Roll Call 2018-19 Stanley Cup Finals Roll Call

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Late on this: a closer to death than birth Blues fan.

Born in Europe but emigrated with my family in the early 70s. Lived on the East Side and my dad taught at SIUE. Grew up through high school in the area, went to SIUE, and left for the Army. Met my wife when I delivered her a pizza in college and we hit twenty years this year. Army has taken me to Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, and back to StL for a couple years (oops, how did I forget Korea?!?!). Now reside in Northern Virginia with two daughters, an about to die dog, and a stupid cat. I will retire from the Army next year and plan to move back to the StL area once the last kids are out of the house.

My family were never Blues fans but many of my friends growing up were. We would play pond hockey on the lake behind my house or around town. Never played in any leagues and, quite frankly, was never any good. But we'd always hit a couple games a month during school (1980s) and sit in the nose bleed section, throwing things at Chicago fans, and jeering Dave Lowry in preskate. Kinda forgot about hockey after leaving for the Army but got back into it when we moved back to the StL area in the late 2000s.

Favorite in St Louis hockey memory was taking my future wife to a playoff game in 1996 against the Dead Things. She could see Gretzky, Hull, MacInnis, Pronger, Corson, McRae, MacTavish, etc. and she focused on a fight between Twist and someone (can't remember; always liked to imagine it was Probert but he was playing for the Crackhawks at the time). Twist is still her favorite player but I made a life long fan. We won't be watching the game tonight since when we both watch, the Blues get scored on and if we turn it off, the Blues score. Instead, we'll be listening to Kerber, Vitale, and Kelly tonight on the radio while building a 2000 piece Enterprise Center ice puzzle.

Most unfortunate Blues moment: I would like to say me and my buds getting our asses kicked at the Chicago Stadium but the worst was when we were visiting family in Toronto in November 2000. I had just gotten married and was about to leave for Armor Officer Basic Course so we went with my parents. We went to a game in Toronto against the Blues (my uncle had season tickets) and after the second period, with TOR up 5-0, I had had enough and said let's leave. We left and headed back to Burlington and, when we got home and turned on the TV, we saw the final score. Didn't realize how momentous it was at the time but kills me now.

Oh, my avatar is because I lost a bet. I forget what the bet was but whoever lost had to wear an "I love Andy Murray" T-shirt to the game. Decided to add the bag and my wife played along with the "I'm with stupid" T-shirt.
Just make sure you identify your targets properly and point the turret accordingly.

Thank you.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I guess I should throw my name in the intro pile.

My name is John and I'm a full bred St. Louisan. Although hockey is my absolute passion, I became a highly competitive high school rower between 2011 - 2014. That led me to go to school in Vancouver B.C. at the University of British Columbia as I have Canadian relatives and wished to join their rowing program. That dream fizzled out as soon as they wanted olympic test scores for a walk on, but I still enjoy the sport as I coach it back in home in St. Lou for the same team I was once a part of.

Haven't really been on this Earth for a long time, so that's all I got. Still trying to solidify my career, so that's taken a lot of my time away from my hobby of prospect evaluation (pssst, if anyone is hiring for an entry level data analyst in the St. Louis area, let me know). I love all things prospects and all things draft related. It's been something I fiddle around with ever since 2012. Other than that, all I can say is that it's nice to see so many returning faces!

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Been a Blues fan for nearly three decades as I nearly approach my fourth decade of life. Got to witness several key playoff loses to the Wings in person in the 90s and I have been fairly jaded ever since. I've pretty much hung in there every year to watch for better or worse with little to no expectation of winning the whole thing.

After missing the playoffs last year my hope quite possibly hit an all time low, followed by a huge 180 after the July 1st free agent signings and the ROR for jackshit trade. This of course was followed by another 180 after the first half or so of the season, which then 180'd again to where we are now.

For the first time in a real long time I do believe this team can win the Cup. Not just because we've come this far, but since that game 5 turn around against Winnipeg I really got the feeling this team is special. Of course that disappeared again for a bit after we lost games 4 and 5 to Dallas, but that's how it goes. Any way, f*** Boston.

Houli

Mar 10, 2012
Montana
Hey Team! Long time lurker / rare poster here!

My name is Andrew (38), living in Montana, but my teammates call me Houli.

I was born and raised in STL. I unexplicably became a Blues fan with my brothers and cousin Kev. We'd play in the driveway for hours on end and loved it. My uncle gifted me a left handed hockey stick (I'm right handed) but I shoot left to this day. One of my first jobs was a roller hockey ref at 'The Rink' (Manchester Rd. near Clarkson) in the late 90's. The building is now listed on Google maps as 'Bullpen Brothers'. Oh, and I was a highschooler for the double OT Yzerman goal ... And I am still scarred to this day, and hate the wings in conference or not!

Went off to grad school in Michigan (UM) where I lived for 4 years. (Dark years, I didn't have time to play hockey and up to that point the blues made the playoffs every year of my life...)

Post grad school, my wife and I took a leap and moved to Portland, Or. In 2007. NHL gamecenter was great because oddly enough that area has NO blackout restrictions! (Soon to change with Seattle expansion I'm sure). Played roller hockey there and made some great friends!

But now I live in Montana (moved here 4 years ago for work - Architect). Billings doesn't even have a roller hockey rink so I instantly converted to ice. That first year was weird, the hands and head were waaay ahead of my feet. I was rated pretty low at the rate skate, but by the end of the season, my feet caught up and I ended up being quite the sleeper pick . I love ice hockey now and wouldn't go back! I recently met 2 other die hard blues fans just this year here in Billings - I'll have to let them know about this place!

Anyway, thanks for being a part of my life! One of my favorite things to do if I miss a game is read the game day thread to get a "feel" for how the game went!

I can't wait to add this next chapter to my hockey biography!

Let's go Blues!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's a holiday weekend, but I'm still going to start summoning people a few at a time.

@Robb_K
@Majorityof1
@Lord Helix

Majorityof1 reporting for duty sir!! :D

Wow, seriously honored to be mentioned by Easton with Robb and Helix. Fine company to be in. Most likely, Easton is playing the old sesame street game, one of these is not like the other.

Anyway, Majorityof1 checking in, or Trevor off line. My brief story: I was born in StL, but moved to Indiana in elementary school. We went back to visit aunts/uncles/cousins though, so I knew the city. I currently split time between Indiana (family) and Florida (weather). I picked up hockey later, in high school, through EA video games. A buddy of mine was a big hockey fan and I needed to pick a team to play against his Devils. There was no team where I lived, so I picked the Blues. Had I known then what I knew 6 months ago, I would have told my younger self to pick any other team and save 20+ years of heart ache...With what I know now, well, that heartache might make what's to come much more sweet so let's wait and see.

Anyway, I loved the video game, and learned the rules (kind of), so I started watching the actual game (where I had to relearn the actual rules). Then I learned to roller blade and then skate (again, kind of but this time I have yet to learn it properly). I started to play in pick-up games and beer leagues. I went to grad school at Wash U, so I was able to go to Blues games and watch a ton of Blues and that solidified them as my favorite. I joined this board to talk about the Miller trade because I really didn't like it. I needed to vent and nobody I talked to regularly was a hockey fan. This was the first board I picked. The rest, as they say is history. Or infamy depending on who is saying it I guess.

Other things about me: I'm super wordy, I like to debate stuff, I can be antagonistic, sarcastic and self-deprecating in turns. Besides hockey, I like to play pool, video games, see/read stories, and long walks on the beach...but honestly, who doesn't like that last one.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Besides hockey, I like to play pool, video games, see/read stories, and long walks on the beach...but honestly, who doesn't like that last one.

People who fail to immediately think of tropical locations when thinking of beaches.

Which may be may those type of people move around 150 miles (south) away from you.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Dad's law firm had season tickets for the first ten years of Blues hockey and Mom was from Toronto, suffice to say I've been watching this team from the beginning.

While courting Lady Sir, I was cooking dinner with the game on the radio; at some point, Backes scored and she perked right up....."They have the roman god of wine and dance playing for them? I LOVE these guys!"

I bought her a "Bacchus" Jersey which she proudly dons for the three or four games we attend every year.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There are beaches in Chicago and during winter they are not enjoyable ;)

There are beaches in the Yukon without any water access before May long weekend (some of the lakes don't open up from the winter freeze until June). I still enjoy my long walks on the beach, I'm with @Majorityof1 here. I just prefer to travel to enjoy my beaches.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There are beaches in the Yukon without any water access before May long weekend (some of the lakes don't open up from the winter freeze until June). I still enjoy my long walks on the beach, I'm with @Majorityof1 here. I just prefer to travel to enjoy my beaches.

Muncho Lake provincial park, Northern BC May 16, 2018
20180516_153620.jpg

Approximately the same location, June 1st 2018.
20180620_205746.jpg

Attachments

• 20190302_125647.jpg
    20190302_125647.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 5

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Hey blues fans. Adding to the threat. I am a longtime lurker and been a Blues fan since 1996. Have to Thank NHL96 for that one. I had to choose a team to play with and there is No logo or color more beautiful than that bluenote.

After the heartbreaks in the 2000s and the totally waisted post-Laurie years this is finally happening!

Being from the Netherlands I Will Try to squeeze in Some games during the night.

Have fun everyone and Lets hope for a Stanley Cup!

Goedenmiddag! Alles goed? Welkom tot de Blues-discussie! (Het spijt me; Mijn nederlands is niet zo goed).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad