Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread III

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Point being that Cogs created plenty of chances, which in his case, was treated as a negative. Shore is benefiting from the holy trinity of HF talking points: relative youth, relative cost, and the appearance of skill, specifically playmaking (aka danglez). Does he ACTUALLY bring more in terms of results, either offensive or defensive? No. But that's the narrative because HF values youth and cap space above all, with highlight reels a close third. Maybe he'll bring more going forward...maybe. But we're not in the future yet.

Thats not true. Cogs was a great duck but successful teams need to have players up and down the line up that can create space for themselves and move the puck. Cogs is great only when our team didn't have possession and the way our star players are overpaid at this point in their careers our bottom six has to be able to help carry the play.

Shore can at least carry the puck into the offensive zone with speed.

Reactions: Trojans86
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Thats not true. Cogs was a great duck but successful teams need to have players up and down the line up that can create space for themselves and move the puck. Cogs is great only when our team didn't have possession and the way our star players are overpaid at this point in their careers our bottom six has to be able to help carry the play.

Shore can at least carry the puck into the offensive zone with speed.
This is just an agglomeration of cliches and buzz words.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
This is how I see it with Shore vs. Cogs.
  • We lose some top end speed with Shore, but he does have decent speed once he gets some space. He surprised me a few times with how fast he was going with the puck.
  • We lose some quick stick work from Cogs, especially on the PK. But I feel we have enough PKers to cover Cogs' loss and spread out the responsibility.
  • We lose a PK breakaway with Cogs every couple of games, but in the end, that doesn't mean much since he rarely converted.
  • We gain better puck control and puck protection with Shore. He seems to use his body a bit better to protect the puck, and his hands seem a bit better than Cogs'.
  • Defensively, I see us a bit weaker, but offensively, equally a bit stronger. Shore seems to create more offensive chances for us. His vision seems a bit better, at least from what I've seen.
  • Intangibles: no clue about Shore in the locker room, but I'm sure Cogs was loved. We also know Cogs' dedication to fitness and work ethic. Without knowing Shore, I definitely give an edge to Cogs.
  • Contract-wise, we obviously have more control, since he's restricted. He also makes significantly less than Cogs, and he's under contract next year before we even have to worry about re-signing him. That's a huge plus.
  • Trade-wise, Shore has a bit more upside due to the immediate point above, should we find a good trade partner.
All in all, it seems either like a wash, or a bit better for us with Shore, mostly due to non-game things, lol. The contract and status give us much more flexibility and control.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Question for you Ducks fans:

Assuming Gibson is out for the rest of the season (likely?), what kind of split in goal do you see the rest of this regular season? Mostly Miller? Or Mostly Boyle? Or more of a 50/50 split?

Chad Johnson still factors in or likely to be waived?

Thanks!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They want to blame Kesler and not Cogliano. They also talk about Kesler like he's the slowest guy in the league, even though he skates just as fast as almost every one else on this team.
Until the last few games, Kesler has been atrocious. No burst, no ability to change directions, no ability to get ahead of the play. His most noticeable plays have been attempting to deliver cheap shot hits after the puck is well gone, and not even being able to do that well (which you’re probably not seeing if you’re not at the games, because it’s usually happened with the puck at least a zone away). It’s been pretty pathetic to watch. Cycles die offensively on his stick, or because he can’t get to where he needs to be on the ice to maintain them. He can still play defense, but he’s a black hole on offense.

Cogliano was more inept than usual to be sure, but Kesler being far worse is actually a real thing.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Assuming Gibson is out for the rest of the season (likely?), what kind of split in goal do you see the rest of this regular season? Mostly Miller? Or Mostly Boyle? Or more of a 50/50 split?

Thanks!

there's nothing been suggested that Gibson is out long term, but if so, it should change Murray's mindset about the team. I imagine Bob wants Boyle to go back to SD for their playoff run.

I guess to answer your question: If Gibson is out long term, I seriously doubt Johnson goes anywhere (waivers or trade).

Reactions: Ducks DVM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Until the last few games, Kesler has been atrocious. No burst, no ability to change directions, no ability to get ahead of the play. His most noticeable plays have been attempting to deliver cheap shot hits after the puck is well gone, and not even being able to do that well (which you’re probably not seeing if you’re not at the games, because it’s usually happened with the puck at least a zone away). It’s been pretty pathetic to watch. Cycles die offensively on his stick, or because he can’t get to where he needs to be on the ice to maintain them. He can still play defense, but he’s a black hole on offense.

Cogliano was more inept than usual to be sure, but Kesler being far worse is actually a real thing.

Yeah. Kesler's speed at full acceleration in a single direction is ... fine. Not great, but fine. His problem this year has been with changing directions and first steps. He's been unimaginably slow in both of them, which is why he's never in good position on offense and almost immediately loses the puck when he gets it.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
How has Terry looked, the last 2 games I watched were when Jones played but been so damn busy havent seen last 3. Jones was looking good in the games I saw.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Thanks!
We need Chad as our Tank goalie for when/if we trade Miller at some point.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Terry and Jones played with a ton of speed and created several chances against Calgary. Could very easily had 2 goals on that line. Terry seems stronger on the puck and more poised than last time around. Going to be a good one.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I have really liked Terry the last few games. Using his body to shield the puck better, anticipating the pressure. He isn’t the turnover machine he used to be.

Like all our forwards, he just needs to hit the corners sometimes on all the shots he creates

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
In a year with increased Offense Anaheim cannot score at all. There are going to be alot of PPG players and several 100 point scorers...we might have 1 50 point player... we're getting left behind the rest of the league

And then for some reason guys that are capable of putting points on the board (Aberg/Sprong) end up getting scratched.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
And then for some reason guys that are capable of putting points on the board (Aberg/Sprong) end up getting scratched.

Sprong is playing at a 37 pace (31 point if you include his Pens games), Aberg was playing at a 42 point pace in his time here. Those guys are what we are full of - 35 to 45 point guys. The difference is neither is good without the puck which is likely why they were/are being scratched.

Personally I wouldn’t still be sitting Sprong but it’s not like Murray is sitting a major offensive force.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sprong is like the Mike Napoli of Hockey Players, an very powerful shot/swing & gets scratched despite playing better than most of his team. That time he hit a Grand Slam & then benched the next game in favor of Jeff Mathis.....

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Sprong is playing at a 37 pace (31 point if you include his Pens games), Aberg was playing at a 42 point pace in his time here. Those guys are what we are full of - 35 to 45 point guys. The difference is neither is good without the puck which is likely why they were/are being scratched.

Personally I wouldn’t still be sitting Sprong but it’s not like Murray is sitting a major offensive force.

Sprong is a shoot 1st, 2nd, and 3rd type of player with the shooting ability to justify that play style. I'll agree that Aberg is a middle six winger (although he was putting up points when few others were), but Sprong is unique on this team and there's no reason to scratch him right now.

Edit:

Furthermore, our leading point producer (Getz) is on like a 60 point pace. This team is offensively inept.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Sprong is like the Mike Napoli of Hockey Players, an very powerful shot/swing & gets scratched despite playing better than most of his team. That time he hit a Grand Slam & then benched the next game in favor of Jeff Mathis.....
Let's hope he doesn't follow Napoli's career path. Scoiscia/Murray trades him away and then he comes back to repeatedly haunt the Angels/Ducks.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
In a year with increased Offense Anaheim cannot score at all. There are going to be alot of PPG players and several 100 point scorers...we might have 1 50 point player... we're getting left behind the rest of the league
I think it's becoming more and more doubtful that we'll even have 1 guy reach 50 points. Getz is injured now and no one else is even in the ballpark. It's really, really bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad