2018-19 Roster talk; Part four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's amazing how dead set on trading Ghost and Jake some people are.

Wanting them gone is literally the starting point and then they're just trying to pull a name out of their ass to receive in return. There's zero logical reason to trade them, but they just to get rid of them.

:laugh: There will always be a part of this fanbase who don't appreciate their stars and constantly want to find different ones. The grass is always greener. The same kind of people who would have traded Giroux for Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Keep Ghost and V people. Ghost is young, highly skilled and on a killer contract. Jake has been outstanding too.

We have so many options going forward to improve the team WITH them. Between our prospects, Simmers return and cap space in FA we are going to be in great shape.

Reactions: Striiker

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Let's just drop the specific names and hypothesize trading a top level experienced wing, a veteran quality defenseman and a very good prospect for an all star defenseman and the signing of a major FA forward in order to protect the core of very good young Flyer defenders.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It's amazing how dead set on trading Ghost and Jake some people are.

Wanting them gone is literally the starting point and then they're just trying to pull a name out of their ass to receive in return. There's zero logical reason to trade them, but they just to get rid of them.

:laugh: There will always be a part of this fanbase who don't appreciate their stars and constantly want to find different ones. The grass is always greener. The same kind of people who would have traded Giroux for Galchenyuk.
I’m not dead set on jake being moved. I would simply prefer it. I’d have no problem if he finished his contract out here, and then either getting another contract or being traded based off of his performance at that time.
Jake irks me with his play. He’s a damn good player but he doesn’t always show it. I swear I’m going to hypothetically gouge my eyes out the next time he no look passes directly onto the wrong teams stick.
Simmonds is a valuable asset that we can get a good return from but Jake I think is our best expendable asset.
The last line was uncalled for lol.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m not dead set on jake being moved. I would simply prefer it. I’d have no problem if he finished his contract out here, and then either getting another contract or being traded based off of his performance at that time.
Jake irks me with his play. He’s a damn good player but he doesn’t always show it. I swear I’m going to hypothetically gouge my eyes out the next time he no look passes directly onto the wrong teams stick.
Simmonds is a valuable asset that we can get a good return from but Jake I think is our best expendable asset.
The last line was uncalled for lol.
You're not one of the type of people I'm referring to with that post.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I'm interested if anyone thinks Flyers could benefit from taking a shot at any of the following Leafs, to reduce their cap squeeze. We can expect Leafs to retain salary in some cases, and only want non-roster players or picks in return.

In order of how likely the Leafs might be willing to swing something

Zaitsev D? Yikes, 5 x $4.5M. That's a long term, but Zaitsev is an ok fit with an offensively minded partner. Out of all the Leafs, I think he's the one most likely to be used to generate cap relief, and Flyers might have a situation that can actually make use of him.
Zach Hyman, LW, 2 x $2.25 then UFA. He's done a great job in Top6 roles as the mucker, not much of a play generator on his own.
Kapanen or Johhnson - RFAs right now, and mayce could be pried away for the right pieces? Leafs haven't decided what to pay them yet, but every $ will be hard fought. Maybe a Gudas + offer would generate interest, although Radko also makes enough to make it tough for Leafs cap. Or Hagg +++?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t want Ghost traded. He hasn’t had a great year after last year where he blew up.
Hes going to be fine. He is 25. When he gets his mojo back look out.
Amazing, isn't it?

Year 1: Great year = "HE'S AMAZING"
Year 2: Bad year (injured) = "TRADE HIM"
Year 3: Great year = "HE'S AMAZING"
Year 4: Bad year (PP is broken and playing with trash partners) = "TRADE HIM"

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Zaitsev D? Yikes, 5 x $4.5M. That's a long term, but Zaitsev is an ok fit with an offensively minded partner. Out of all the Leafs, I think he's the one most likely to be used to generate cap relief, and Flyers might have a situation that can actually make use of him.

At absolute best, Zaitsev is carryable on a sheltered 3rd pair. You don't want him for free on that contract.

I wouldn't trade MacDonald straight up for him and I'm not joking.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm interested if anyone thinks Flyers could benefit from taking a shot at any of the following Leafs, to reduce their cap squeeze. We can expect Leafs to retain salary in some cases, and only want non-roster players or picks in return.

In order of how likely the Leafs might be willing to swing something

Zach Hyman, LW, 2 x $2.25 then UFA. He's done a great job in Top6 roles as the mucker, not much of a play generator on his own.
Kapanen or Johhnson - RFAs right now, and mayce could be pried away for the right pieces? Leafs haven't decided what to pay them yet, but every $ will be hard fought. Maybe a Gudas + offer would generate interest, although Radko also makes enough to make it tough for Leafs cap. Or Hagg +++?

I can't think of what would be a suitable sweetener for taking Zaitsev's contract. Probably because I want to see the Leafs sink under the weight of their cap. Not even their 1st (2020) would be enough. With Kapanen for a nominal return? Maybe.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Are there any decent top 4 defenders who seem set to hit Free Agency this offseason? Besides EK, I’m just curious as to who the consolation prizes will be, and who the next tier down will be.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I
I can't think of what would be a suitable sweetener for taking Zaitsev's contract. Probably because I want to see the Leafs sink under the weight of their cap. Not even their 1st (2020) would be enough. With Kapanen for a nominal return? Maybe.

I would do Kapanan + Zaitsev for Macdonald, Hagg and Provisional 1st 2020 (lottery protected turns into 2 -2nds)

Leafs get 1st and Hagg for Kapanan plus they can buy out Macdonald... Flyers get a great top 6/9 young player and Zaitev becomes new Macdonald but he's better and Russian lol. Plus we get rid of Hagg that makes room for Morin/Myers

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Stralman from TB?
Yeah i just looked through. Honestly the only one who sort of interests me as a “true veteran” to maybe provide a little experience on the back end is Edler, but who’s knows if he resigns w Van and if not what his price would be. The rest all seemed fairly meh.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Are there any decent top 4 defenders who seem set to hit Free Agency this offseason? Besides EK, I’m just curious as to who the consolation prizes will be, and who the next tier down will be.

Myers, Stralman, Chara, JayBo, Gardner off the top of my head. None that I really want. Chara would be cool in a leadership role but I'm sure he's a Bruin until he retires.

Anybody remember when Chara (as a Sen) raggdolled McCabe (as a Leaf). McCabe thought he was tough shit and Chara whipped him around and I'm sure he just about shit his pants :laugh:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Yup.... I get that. All I'm saying is if he said, don't trade me, don't trade me, don't trade me, knowing full well that he was going to TOR the whole time, it's kind of a ******** move. He played what, 8 season?? with NYI, as their premier superstar. I'm sure he was treated very well there. If he gave them the idea that he might stick around knowing he was going to go to TOR, it shows a lack of character imo.

Now, I don't fully believe that he did that. I actually would doubt it he did. All I'm saying is that if that did happen, he's kind of a dick.
Yeah that’s all I was saying, I remember reading somewhere that he begged the Isles not to trade him, which could be all speculation and I believe all UFA’s have the right to go wherever they want to, I think The Isles were holding out hope that he was going to stay, but IMO JT knew the whole time he was going to sign with the Leafs which is why I call him a rat because he should have just met with the Leafs and got it done instead of f***ing around with the rest of the teams

Reactions: VladDrag

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Myers, Stralman, Chara, JayBo, Gardner off the top of my head. None that I really want. Chara would be cool in a leadership role but I'm sure he's a Bruin until he retires.

Anybody remember when Chara (as a Sen) raggdolled McCabe (as a Leaf). McCabe thought he was tough **** and Chara whipped him around and I'm sure he just about **** his pants :laugh:
I remember when Chara was an Islander and Lindros pushed him around

Reactions: Peacekeeper

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Amazing, isn't it?

Year 1: Great year = "HE'S AMAZING"
Year 2: Bad year (injured) = "TRADE HIM"
Year 3: Great year = "HE'S AMAZING"
Year 4: Bad year (PP is broken and playing with trash partners) = "TRADE HIM"
It’s bizarre. We’ve seen the peak—which is definitely year three. We’ve seen what he can do post injury and his acceleration being clearly hampered. I still cannot understand how they can’t make systematic tweaks to utilize his strengths. It is also unbelievable that provy ghost went from where they were last year to whatever the hell this years mess is. I’m hoping there is a return to the mean for ghost at least, provy I hope is purely a post-op/confidence thing. Otherwise our vaunted defense of the future is more of a question mark than we had hoped.

Reactions: renberg

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa

Anybody remember when Chara (as a Sen) raggdolled McCabe (as a Leaf). McCabe thought he was tough **** and Chara whipped him around and I'm sure he just about **** his pants :laugh:
Yeah i feel like in a perfect world our D gets rounded out w better vet presence than Gudas and AMac (not that i mind gudas in the slightest, but a more traditional top 4 guy in the mix would be nice). Someone like Edler would be awesome depending on how bad that injury of his ends up being.

But outside of him none of those UFAs interest me at all compared to just running w the young guys. Maybe some players become available in a trade that makes more sense.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Yeah i feel like in a perfect world our D gets rounded out w better vet presence than Gudas and AMac (not that i mind gudas in the slightest, but a more traditional top 4 guy in the mix would be nice). Someone like Edler would be awesome depending on how bad that injury of his ends up being.

But outside of him none of those UFAs interest me at all compared to just running w the young guys. Maybe some players become available in a trade that makes more sense.

Forgot about Edler. I remember hearing Van was going to resign him but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad