Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
System or shot selection/personnel that this team seems to always make goalies go into godmode?

I would say yes but its been like 3 coaches and many systems where the Sharks have made goalies look amazing. The Sharks look to be at their worst when the have volume shots with no one in front of the net. That requires snipers and the only thing the Sharks snipe is the middle of goalies chests haha.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I actually think Thornton would work well with Hertl and Couture.

Kane - Pavs - Lebanc
Hertl - Thornton - Couture
Meier - Shovels - Donskoi
Sorensen - Chartier - Goodrow

I love these lines. Perfect combos as far as playmaking, speed, brute strength and finishing IMO. Make it happen PDB!

Reactions: 5H4RK5

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Kane - Pavs - Lebanc

Like these lines a lot. Doubt Deboer will separate the Joes. He’s obsessed with those two being together. Almost like he is hoping they rekindle their 2016 magic

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

Kane - Pavs - Lebanc

This is the best lineup imo. Hopefully Jumbo can get healthy sooner rather than later so we know exactly what we have. If Jumbo can't prove hes healthy before the deadline, go get Zuc and put him on the Hertl-Couture line.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is the best lineup imo. Hopefully Jumbo can get healthy sooner rather than later so we know exactly what we have. If Jumbo can't prove hes healthy before the deadline, go get Zuc and put him on the Hertl-Couture line.
We don’t have the pieces to get Zucc

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Honestly, I Hope DW jumps on this Nylander thing now that TOR is reportedly letting teams talk to him. Braun + Donskoi + M. Karlsson for Nylander is a definite upgrade and works out to cap neutral this year and a savings next.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly, I Hope DW jumps on this Nylander thing now that TOR is reportedly letting teams talk to him. Braun + Donskoi + M. Karlsson for Nylander is a definite upgrade and works out to cap neutral this year and a savings next.
What kind of contract is he looking for?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
What kind of contract is he looking for?

7ish from all I’ve heard. 3.8 + 2 + 1.9 (and Donskoi’s 1.9 is set for a sizable raise next season) is 7.7. If we got him done for 7.25 with term that would free up another 1/2 mil in cap space, and prevent us from having to move some of those same players in the off season anyways. Karlsson and Braun are both filling a defensive need for Toronto while Donskoi fits Nylander’s playmaking style and won’t cost an arm and leg. Honestly good trade you ask me.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
7ish from all I’ve heard. 3.8 + 2 + 1.9 (and Donskoi’s 1.9 is set for a sizable raise next season) is 7.7. If we got him done for 7.25 with term that would free up another 1/2 mil in cap space, and prevent us from having to move some of those same players in the off season anyways. Karlsson and Braun are both filling a defensive need for Toronto while Donskoi fits Nylander’s playmaking style and won’t cost an arm and leg. Honestly good trade you ask me.
It’s not good for Toronto but definitely great for us.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think that Braun is our best moveable piece right now so it's best to look for a hockey trade.

Teams that could use Braun-forwards I would want for him (my thoughts on the trade)
Arizona Coyotes-Dylan Strome (highly doubt they do this)
Buffalo Sabres-Jeff Skinner/Sam Reinhart (doubt they do either of these)
Toronto-Marleau/Kapanen/Kadri (probably would do/might do/won't do)
Columbus-Anderson/Jenner (might do/probably won't do)
Philadelphia-Simmonds (probably works the best)
Pittsburgh-Hagelin/Rust (might do/might do)

So out of all the teams that might be able to use Braun the only teams that have a forward that works for us (at least IMO) are Toronto, Columbus, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. I think that Marleau has too big of a cap hit and Kapanen isn't proven enough without a huge plus. I don't know if Columbus will want to give up either of Anderson or Jenner when they have Jones and Savard on the right even though Braun is an upgrade on Savard. Pittsburgh I think that Hagelin is too expensive, I would love Rust though, I just don't know if we can make the cap work here.

This is the trade I'm proposing based around Simmonds and Braun:

Simmonds (1 year left at 3.975)+Hagg (2 years left at 1.15 RFA) for Braun (2 years left at 3.8)+Karlsson (2 years left at 2M)

We save a little bit of cap space and get a good power forward. We also get a replacement for Braun.

Lines after this trade:
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi/Labanc
Hertl-Couture-Meier
Simmonds-Thornton-Labanc/Donskoi
Sorenson-Suomela-Goodrow
Chartier

Vlasic-Karlsson
Ryan-Burns
Hagg-Dillon
Heed, Simek

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Wasn't Dillon traded for Demers explicitly because he couldn't play Rd? Maybe Hagg could play right however.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Dillon played on the right with Schlemko and that was the best 3rd pairing we have had in recent memory.

Thought schlemko was on the right? I seem to recall him being spectacular of taking a puck on the backhand and rapidly switching to his forehand?

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Since we are trying out everything during the regular season.)

Kane Pavs Labanc
Burns Hertl Couture
Meier Sumo Don
Sorensen Goodrow Karlsson

You could move Couture to 4th line center with
Goodrow Couture Chartier that way we have guys on multiple lines that can win faceoffs.

Kane Pavs Labanc - Kane spaces Pavs Labanc combo
Burns Hertl Sorensen - Sor spaces so Hertl Burns can attack
Meier Sumo Don - Meier checking Sumo Don combo
Goodrow Couture Chartier - Couture gets a pwf who can score and needed playmaker so he can snipe

Thornton comes back put him with Goodrow and Couture on 4th line. Reason Thornton gets light minutes and is ready to go hulk mode during playoffs he is 39 after all not 29.)

Vlasic Karlsson
Ryan Heed
Simek Braun
Dillon

Dell
Jones

Try this for 7 games like a playoff series, list and keep what works. )

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Burns is not going back to forward. His offence is better from the back end.

For whatever it's worth, if Burns was off the blueline, I'd also rather put Heed in with Ryan instead of pushing Braun up. Heed/Ryan was dynamite for the Barracuda and I'd give them a chance to recapture that magic on the big stage.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh my god, Burns is never going back to forward.
Burns is not going back to forward. His offence is better from the back end.

For whatever it's worth, if Burns was off the blueline, I'd also rather put Heed in with Ryan instead of pushing Braun up. Heed/Ryan was dynamite for the Barracuda and I'd give them a chance to recapture that magic on the big stage.

Hey Burns, I know you won the Norris in 2016-17. But its 2018 now. You have got so bad that you are now going to play as a forward.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Even with Thornton back, Sharks need another top 6 forward, I'd love Zuccarello, 1 year left, don't know what it would take to get him though.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
After 5 games were already so dissatisfied with the play of the forwards that we need to think about adding more top 6 forwards? To go along with the 8 possible top 6 choices already on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad