Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread III

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Let's start with the fact that he has 1 less point in 31 less games.
ok. Gibbons was also playing on an offensively challenged team all year on the 4th line. Still don't really see him being all that useful whenever I see him play, same kind of impact as Gibbons. both meh players. neither are worth arguing over

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Whats our record without kase ? That record is way more indicative of that.
Points with Kase: 0.517
Points without Kase: 0.397

Cogs "makes a bigger difference." The dropoff is bigger with Cogs. (No it's clearly not just that).

Besides, Relying on Kase to play games and contribute just seems like folly.

It would be interesting to look at goal differential, and even the advanced stats for this.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
ok, tell me how then instead of just saying I'm being ridiculous.

If you watched tonight's game, you should now fully understand why Shore>Cogs given their contracts and ages. Against the Caps, Shore made 3-4 passes that led directly to great scoring opportunities (including one with a very nice stick handling move before feeding Lindholm). In his time in Anaheim, I can't recall Cogs making many plays like that, if any. Cogs did other things and was a good guy, but at this point I'd much rather have Shore (particularly because of contract). Cogs brings value to a veteran team that is in its window; that's not the ducks. Let the young kids play and shed the contract.

And to be clear, I have no particular attachment to shore. He's ok, but I'd move him without hesitation if there was a decent offer of a draft pick or cheaper player.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If you watched tonight's game, you should now fully understand why Shore>Cogs given their contracts and ages. Against the Caps, Shore made 3-4 passes that led directly to great scoring opportunities (including one with a very nice stick handling move before feeding Lindholm). In his time in Anaheim, I can't recall Cogs making many plays like that, if any. Cogs did other things and was a good guy, but at this point I'd much rather have Shore (particularly because of contract). Cogs brings value to a veteran team that is in its window; that's not the ducks. Let the young kids play and shed the contract.

And to be clear, I have no particular attachment to shore. He's ok, but I'd move him without hesitation if there was a decent offer of a draft pick or cheaper player.
Cogs was constantly dogged for not converting on his many chances. Hmm.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

I never said anything about shore and cogs. I was talking about shore and gibbons. Still don’t really care for shore and find him as useful as gibbons was. Would hardly notice if we stopped playing shore.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I never said anything about shore and cogs. I was talking about shore and gibbons. Still don’t really care for shore and find him as useful as gibbons was. Would hardly notice if we stopped playing shore.

The gap between shore and Gibbons is bigger than shore and cogs...

Shores stick handling/shot/driving the net/defense is miles ahead of Gibbons.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Cogs was constantly dogged for not converting on his many chances. Hmm.

Justifiably - cogs is an awful finisher/shooter. The chances I was referring to were Shore's passes that led to finishing chances for other players (who didn't finish). This was the offensive creativity that Shore brings - not elite but definitely an upgrade.

The gap between shore and Gibbons is bigger than shore and cogs...

Shores stick handling/shot/driving the net/defense is miles ahead of Gibbons.

And ahead of Cogs as well with the possible exception of shutdown line defense.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Shore and Cogliano are essentially the same person as far as setting things up. They both hover right above or right below 20 assists per season. I’m not sure how fair it is to judge Cogliano’s setup
Ability when he’s been stapled to the ghost of Kesler past for the last 2 seasons.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hmmm. Not sure what that's all about. Nobody will claim him with that contract and not having played the last 1 2/3 years. Yeah, they could send him down but still don't see the point.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Well, yeah, I did say that. But I didn't know we had a shortage of roster spots for so many call ups. Bob had just previously said he wanted to be careful and not upset the success in SD as well as expressing concern to not expose the young players to any bad environment (my paraphrase) in ANA.

Pretty much a non event but I was still surprised.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Justifiably - cogs is an awful finisher/shooter. The chances I was referring to were Shore's passes that led to finishing chances for other players (who didn't finish). This was the offensive creativity that Shore brings - not elite but definitely an upgrade.
Point being that Cogs created plenty of chances, which in his case, was treated as a negative. Shore is benefiting from the holy trinity of HF talking points: relative youth, relative cost, and the appearance of skill, specifically playmaking (aka danglez). Does he ACTUALLY bring more in terms of results, either offensive or defensive? No. But that's the narrative because HF values youth and cap space above all, with highlight reels a close third. Maybe he'll bring more going forward...maybe. But we're not in the future yet.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Man people are getting fixated on this trade way more than they should be. Cogs is a fan favourite I get it but he was awful this year, does anyone actually believe our team is that much different with either or? Shore has been playing well with us while being cheaper and 7 years younger...what’s the problem?

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Man people are getting fixated on this trade way more than they should be. Cogs is a fan favourite I get it but he was awful this year, does anyone actually believe our team is that much different with either or? Shore has been playing well with us while being cheaper and 7 years younger...what’s the problem?

They want to blame Kesler and not Cogliano. They also talk about Kesler like he's the slowest guy in the league, even though he skates just as fast as almost every one else on this team.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad