Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Wasn’t it mentioned earlier this season that Bednar doesn’t tell players why they were benched?
Bednar said that he prefers to wait until the next day to talk to the players when they are benched. It gives them time to cool down and therefore having a better discussion.

Avaholic

Feb 27, 2017
Anyone else excited to see Werner's solid numbers in the SHL? Especially with our lack of goaltending prospects in the pipeline.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Bednar said that he prefers to wait until the next day to talk to the players when they are benched. It gives them time to cool down and therefore having a better discussion.
Which I guess makes sense, or... The player stews and comes up with his own conclusions over that time. I can easily see how Bednar's approach to benching can build resentment.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Anyone else excited to see Werner's solid numbers in the SHL? Especially with our lack of goaltending prospects in the pipeline.

Ya that would be huge for us it is one of our biggest question marks going forward. Anyone seen him play? Know anything about his team?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ya that would be huge for us it is one of our biggest question marks going forward. Anyone seen him play? Know anything about his team?
Going to use history since I've haven't watch him too much this season. He's been used primarily as a backup goaler for Farjestad and they've always been a decent team in the SHL (first place as of now). So, his numbers are probably good because he plays on a deep team, however, that shouldn't discredit the season he's having either considering he's only 21 years old. He's a shotblocking goaler, which means he use his size and positioning to simple block the shot similar to James Reimer or Lehner than using pure athleticism like Quick or Vasilevskiy are. Not sure how high his talent level is, but he should be brought over next year and play in the AHL to see if he's a legitimate prospect or not.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Listening to Spittin Chiclets right now and they've been talking about Scott Niedermayer, I know this is obviously a large hope, but I wonder if Makar can turn into a similar player.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Listening to Spittin Chiclets right now and they've been talking about Scott Niedermayer, I know this is obviously a large hope, but I wonder if Makar can turn into a similar player.

Few players I've seen play live have wowed me more than Niedermayer. That dude was everywhere, and it wasn't like he had blinding speed or anything, he was just a step ahead mentally. I would be beyond thrilled if Cale hit anywhere close to that.

Reactions: MarkT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Niedermayer is the 3rd best defenseman I’ve ever seen play the game after Lidstrom and Karlsson. That might be shooting high for Makar lol.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Few players I've seen play live have wowed me more than Niedermayer. That dude was everywhere, and it wasn't like he had blinding speed or anything, he was just a step ahead mentally. I would be beyond thrilled if Cale hit anywhere close to that.
Yup. Loved Niedermayer growing up. I usually lean more towards the Z/young Phaneuf types, but he just moved around the ice effortlessly.

But Makar hitting that would be beyond a homerun. A Grandslam with the flying ball hitting a burglar in the head and stopping a robbery level of homerun.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Cale is looking awesome and these comparisons cant help but get a fella stoked. Dont get to see much of him besides the clips on here.
I have seen a few full games of Miro, is it fair to say in 5 years Makar will be better? Just trying to set my expectations. Do we have a future Norris candidate here?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
While I think Niedermayer is quite unrealistic he's commonly compared to Duncan Keith who has alot of similarities to Neidermayer

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Cale is looking awesome and these comparisons cant help but get a fella stoked. Dont get to see much of him besides the clips on here.
I have seen a few full games of Miro, is it fair to say in 5 years Makar will be better? Just trying to set my expectations. Do we have a future Norris candidate here?
It's way too early to be setting expectations like that. Let's just root for what we drafted him to be which is our #1 defenseman. It could take 3-5 years to even get there

Reactions: cgf and LTC Pain

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
While I think Niedermayer is quite unrealistic he's commonly compared to Duncan Keith who has alot of similarities to Neidermayer

Again to re-emphasize I believe he has a very slim chance of him reaching the height of Neidermayer as there aren't many players as cerebral as what Neidermayer from what I remember/can gather. I know we should keep our expectations tempered and there's still a very good chance Makar doesn't ever develop into anything more than second pair defenseman, but it's hard not to get super excited about a player who sees and plays the game the way Makar does especially with his ability to dominate leagues very quickly.

I am generally optimistic so please take everything I post I write with that in the back of your mind, but I fully believe Makar will be a good #4 next year that waivers between a #6 and a #2 next season, but is substantially more consistent than Girard. Following that I see him being a top pair dman, especially if we can get him a steady defensive partner.

Reactions: MarkT and avsfan09

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Makar is playing on NESN tonight for those who can watch that network. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a stream that I can watch.

Reactions: Perratrooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->