (whether quoted posts or my own) due to her pose is an added plus. Online, our words are who we are.

The color palette is perfect, again for the cool overtones, but also because blue is the only color present and I root for the Blues. It doesn't smack you in the face, except for maybe her eyes, but it's undeniably there.

From a technical standpoint, this is an IR portrait, and IR photography is a medium that I happen to enjoy quite a bit as it produces some stunning images, even though it's not one that I indulge in myself (at least not yet). Also, my own personal style tends to gravitate toward vivid/saturated colors, and this image is a counterpoint that reminds me that the other side of that fence can be just as compelling. For both reasons, it's always there urging me to push my boundaries and try something new.

Apparently others find it equally compelling for their own reasons. I've had a number of inquiries about it over the years, and it won a "Best Avatar" competition on the Mod board three or four years back (head-to-head voting in a seeded bracket format), beating out Fugu's avatar in the finals. I'm guessing that had more to do with an attractive woman beating out a fish than any of the stuff I mentioned above, though. :laugh:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
And ruin the mystique?

Fine, since everyone else is sharing.

I'm a relatively serious amateur photographer, and I've always been drawn to the visual medium, so I didn't choose my avatar lightly. I wanted something that was both captivating and technically interesting, had the right color palette, and that reflected something about me, while still leaving room for others to have their own interpretations.

I stumbled upon this portrait on Flickr way back in the day and knew instantly that it was perfect. It's cool (as in not warm), but still intimate. Her expression is focused and intense, but the emotion behind it is ambiguous and guarded. You're left reading into that expression since it will never resolve, and in that way she's a mirror. Your response to her ultimately reveals more about you than her. All of that appeals to me. The fact that her intensity appears to be focused on the words she's gazing out over on the forum (whether quoted posts or my own) due to her pose is an added plus. Online, our words are who we are.

The color palette is perfect, again for the cool overtones, but also because blue is the only color present and I root for the Blues. It doesn't smack you in the face, except for maybe her eyes, but it's undeniably there.

From a technical standpoint, this is an IR portrait, and IR photography is a medium that I happen to enjoy quite a bit as it produces some stunning images, even though it's not one that I indulge in myself (at least not yet). Also, my own personal style tends to gravitate toward vivid/saturated colors, and this image is a counterpoint that reminds me that the other side of that fence can be just as compelling. For both reasons, it's always there urging me to push my boundaries and try something new.

Apparently others find it equally compelling for their own reasons. I've had a number of inquiries about it over the years, and it won a "Best Avatar" competition on the Mod board three or four years back (head-to-head voting in a seeded bracket format), beating out Fugu's avatar in the finals. I'm guessing that had more to do with an attractive woman beating out a fish than any of the stuff I mentioned above, though. :laugh:
God damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad