2018-19 Roster talk; Part four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
You'd be replacing Laughton with Laughton
Or worse. Boyd Gordon, Kent Manderville, Adam Hall, VdV, Lubyimov, etc. etc.
Old Matt Read yes, young Matt Read no. Raffl and PEB may be the only two recent guys that Laughton, if slotted correctly, isn't just head and shoulders above. He's in house, why let him go/trade him, only to need to find his replacement from the trash bin?

Reactions: The Madrigal

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Or worse. Boyd Gordon, Kent Manderville, Adam Hall, VdV, Lubyimov, etc. etc.
Old Matt Read yes, young Matt Read no. Raffl and PEB may be the only two recent guys that Laughton, if slotted correctly, isn't just head and shoulders above. He's in house, why let him go/trade him, only to need to find his replacement from the trash bin?
Agreed, it's silly. The Flyers 3rd and 4th lines haven't been good enough the last couple of years. Laughton gives you a young guy who can get 20-30 points, kill penalties, play physical, and play multiple forward positions in the bottom 6. He also does so on a cheap contract. Getting rid of him doesn't make a lot of sense other than satisfying the "let's make a move just to make a move" crowd.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Agreed, it's silly. The Flyers 3rd and 4th lines haven't been good enough the last couple of years. Laughton gives you a young guy who can get 20-30 points, kill penalties, play physical, and play multiple forward positions in the bottom 6. He also does so on a cheap contract. Getting rid of him doesn't make a lot of sense other than satisfying the "let's make a move just to make a move" crowd.
Once again, we agree 100%.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

You were more fun in the beginning with all the ridiculous threads

Reactions: Rebels57

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I would say re-sign Laughton to what Raffl got in his last contract 2x 2,350,000.
Both are bottom-6 player, both can move up in the lineup but not for an extended period. Laughton is still young and if he can find another gear in his game, he will get paid in a couple of years.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People are finally coming around on Laughton. :nod:

He’s fast, he’s not lazy bum like Patrick who the coaches said hates the fans and doesn’t ever try, he can shoot, not a detriment defensively... he’s no star but he’s the kind of guy you want on your 4th line.

If next year our 3rd line has guys like Frost on it and Laughton is bumped to the 4th line, it’d make both lines better and we’d finally have some better depth behind our stars.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laughton is still young and if he can find another gear in his game, he will get paid in a couple of years.

People are finally coming around on Laughton. :nod:

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Sorry, boys. But I'm sooo f***ing sick of the Laughton propaganda. He's a solid 4th line LW. Unfortunately, he has no hockey sense, no hands, no vision, and a non-existent upward trajectory.

He's fine for what he is. Just because he's better than the bottom 6 slop we've been fed lately, doesn't make him an asset with much value. He's pretty easily replaceable. A fine 4th line LW that you can play at center if you're desperate.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Scott Laughton is a solid NHL 4th line winger, a mediocre NHL 3rd line winger and below average NHL center. Hopefully, he ends up better than Raffl and adds some finish to his game. When Raffl or Laughton is in your top 9 than there has been injuries hopefully. If it's due to normal slotting than the team has forward depth issues. Hopefully, Laughton's PK game improves through the years. Putting them in trade talks is pointless. They will not bring much back.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sorry, boys. But I'm sooo ****ing sick of the Laughton propaganda. He's a solid 4th line LW. Unfortunately, he has no hockey sense, no hands, no vision, and a non-existent upward trajectory.

He's fine for what he is. Just because he's better than the bottom 6 slop we've been fed lately, doesn't make him an asset with much value. He's pretty easily replaceable. A fine 4th line LW that you can play at center if you're desperate.

I have been thinking the exact same thing, Stiz.

Reactions: Stizzle

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I'm happy with Laughts on the 4th line.

I wonder if because he's a former 1st round pick and once upon a time was one of our best prospects (bare cupboard courtesy of Homer) that people are mad he never amounted to a better player?

Anger/frustration clouds the ability to see any positives.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry, boys. But I'm sooo ****ing sick of the Laughton propaganda. He's a solid 4th line LW. Unfortunately, he has no hockey sense, no hands, no vision, and a non-existent upward trajectory.

I have been thinking the exact same thing, Stiz.

If that's how you guys feel then I have some bad news about Vorobyev for you ;)

Reactions: baudib1

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If that's how you guys feel then I have some bad news about Vorobyev for you ;)

Nah, he has some actual upside (though I don't want to exaggerate how high that upside is). I wouldn't be in a hurry to move Laughts out or anything, and might not move him out at all - I just think he is very limited, which has been the book on him since before he was drafted. It's similar in a way to Raffl, who does more than some think he does (i.e. he's underrated by some), but ultimately I think we can put someone in there who can do what he does and has some actual offense to their game. Who that is will have to wait until the prospects start to separate from each other, which might not happen until they get to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad