Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Burakovsky is an interesting reclamation project. Wouldn’t want to pay too much. He’s basically a coin-toss. Though, I guess that represents better odds than a 2nd round pick. So if that’s the price, we’re more likely to actually get something out of Burakovsky than the pick. Still, I’m nervous about an overpayment. I also worry about whether he’d fit under Tocchet. He’s 0% sticky.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
LeBrun stating in the Athletic that the Coyotes are trying to deal for Burakovsky:

LeBrun Notebook: What's wrong with the Leafs, Andre Burakovsky draws interest and Hurricanes remain active
LeBrun Notebook: What's wrong with the Leafs, Andre...

That's an appropriate target. Maybe a little more pricey than I would want but may also be had for cheap, potentially could blossom in RTs scheme and will help with the Russian culture for when we draft Podkolzin :naughty:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Burakovsky is an interesting reclamation project. Wouldn’t want to pay too much. He’s basically a coin-toss. Though, I guess that represents better odds than a 2nd round pick. So if that’s the price, we’re more likely to actually get something out of Burakovsky than the pick. Still, I’m nervous about an overpayment. I also worry about whether he’d fit under Tocchet. He’s 0% sticky.
It's hard to believe anyone would pay too much when they are also taking on a generous contract for level of production?? But the NHL has some Chiarelli's!!!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's an appropriate target. Maybe a little more pricey than I would want but may also be had for cheap, potentially could blossom in RTs scheme and will help with the Russian culture for when we draft Podkolzin :naughty:
A Swede who was born in Austria to help with Russian culture??

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He isnt sticky but he can push the pace in the way Schmaltz can. Not as good with the up tempo but still can work with it. Maybe Gally can be a mentor both in how to start using his frame more, always saw similarities in their play style but obviously there's a gap in the talent.

He also replaces Panik on the roster next year if he is somewhat successful, that isn't something you can say about all rentals.

Just took a look at his current stats. Looks like a nice buy low candidate.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
His mother’s side is from Russia. His dad is a Swede. Not sure that André Burakovsky has much more involvement with Russia than the typical Russian Jew diaspora. The majority of which, I believe live in New York or Isreal.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

I was thinking Namestnikov at first. But any addition of Russian culture is good for the organization in my mind. I remember Bryz made comments after going to Philly about feeling isolated on the team (not too surprising) but also in the metro area as a whole because of the lack of Russian culture.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Panik is riding a useful streak. These usually are followed with prolonged periods of uselessness. Not saying Burakovsky doesn’t suffer from the exact same issues, but he’s younrg enough that outgrowing them is still possible

No doubt. I like Burakovski, but today at this moment I’d take Panik. If we fall out of contention I’d probably flip my opinion quickly

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I wanted Chychrun at 7, so it all worked out.

I wanted Tkachuk, Juolevi or Keller ... I think I actually really wanted Juolevi as I thought Tkachuk would be gone already .. man good thing that didn't happen ... Usually the guys I want all turn out to be stars .. i.e Marner etc.. but not this time..

Crisis adverted

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Would this be one of those cases where we take Burakovski and an aging contract ? I don't know too much about Burakovski , or the caps financial situation ..

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Just read Panik has 8 points in 7 games. Thats almost Burakovsky's point total this season. Hard to move him when he is on a hot streak if we are trying to improve the roster.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Just read Panik has 8 points in 7 games. Thats almost Burakovsky's point total this season. Hard to move him when he is on a hot streak if we are trying to improve the roster.
Why? It’s not like Panik is a young guy finally breaking out, or finally showing his offense. He’s an known entity at this point. We all know he’s going to go on a quiet streak here soon and disappear for an extended period. He is what he is. Trade him if his value is at a high right now.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don’t get fooled by a hot streak. He’s invisible when he cools off and he’s more cold than hot. Sell high.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Don’t get fooled by a hot streak. He’s invisible when he cools off and he’s more cold than hot. Sell high.

Agreed. What I'm saying is how much sense does it make to move him for Burakovsky? If we add a forward it has to be for futures, which we don't have many to give for a rental. Catch 22

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. What I'm saying is how much sense does it make to move him for Burakovsky? If we add a forward it has to be for futures, which we don't have many to give for a rental. Catch 22
What's upside of Burakovsky? 15 goals? 40 points? More as he'll likely get more PP time.

Panik's isn't coming back. They won't re-sign him. Burakovsky likely signs at a $ figure close to where he's at.

I'm more concerned on the + from our end.

rt

May 13, 2004
Burakovsky would be a good add. I don’t want to ditch Panik at this point but I also have ZERO interest in re-signing Panik. If the trade was UFA for RFA, I’d be very tempted. Even if we had to add a bit. Panik+4th for Burakovsky is quite palatable to me. I’m assuming Panik is about to disappear.

Reactions: hbk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce