Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Only thing I'm concerned about is what to do with Thornton when he comes back. This team is basically in a post-Thornton era now and has a lineup that works with what they got. Jumbo isn't a plug and play guy right now and I don't know if they're willing to work him in in a way that complements the lines we have. I really just need them to split the Joes from here on out before im satisfied.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hey Burns, I know you won the Norris in 2016-17. But its 2018 now. You have got so bad that you are now going to play as a forward.

"You see that Karlsson guy over there? He's better than you. By, like, a lot apparently. No, I know you think it's closer than people suspect, but I'm assured that's incorrect and the gulf is massive and insurmountable. So we just can't have you on the blueline anymore because you really can't live up to that standard. What's that? No, I wasn't talking about Melker. The other Karlsson. Though really, Melker might be better too. I'm not sure. I'd have to check on that."

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I’m not really interested in going after a forward unless it’s Nylander.

Agreed on what Jux said — our forwards are performing quite well, if we’re trying to trade for a forward it’s gotta be a game breaker... Nylander, Panarin, etc.

I fundamentally disagree with this view of Hockey. IMO it’s all a balancing act between xGF/60, xGA/60 and cap hit. I think there is a lot to be said for incremental improvements. Big pieces, the Tavares and Karlssons are nice - but series are won through complete team depth. The difference between a win or a loss is usually a single goal. You gotta find a way to eek out that point on whatever line you can find it. Look at what Eric Fehr did for us last season. I will take any improvement we can find.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I fundamentally disagree with this view of Hockey. IMO it’s all a balancing act between xGF/60, xGA/60 and cap hit. I think there is a lot to be said for incremental improvements. Big pieces, the Tavares and Karlssons are nice - but series are won through complete team depth. The difference between a win or a loss is usually a single goal. You gotta find a way to eek out that point on whatever line you can find it. Look at what Eric Fehr did for us last season. I will take any improvement we can find.

Sorry, there is no replacement for superstars coming up big. Look at Washington; they had putrid xGF, Corsi, etc., but they had Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Holtby, Carlson, and Backstrom carrying them when it mattered. 3 superstars and 2 stars.

In general, when superstars meet superstars, those with the strong xGF% tend to win. But xGF% without superstars is just the 2017-2018 Carolina Hurricanes.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
If you think about it, the whole reason the leafs don't have $$ for Nylander is because DW let marleau walk. He made a play 2 years in advance, and it makes it seem the leafs had no clue about Tavares and how'd they keep their future.

I mean come on, DW is about to steal home base, leafs be sleeping. I don't know if they'll trade us Nylander because of the underlying reason they can't, but Christ we even have a spare experienced top 4 D-men.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It would have to be an absolute game breaking forward to trade Bruan. I know it is a waste to pay so much for the 3rd pair and not sustainable after this year, but the depth that the sharks have on D 1-6 is absolutely incredible. Dillon and Braun would be a 2nd pair on a lot of teams. There is just no weak defensive link for other teams to exploit, not to mention the insurance for one of the top 4 getting injured.

At this point I would only take Nylander or Panarin, but also not want to include any of Meier or Lebanc.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I don’t disagree with this — I’m just saying in our current team state, I don’t know if I’d trade any of our guys for an incremental change. Keep in mind, things like chemistry, etc. matter — disrupting a great room to get a marginal improvement on a great team seems risky to me.

That said - ask me again at the trade deadline. Right now, the only way I’d mess with this team is for a big fish.

(To contradict myself for a second: I’ll take Zucs for Melker sure, twist my arm. )

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I personally hope we find an alterative like Rick Nash or shoring off with an addition similar to Eric Fehr, and keeping Braun for the remainder of the year due to tenure and, well, we all saw what a deep 3rd pairing is capable of in the playoffs. A line up isn't just 4 forward lines, especially when you have 2 of the best offensive D-men on your team. I think as long as our forwards can create scoring chances off quick plays when EK/Burns is still manuevring on the ice it'll work out.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I’m not really interested in going after a forward unless it’s Nylander.

This exactly. If he's available by giving up Braun maybe Donskoi and a prospect that's not Merkely I would be just fine with that.

This team has maybe the best depth they've ever had at all positions other than center. What they actually need is a top 6 center or game breaker. Enter Nylander.

It would have to be an absolute game breaking forward to trade Bruan. I know it is a waste to pay so much for the 3rd pair and not sustainable after this year, but the depth that the sharks have on D 1-6 is absolutely incredible. Dillon and Braun would be a 2nd pair on a lot of teams. There is just no weak defensive link for other teams to exploit, not to mention the insurance for one of the top 4 getting injured.

At this point I would only take Nylander or Panarin, but also not want to include any of Meier or Lebanc.

If they'll take Lebanc as a significant part of the trade you do that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: StanleyCup2035

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah probably but I think it's wishful thinking that we'd land Nylander. We don't have the assets compared to pretty much anyone else to make that deal.

The only deal I can think of that might not be all that far fetched from either side is something like Braun and one of LaBanc or Donskoi for Nylander and Zaitsev. And that’s probably still not enough.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The only deal I can think of that might not be all that far fetched from either side is something like Braun and one of LaBanc or Donskoi for Nylander and Zaitsev. And that’s probably still not enough.

Of course that's not enough. It's nowhere near close enough and the Sharks don't really have the assets to close that gap much less beat out what other teams will offer if they put Nylander on the market.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno, I dont think an unsigned nykander is going to get as much as people think
Didn't people say the same about drouin?
Braun + Donskoi would be great, but not nearly enough. I'll probably get roasted for this, but I'd do a 1 for 1 with pickles. He doesn't mesh with EK65 very well and I'd much rather have EK65 than pickles if he can find his stride here in SJ.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Didn't people say the same about drouin?
Braun + Donskoi would be great, but not nearly enough. I'll probably get roasted for this, but I'd do a 1 for 1 with pickles. He doesn't mesh with EK65 very well and I'd much rather have EK65 than pickles if he can find his stride here in SJ.

You deserve to get roasted for this. You're making a move like this based off of six games.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
You deserve to get roasted for this. You're making a move like this based off of six games.
Vlasic didn't mesh with burns either. He's too competitive and wants to be the top guy on his pairing.

Plus, would you rather have a 1C or our 3rd best D man making 7 mil?

And EK >>>>>>>>>>>> Vlasic 100%. If you say otherwise, you deserve to get roasted.

We need a legitimate 1st line forward. We don't need 3 top pairing defensemen.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Relax guys once he scores at home it'll be good.

Though I think as other Canadian forums ive read is,

Dillon-Karlsson
Ryan-Burns
Vlasic-Braun

I think Dillon could be a good fit as players will back off physically. And then just put Vlasic-Braun for defense so the roles are in the pairings and they don't have to think about so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad