2018-19 Roster talk; Part four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm happy with Laughts on the 4th line.

I wonder if because he's a former 1st round pick and once upon a time was one of our best prospects (bare cupboard courtesy of Homer) that people are mad he never amounted to a better player?

Anger/frustration clouds the ability to see any positives.

Nah, I don't think anyone has had crazy expectations for him, and I don't think anyone is "mad" lol - his draft profile (immediately before and/or after the draft, can't remember exactly which) basically said that he was no more than a 3C. I'm not joking about that a la Couts, that's what they said.

Reactions: Stizzle

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Nah, he has some actual upside (though I don't want to exaggerate how high that upside is). I wouldn't be in a hurry to move Laughts out or anything, and might not move him out at all - I just think he is very limited, which has been the book on him since before he was drafted. It's similar in a way to Raffl, who does more than some think he does (i.e. he's underrated by some), but ultimately I think we can put someone in there who can do what he does and has some actual offense to their game. Who that is will have to wait until the prospects start to separate from each other, which might not happen until they get to the NHL.
He has just as much defensive value as Raffl on the wing, and scores at a higher pace than him. Higher pace than Simmonds at evens too, though not exactly the bar we are looking for. I think his scoring has always been a little underrated due to either deployment or ice time. He has been good at putting up points in his time. Overall, he is just a solid bottom 6 forward. Nothing to get too worked up over, but it is nice he is playing well. One way I like to look at it is that he is more valuable on the Flyers than he is to the rest of the league. I would prefer they resign him over Raffl

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nah, he has some actual upside (though I don't want to exaggerate how high that upside is). I wouldn't be in a hurry to move Laughts out or anything, and might not move him out at all - I just think he is very limited, which has been the book on him since before he was drafted. It's similar in a way to Raffl, who does more than some think he does (i.e. he's underrated by some), but ultimately I think we can put someone in there who can do what he does and has some actual offense to their game. Who that is will have to wait until the prospects start to separate from each other, which might not happen until they get to the NHL.

He's done pretty well offensively over the last two years, especially considering who he's spent most of his time on a line with.

Not many players, regardless of their status as a prospect, would be doing much when your most common linemates are Raffl, Lehtera, Leier, Simmonds, etc...

8c079050c6fee247a806ce23767ec1ea.png

Even then, he had 10 goals last year and is pacing for 10 this year, just off of his skating and shot. He's pretty much exactly what people are always saying they want on the 4th line.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In all seriousness, in a limited role Laughton shouldn’t be worth getting worked up about but he’s so nondescript it annoys me.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Nah, I don't think anyone has had crazy expectations for him, and I don't think anyone is "mad" lol - his draft profile (immediately before and/or after the draft, can't remember exactly which) basically said that he was no more than a 3C. I'm not joking about that a la Couts, that's what they said.

Mad was probably a poor choice of words. To a point, a projected 3C who ended up at this stage a 4th line wing, still carries a certain "miss" vs a "hit" to some perhaps?

I get your point though, I don't think anyone carries actual dislike for him (a la Jake). More of a "meh" reaction.

I'm still in the "happy with him" camp.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Some of the old breed of enforcers like Shelley, and Krzysztof Oliwa (who I recall Don Cherry raving about in a Coach's Corner when he was showing his warm ups with the puck), actually had pretty underrated hands. Oliwa was a high scorer in juniors. A lack of any point production, had to do with their role and limited TOI for one thing obviously, but also their size and skating more so than a lack of hands or finishing ability around the net.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Waive & demote McKenna. Keep Elliott (and Neuvirth lol) on IR till the trade deadline. Then as soon as tomorrow at noon you can have Knight and Morin on the roster, either doing a conditioning stint in the AHL, or available to play for the Flyers.

13 F + 8 D + 2 G = 23 man roster

Giroux
Voracek
JVR
Couturier
Simmonds
Raffl
Laughton
Patrick
Lindblom
Konency
Vorobyev
Varone
Knight

MacDonald
Ghost
Gudas
Hagg
Provorov
Sanheim
Folin
Morin

Hart
Stolarz

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
im turning a corner here, now im thinking about they should play o'brien, frost, fabree ,rubstov next year and in fa add or trade for two defensemen
my lines: jvr, giroux, tk
frost, courturier, jake
obrien, patrick, lindblom
fabree, laughton, rubstov

provy, sanheim
ghost, tyler myers, or trade
morin, bouwmeester, or trade

hart,
fa

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
im turning a corner here, now im thinking about they should play o'brien, frost, fabree ,rubstov next year and in fa add or trade for two defensemen
my lines: jvr, giroux, tk
frost, courturier, jake
obrien, patrick, lindblom
fabree, laughton, rubstov

provy, sanheim
ghost, tyler myers, or trade
morin, bouwmeester, or trade

hart,
fa
Ho boy... this is a doozy.

-O’Brien isn’t ready
-Farabee isn’t a lock to make the team
-Rubtsov will be in the AHL
-Frost is far more likely to be 3C than Laughton
-Lindblom is a LW
-we don’t need two defensemen
-that’s the wrong Myers
-did Gudas die?
-we don’t need to sign a 35 year old FA defensemen, especially one who plays on the left

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Some of the old breed of enforcers like Shelley, and Krzysztof Oliwa (who I recall Don Cherry raving about in a Coach's Corner when he was showing his warm ups with the puck), actually had pretty underrated hands. Oliwa was a high scorer in juniors. A lack of any point production, had to do with their role and limited TOI for one thing obviously, but also their size and skating more so than a lack of hands or finishing ability around the net.
I was just making the point that everyone in the NHL is capable of making a pretty play, so when someone refers to a player as having poor hands it’s a relative comment. You can find a highlight reel goal from almost anyone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We may refer to players as trash, but the full implied statement is "That player is trash (at the NHL level of hockey)."

The gooniest goon or Rinaldiest Rinaldo is still in the 99.99th percentile of hockey players.

Reactions: Felipe88

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
We may refer to players as trash, but the full implied statement is "That player is trash (at the NHL level of hockey)."

The gooniest goon or Rinaldiest Rinaldo is still in the 99.99th percentile of hockey players.

I would love to see a charity 3 v 3 tournament of Deadhead, Ghosts Beer and Dave Hakstok down the middle vs Striiker Beef Invictus and Coach Q.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Ho boy... this is a doozy.

-O’Brien isn’t ready
-Farabee isn’t a lock to make the team
-Rubtsov will be in the AHL
-Frost is far more likely to be 3C than Laughton
-Lindblom is a LW
-we don’t need two defensemen
-that’s the wrong Myers
-did Gudas die?
-we don’t need to sign a 35 year old FA defensemen, especially one who plays on the left

so you want to throw hart in front in front of defense with inexperienced players?, that's a very bad idea for his development especially the way they are playing right now, it's not going to help him next year.

as regards to the fowards if we dont get any fa forwards, i think this is what fletch is probably going to go with because i dont see anyone that's better than what we have

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Jay Bouwmeester isn’t helping Carter Hart out. He’s terrible & Myers is pretty mediocre.

We need legitimate upgrades not guys who go backwards or hold steady on what we already have.

^This. Most "veteran defensemen" options are like this. Dump Hagg. Play Myers/Morin. No money/assets for mediocrity.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
^This. Most "veteran defensemen" options are like this. Dump Hagg. Play Myers/Morin. No money/assets for mediocrity.

I’m not against adding an established top four defender but it’s got to be a legit one. Obviously that’s easier said than done. But I want no parts of guys like that when already have guys like MacDonald & Hagg here & Phil Myers still in the minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->