Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We are still missing a piece IMO. We have a good team, but not a dominant one by any stretch.

I would feel a lot better with another top-6 power forward with 50 pt potential (20/30). Preferably able to play with the Joe’s, but that situation may have run it’s course.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We are still missing a piece IMO. We have a good team, but not a dominant one by any stretch.

I would feel a lot better with another top-6 power forward with 50 pt potential (20/30). Preferably able to play with the Joe’s, but that situation may have run it’s course.

They have 3 top-6 power forwards who can do just that. What they realistically need is a game breaking center but no one piece will change all that much when the entire rest of the core is playing as poorly as they have been.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I agree one more piece would be a huge help but not sure what that realistically looks like. I think we’ll have a much clearer view of this team by December - and luckily we have the pieces to get at least, I would think, a high end 3C if Suomela isn’t working out.

But it’s Doug we’re talking about.. maybe he can swing a Panarin or Duchene at the deadline (doubt Dorion ever trades with him again but who knows...)

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
They have 3 top-6 power forwards who can do just that. What they realistically need is a game breaking center but no one piece will change all that much when the entire rest of the core is playing as poorly as they have been.

Bruh, Hertl is exactly that - a game breaking center. We just need another top-6 power forward to replace him on that line with Couture. Vegas is paper people. Let’s stop trying to beat them at their at their own stupid game and play some real Sharks hockey. We hard rim, we drive the net, that’s what we do.

And honestly, if this was our all-in-year we should have kept Fehr. That forth line was beast af with him out there. I like Goodrow, I like Sorenson. And I would much rather spend 2mil on Fehr than Karlsson. Ohh wait he signed for literally half that amount. So stupid.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Bruh, Hertl is exactly that - a game breaking center. We just need another top-6 power forward to replace him on that line with Couture. Vegas is paper people. Let’s stop trying to beat them at their at their own stupid game and play some real Sharks hockey. We hard rim, we drive the net, that’s what we do.

And honestly, if this was our all-in-year we should have kept Fehr. That forth line was beast af with him out there. I like Goodrow, I like Sorenson. And I would much rather spend 2mil on Fehr than Karlsson. Ohh wait he signed for literally half that amount. So stupid.

I'm sorry, but Hertl is nowhere close to a game breaking center.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I think this is the last year we can even hope Hertl becomes the player we have all seen dominate at times. If he doesn't significantly improve this year then I think he is just winger he is used as now and will never become the #1 or 2C we all hope he becomes. He is starting to get a little old to be talking about potential.

Reactions: SharksAddict

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Give Hertl a line to command, and by the end of the year I could see him proving good enough to play #1 or #2C. I'm also really curious when they decide to put Thornton at 3C, i'd hate to look in hindsight if he gets injured again our thinking was for him to play #1C the whole year after 2 surgeries.

I personally think all he needs is Karlsson cuz they "think the game the same way" and Labancs shot. Give the Joe line a break. I think especially for playoffs, we should put Thornton in a position where hes not getting tied up. Let that rest with Hertl and Couture. Also, we're going to be drawing a lot of penalties with EK, it would be wise to keep our PP players somewhat rested.

It sucks we haven't been grooming Hertl as Center, as he probably could be that guy, but I still remember in 2016 before Couture got injured, he was absolutely tearing it up at #3.

Meier-Hertl-Pavelski
Kane-Couture-Donskoi
Karlsson-Thornton-Labanc
Sorenson-Sumo-Goodrow

It's totally possible we see something like this. I wouldn't say it couldn't happen.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The Donskoi-Pavs-Kane line was pretty awesome last year. I wish Deboer would go back to that and shelter Jumbo’s minutes to keep him fresh.

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Pavs-Kane
Labanc-Thornton-Goodrow
Sorensen-Suomela-Karlsson

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The Donskoi-Pavs-Kane line was pretty awesome last year. I wish Deboer would go back to that and shelter Jumbo’s minutes to keep him fresh.

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Pavs-Kane
Labanc-Thornton-Goodrow
Sorensen-Suomela-Karlsson

There is exactly zero reason to split up Suomela and Donskoi at this point. They have been dominant in every game, and until they no longer are, should not be split up for any reason outside of several injuries.

At this point, the best and seemingly only option in my mind, if Deboer insists on keeping the Joes together, is to put Hertl with them. That leaves Kane, Cooch, Meier and Labanc to make a 2nd/1st line with and fill the wing position on the 3rd.

I think Cooch and Labanc play well together, so I would prefer they be on the same line, leaving their LW for either Kane or Meier. If not, Labanc absolutely killed it with Suomela and Donskoi during the preseason, so you could put him back there, and try Kane/Cooch/Meier out for a bit. I just think Labanc fits better with Cooch then either of those guys.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
non-sharks fan here.whenever i watch a sharks game donskoi jumps out at me with his speed and skill. guessing he will have a big year to earn those UFA dollars

Reactions: NiWa

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I'm fine with how the original lines looked if Meier and Kane are just switched.

Meier-Jumbo-Pavs
Kane-Couture-Hertl
Donskoi-Sumo-Labanc
Sorenson-Chartier-Goodrow/Karlsson

I agree with Snarkattack that I wouldn't try any lines that puts a 4th liner in the top 9.

Reactions: KirbyDots

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'm fine with how the original lines looked if Meier and Kane are just switched.

Meier-Jumbo-Pavs
Kane-Couture-Hertl
Donskoi-Sumo-Labanc
Sorenson-Chartier-Goodrow/Karlsson

I agree with Snarkattack that I wouldn't try any lines that puts a 4th liner in the top 9.
Nice. Using the KISS principle, I like it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
non-sharks fan here.whenever i watch a sharks game donskoi jumps out at me with his speed and skill. guessing he will have a big year to earn those UFA dollars

Donskoi is awesome but unless he puts up a 50+ point season I don’t think he’ll price himself out of our budget. Donskoi is injury prone as well.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Donskoi is awesome but unless he puts up a 50+ point season I don’t think he’ll price himself out of our budget. Donskoi is injury prone as well.

I always wonder what it is that keeps Donskoi's point totals so low, because by the look of it, he should be racking up way more. Part of it is injury, of course, but I also wonder if it's his shot. If you gave him Pavs shot (who doesn't really use it as much as he used to, but regardless), he'd be a first line player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I always wonder what it is that keeps Donskoi's point totals so low, because by the look of it, he should be racking up way more. Part of it is injury, of course, but I also wonder if it's his shot. If you gave him Pavs shot (who doesn't really use it as much as he used to, but regardless), he'd be a first line player.

He gets pushed off the puck kinda easy. I agree his shot could be better. Also hasn’t had the best of linemates. Additionally, he doesn’t play on the first PP unit so almost all of his scoring is at 5v5. Has a good scoring rate per 60, but doesn’t play that many minutes.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
There are a lot of guys who can help us that may be available.

Panarin (elite rw- top 5 in the game)
Duchene (young 1b center with speed)
Staal (would be our best center if he plays like last year, legit #1)
Zucarello (playmaking rw, perfect fit for LC)
Stone (elite rw- top 5 in the game)
Nyquist (solid top 6 rw)
Eberle (goal scoring rw with speed)

What do we need? Either a RW to play with Hertl and Couture, or a center to bump Suomela down to the 4th line.

In contrast the best d available is the ghost of Alex Edler (or perhaps Justin Braun), while there are 6 first line forwards at positions of weakness. Unfortunately, 2 are sens.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He gets pushed off the puck kinda easy. I agree his shot could be better. Also hasn’t had the best of linemates. Additionally, he doesn’t play on the first PP unit so almost all of his scoring is at 5v5. Has a good scoring rate per 60, but doesn’t play that many minutes.

Yes, he seems, relatively of course, weak. antithetical to someone like Meier, who looks like he could plow through a wall and emerge unscathed. Great speed and hands, but weak shot (in terms of speed), easily knocked off the puck, and frail. His craftiness and finish make up for some strength deficiencies to an extent.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Yesterday's post that might be fodder for discussion, many listed above. (But I doubt we're in the market for BOB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad