Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Reddit is largely positive and nowhere near as analytical as this forum. Twitter is just noise and its largely 60/40 positive

He’s definitely talking about HFBoards. There is no “vocal segment” of Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc. that is specifically critical of Melker Karlsson over Rourke Chartier. Those groups don’t really have the knowledge like we do to come to those consensus agreements.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
He’s definitely talking about HFBoards. There is no “vocal segment” of Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc. that is specifically critical of Melker Karlsson over Rourke Chartier. Those groups don’t really have the knowledge like we do to come to those consensus agreements.
bTAfU5Z.jpg

I'm not sure knowledge differs. I imagine that Twitter is simply not the best forum for in depth discussion. I'm sure many of us are on different platforms. I know I am.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
bTAfU5Z.jpg

I'm not sure knowledge differs. I imagine that Twitter is simply not the best forum for in depth discussion. I'm sure many of us are on different platforms. I know I am.

I am on twitter but the only time i used to talk hockey it was to say that any one that voted toews into the top 100 players of all time over malkin and thornton need there credentials revoked. And to lose all credibility.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
The PK thing really wasn't some major point to dwell on. In looking at Melker's play it occurred to me that he plays a lot on the PK and the Sharks have been a pretty good PK team since he's been here. Not that he's the reason but he isn't hurting them on it. Maybe the advanced stats say otherwise but they sure don't give up many goals on the PK. Again, I'm not trying to say he's worth keeping. That should be plainly obvious.

As far the coaching staff turning people into good PKers... that's just not true. Some players will never be good on the PK. Notice LeBanc and Donskoi don't see much PK time typically. Some players grow into it but there are plenty who don't. It's not always as simple as coaching.
True but I just think our systems take care of a lot of things on defense, which is still pretty new to the organization. I agree melker isn't bad, but its just a matter of who is making the difference the least, and that's where you typically start when you want to improve ur team.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I don’t buy this for a second. I don’t think he’s meeting fans in person, away from the rink, that are all in consensus agreement of Chartier over Melker, and that could be described as a vocal segment.

Meanwhile, in actual roster discussion news...

What top-9 forward could we offer on top of Braun to make that work? Could Kevin LaBanc do the trick?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I don’t buy this for a second. I don’t think he’s meeting fans in person, away from the rink, that are all in consensus agreement of Chartier over Melker, and that could be described as a vocal segment.

What top-9 forward could we offer on top of Braun to make that work? Could Kevin LaBanc do the trick?

Sure, but if we trade Braun, who will take his minutes? I mean it's not like there are any good, competent defensemen on the roster in need of minutes!

/s

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Labanc wouldn't work for the money it would cost to get Nylander signed, imo. It would have to be Hertl so it's not going to happen.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Labanc wouldn't work for the money it would cost to get Nylander signed, imo. It would have to be Hertl so it's not going to happen.

The money would probably work at this point in this season if Braun is going the other way. Going forward, we would have to ditch quite a few players. If it had to be Hertl, I wouldn’t do it either.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The money would probably work at this point in this season if Braun is going the other way. Going forward, we would have to ditch quite a few players. If it had to be Hertl, I wouldn’t do it either.

Nylander is probably asking for north of 7 million. They'd have to clear that much at least to get him to sign and Braun is only going to account for 3.8 of it. They only have the cap space of about 1.4 mil. That still leaves another 2 mil minimum and it's probably closer to 3. Labanc doesn't cover that on his own.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Who is Chris Nichols?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I’d use Donskoi or Labanc. If Doug somehow gets Nylander for Braun and Labanc/Donskoi no one can complain about him ever.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nylander is probably asking for north of 7 million. They'd have to clear that much at least to get him to sign and Braun is only going to account for 3.8 of it. They only have the cap space of about 1.4 mil. That still leaves another 2 mil minimum and it's probably closer to 3. Labanc doesn't cover that on his own.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the salary cap, but doesn’t it pro-rate further into the season? Like. A $7M cap hit only costs us $6M on the cap? Or is it actually the other way around?

Who is Chris Nichols?

A guy who is quoting Darren Dreger.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the salary cap, but doesn’t it pro-rate further into the season? Like. A $7M cap hit only costs us $6M on the cap? Or is it actually the other way around?

A guy who is quoting Darren Dreger.

Yes to the pro rated for contracts. So as of right now burns would be a 6.2 million cap hit.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think. Braun and banker actually do get that done and to be honest f*** the cap. Go all in and go over like the Hawks did but try to get them to tank melker as a dump

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Hertl would be too much and DW's track record says that if he's involved with this trade it'll be a little less than most here predict. Toronto's main ask is likely a defenseman though so I don't think they'll get someone like Hertl as the forward piece.

Just watched The Big Short again and made me think that DW must have observed and learned from CDO managers. I think he likely creates a "CDO" of something like Dillon/Braun, Lebanc/Donskoi and Melker and convinces the leafs that that is a AAA rated deal. :laugh: I think the money should work that way to.

Ideally I would like to see Vlassic as the main piece going to the Leafs straight up or with maybe Melker and/or Someone like Chartier or Gambrel. If we're going to dream might as well do it while circumventing a NTC. :laugh:

Last edited:

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
I would most definitely offer Braun+Labanc/Donskoi as a base to the deal.

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Kane-Pavelski-Nylander
Sorenson-Thornton-Labanc
Goodrow-Suomela-Karlsson

Vlasic-Burns/Karlsson
Dillon-Karlsson/Burns
Ryan-Heed

Definitely would have to get a steadier 3rd pairing damn it other than that... wow

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would most definitely offer Braun+Labanc/Donskoi as a base to the deal.

Hertl-Couture-Meier
Kane-Pavelski-Nylander
Sorenson-Thornton-Labanc
Goodrow-Suomela-Karlsson

Wow

Unless the Sharks are offering Braun, Donskoi, and Melker plus whatever to cover the difference in value to get Nylander, it's not going to happen because they won't have the cap space for it. Nylander's signed cap hit the rest of the year is going to be larger than 7 mil if he signs for just 7 mil AAV.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Unless the Sharks are offering Braun, Donskoi, and Melker plus whatever to cover the difference in value to get Nylander, it's not going to happen because they won't have the cap space for it. Nylander's signed cap hit the rest of the year is going to be larger than 7 mil if he signs for just 7 mil AAV.

Braun+Donskoi+Melker would cover it but Idk if they would take Melker

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Braun+Donskoi+Melker would cover it but Idk if they would take Melker

Braun, Donskoi, and Melker cover 7.7 million. A seven mil AAV Nylander for the first season at this point is going to require 8 mil in cap space to make him fit and that number only goes up the closer it gets to December to as much as 9.8 mil if it's on December 1 when it all gets settled.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Braun, Melker, Donskoi for Nylander is definitely an improvement offensively, but I think it leaves us with some serious minutes to eat up on defense. Karlsson just isn’t good enough defensively for me to feel comfortable moving on from Braun.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I am really disappointed in Vlasic and Braun, I guess my expectations of them weighs in on some of that disappointment, but I just can't help but expect better of them. It is not like it is even just as a pairing, even when they are paired with others the failures on simple things has been aggravating.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Braun, Melker, Donskoi for Nylander is definitely an improvement offensively, but I think it leaves us with some serious minutes to eat up on defense. Karlsson just isn’t good enough defensively for me to feel comfortable moving on from Braun.

Braun has not been that good defensively either. Also, its not like Karlsson will be replacing Braun. It would be Simek or Heed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Braun has not been that good defensively either. Also, its not like Karlsson will be replacing Braun. It would be Simek or Heed.

It would be Heed short term with outside chances of DeSimone or Roy taking the spot. I think Vlasic has been the biggest disappointment defensively. He had been waning in his effectiveness the last couple years but this year with things ramping up offensively, I would've thought he would've taken it upon himself to be more of a shutdown guy but he's looking more like trying to join in the offensive festivities. Problem is he doesn't have the skills or awareness needed to really be that good at that aspect of the game to where it doesn't impact his defensive game. He needs to reel it in and I think a lot of the other defensive woes for the team will work themselves out.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad