Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It would be Heed short term with outside chances of DeSimone or Roy taking the spot. I think Vlasic has been the biggest disappointment defensively. He had been waning in his effectiveness the last couple years but this year with things ramping up offensively, I would've thought he would've taken it upon himself to be more of a shutdown guy but he's looking more like trying to join in the offensive festivities. Problem is he doesn't have the skills or awareness needed to really be that good at that aspect of the game to where it doesn't impact his defensive game. He needs to reel it in and I think a lot of the other defensive woes for the team will work themselves out.
Yep. Its kind of hard to understand why he is trying to do this. I mean he has never been an offensive force in the NHL level. Trying to re-invent yourself at this stage in your career and try to play like Karlsson or Burns is going to only hurt the team. When one of Karlsson/Burns pinches or pushes offensive play they have the talent and awareness to make something happen. When Vlasic does it, its pretty much a turnover waiting to happen. And if that leaves just Braun to bail us out and play 1-on-2's we are pretty much doomed.

I remember a few years back when Vlasic played those 1-on-2's like a champ and broke them up regularly. This year he has not even been in position to play them because he has been in the offensive zone. If he plays to his strength, then yeah, like you said a lot of our D issues will work themselves out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In the hypothetical that Vlassic would waive to go to The Leafs, would you trade him straight up for a signed Nylander?

Yeah I would pretty easily make that move but we would then need to look elsewhere to replace Vlasic's minutes because Dillon, Ryan, and Simek aren't going to be good enough.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thats a bold strategy cotton.

Nylander is, to me, a special player that the team can build around and Vlasic is seemingly declining in what made him elite. I can't see that getting better the further he gets into his 30's but he definitely eats a lot of minutes that the team doesn't have a ready-made solution to replace. The only guy slated to be a free agent that could moving forward is Alex Edler and I bet he gets signed before going to free agency. Other than that, I don't see anyone on the trade market available at this point that could eat that many minutes effectively.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Nylander is, to me, a special player that the team can build around and Vlasic is seemingly declining in what made him elite. I can't see that getting better the further he gets into his 30's but he definitely eats a lot of minutes that the team doesn't have a ready-made solution to replace. The only guy slated to be a free agent that could moving forward is Alex Edler and I bet he gets signed before going to free agency. Other than that, I don't see anyone on the trade market available at this point that could eat that many minutes effectively.
I guess my question becomes, how much more offensive firepower do we need if the lines are clicking? We haven't had many issues scoring.

But yeah, Nylander would be a sick addition to this team and might be worth the risk of losing a declining Vlasic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess my question becomes, how much more offensive firepower do we need if the lines are clicking? We haven't had many issues scoring.

But yeah, Nylander would be a sick addition to this team and might be worth the risk of losing a declining Vlasic.

I'm thinking more along the lines of next year and after that. I'd be very wary about signing Pavelski to another deal and Thornton could retire at any moment. If they landed Nylander at the cost of just Braun, Donskoi, and Melker plus whatever, I'd happily let Pavs walk and even look to sign Donskoi back after he becomes a UFA.

Reactions: LeftHeartInSF

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I think with the future of our organization, drafting another offensive d-man in Ryan Merkley. I don't think I would have said it but since Vlasic isn't working well with Karlsson/Burns i'd wager we should start looking at what his trade value is. I wouldn't be against Vlasic for Nylander. Or Vlasic for a nice piece in the future.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I remember a few years back when Vlasic played those 1-on-2's like a champ and broke them up regularly. This year he has not even been in position to play them because he has been in the offensive zone. If he plays to his strength, then yeah, like you said a lot of our D issues will work themselves out.

I mentioned it in the game thread, but two years ago, Vlasic would have never let that pass to Simon get through. That wasn't an instance of him pinching, that was him just not making the right play. While he definitely needs to tone back taking so many risks offensively, his pure defensive skills have atrophied (for lack of a better word).

Regarding Nylander...the tough part of that trade is that TML can't really take salary back. Someone like Donskoi is probably OK since his contract is up this year, but while I am sure they would love someone like Vlasic, that doesn't solve their cap issues.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm thinking more along the lines of next year and after that. I'd be very wary about signing Pavelski to another deal and Thornton could retire at any moment. If they landed Nylander at the cost of just Braun, Donskoi, and Melker plus whatever, I'd happily let Pavs walk and even look to sign Donskoi back after he becomes a UFA.
I think Nylander for Vlasic works for now and the future. This year could be slightly challenging but we would be losing the Vlasic of today and not two years back. If we do this, and re-sign EK65 you do whatever you need to do.

Not re-sign Pavs or Jumbo.
Trade Braun and/or Dillon
Buyout Melker

I think that still leaves us:

Meier-Hertl-Nylander
Kane-Couture-Labanc
Sorensen-Shovels-Donkey
Goodrow-Gambrell-Chartier (pick some youngsters)

Ryan-Burns
?-EK65
?-?

We have Roy, Wood, DeSimone and Simek for those 3 D spots but unfortunately they are largely question marks so yeah, next season could be challenging. Maybe we can promise Heed a starting spot and re-sign him. Would feel a lot comfortable having him but that ship may have sailed.

I think the biggest wildcards for next year are Merkley and Chekhovich. If they somehow transition to the NHL successfully next year, we would be very dangerous. But I think that is quite a longshot expecting both of them to be ready by next season.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Assuming DW knows he has a really good shot of resigning Karlsson, I'd throw a party in the street if we could trade Vlasic for Nylander. If we have nearly 20 mil a year committed to Burns and EK65 for the foreseeable future, I'd much rather give that 7 Mil per to a young dynamic forward, than to a declining 1 way defensmen.

Meier-Couture-Hertl
Kane-Pavs-Nylander
Sorensen-Thornton-Donskoi
Labanc-Shovels-Goodrow

Ryan-Burns
Braun-Karlsson
Dillon-Heed

Drool

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Would Toronto take Vlasic (aging D) over simply offering Nylander the $ Vlasic's contract is worth? Yes, they want D, but isn't a 24 year old talented forward a better choice over the 30 year old defenseman.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Would Toronto take Vlasic (aging D) over simply offering Nylander the $ Vlasic's contract is worth? Yes, they want D, but isn't a 24 year old talented forward a better choice over the 30 year old defenseman.

Generally when a player does what Nylander is doing, it's really a sign for "I don't want to be on this team", not only about the money. They've likely moved past the idea of keeping him at this point, if he doesn't want to be there, you don't want him there, but they have to make a pretty good show of it so other future players don't try the same thing. Do they want Vlasic? More than likely, they desperately need a player like him, but would they want his contract? If another similar but cheaper option was available, probably not. Shark's really cannot afford to retain either, so I think it's unlikely.

I think they'd be a lot more interested in Braun + assets they could use for the future or move at the deadline.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'm not sure. Pickles instantly becomes their best Dman. That's a hard proposition to pass up if you are Toronto I'd think.

Would pickles waive his ntc? Maybe. He would be the leafs #1 Dman. It seems to me that this is a very important thing for him personally. He certainly seems to be having a bit of an identity crisis now since EK65 arrived.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I like Nylander because he's a scoring winger too, and I don't think him not wanting to play has anything to do with a Stanley cup. I think Toronto doesn't look as good, if a player of his caliber with a caliber of their team, he must be seeing something that he doesn't think is good. So any previous issues I had with him, I would be happy to trade Vlasic for him straight up, as that would probably be the best return we could get, and we should take advantage of the situation. I would offer Braun first though, but if not I think they would take Vlasic to just settle the situation and have an easy on paper add on that looks good for the playoffs.

Besides Vlasic doesn't care about the Cup, he likes team Canada. Let's get the Nylander guy, if theres any issues I think he would be the first guy that gets a talking to that comes to our team instead of just routinely becoming apart of the leadership group like everybody else. I think there would be some attitude adjustment if he came to this team, but sometimes negative experiences are good.

Sharks message is to win a Stanley cup, its no secret. So, but I still think Nylander just doesn't want to be there more than he wants to get paid. If its been this long.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
If the Sharks can't acquire Nylander, what would it take to get one of Vincent Trocheck or Nick Bjugstad from Florida?

Still think they need top line help at C if they want to make a cup run. Hertl at #1C is too risky with his injury history.

Would LaBanc + Braun or Donskoi get it done? Too much? The Sharks would need to match salaries as it looks like they are pretty close to the cap.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
All this speculating...does anyone really doubt that our resident wizard, Doug Wilson, could pull this off?
Maybe we should have EK65 call Nylander and talk to him about moving. You know, be that elder, calming voice to convince him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
All this speculating...does anyone really doubt that our resident wizard, Doug Wilson, could pull this off?
Maybe we should have EK65 call Nylander and talk to him about moving. You know, be that elder, calming voice to convince him.

Yeah, I have sincere doubts about it. We don't have the space nor the assets to make it happen. Other teams do.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah I would pretty easily make that move but we would then need to look elsewhere to replace Vlasic's minutes because Dillon, Ryan, and Simek aren't going to be good enough.
Move Braun + Donskoi for a top 4 LHD+.

Hertl - Couture - Meier
Kane - Pavelski - Nylander
Suomela - Thornton - Labanc
4th line

XXXX - Karlsson
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Heed

Seems good to me. Just need a guy to complement Karlsson, not a superstar.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If the Sharks can't acquire Nylander, what would it take to get one of Vincent Trocheck or Nick Bjugstad from Florida?

Still think they need top line help at C if they want to make a cup run. Hertl at #1C is too risky with his injury history.

Would LaBanc + Braun or Donskoi get it done? Too much? The Sharks would need to match salaries as it looks like they are pretty close to the cap.

I doubt they deal Trocheck. That package is too much for Bjugstad imo

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yeah, I have sincere doubts about it. We don't have the space nor the assets to make it happen. Other teams do.
We have the assets but not the space. He's an unsigned holdout asking for 2 mil a year more than he's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad