Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
man, Necas was a little bit faster then Kaut on that exercise.

Necas was one of those prospects where I almost wished the Avs had a later pick, because I expected him to be a steal for somebody. Just so proficient and smart in so many areas of the game.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Has anybody been paying attention to Pronmans in depth organizational prospect rankings he's doing right now on The Athletic?

I'm curious as to where he ranks the Avs as I have a feeling we will be ranked quite highly. He mentions that he values high end upside more then depth, and based on the type of players he likes I think we'll rank quite highly on his list.

He ranks prospects based on what kind of upside they have and categorizes them as follows:

Special(A player that he projects to be one of the very best in the league at his position)
Elite(A player that projects in the Top 10% in his position)
High-End Prospect(Projects as Top pairing or 1st line forward)
Very Good Prospect(Projects as Top 6 forward or Top 4 Defender)
Legit NHL prospect(Projects to have a legit NHL role in the future)
Have a chance(Player who could make it to the NHL in minor role)
Depth(Player that projects as an injury call-up type of player)

I think based on the way he ranks players using those categories and the things he looks for in prospects that the Avs will look something like:

Makar(High End)
Timmins(High End)
Bowers(Very Good)
Kaut(Very Good)
Kovalenko(Very Good)
Ranta(Very Good)
Weiss(Very Good)

He had all of Kovalenko, Weiss, and Ranta in his Top 74 before the draft. I think we'll end up ranked in the 7-12 range ultimately.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Has anybody been paying attention to Pronmans in depth organizational prospect rankings he's doing right now on The Athletic?

I'm curious as to where he ranks the Avs as I have a feeling we will be ranked quite highly. He mentions that he values high end upside more then depth, and based on the type of players he likes I think we'll rank quite highly on his list.

He ranks prospects based on what kind of upside they have and categorizes them as follows:

Special(A player that he projects to be one of the very best in the league at his position)

I think based on the way he ranks players using those categories and the things he looks for in prospects that the Avs will look something like:

Makar(High End)
Timmins(High End)
Bowers(Very Good)
Kaut(Very Good)
Kovalenko(Very Good)
Ranta(Very Good)
Weiss(Very Good)

He had all of Kovalenko, Weiss, and Ranta in his Top 74 before the draft. I think we'll end up ranked in the 7-12 range ultimately.

I think that range sounds about right for the Avs but you never know with Pronman. I'm not sure if it'll be quite that high because of his feelings on the top guys. He wasn't too high on Makar, Timmins, Bowers, or Kaut in his pre-draft rankings compared to the consensus. He also had Makar outside the top 10 and Timmins in the 40's in his midseason ranking last year, which came after their great WJC performances.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Makar(High End)
Timmins(High End)
Bowers(Very Good)
Kaut(Very Good)
Kovalenko(Very Good)
Ranta(Very Good)
Weiss(Very Good)

Probably not far off, but I don't think he rates Bowers or Kaut that highly. Hes a fan of both Timmins and Makar though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I know he had Makar as his 19th best prospect. He also had Timmins inside his Top 50 at #47 and had Kamenev even higher at #44.

And on his draft rankings for the 2018 draft he had Kaut(36), Kovalenko(48 I think), Ranta(55, I think), and Weiss(66) all inside his Top 74.

So I think we probably have a number of prospects that he believes to be quality guys with legit NHL upside. Should be interesting to see where he ranks us and how his Top 15 looks for the team.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah I know he had Makar as his 19th best prospect. He also had Timmins inside his Top 50 at #47 and had Kamenev even higher at #44.

And on his draft rankings for the 2018 draft he had Kaut(36), Kovalenko(48 I think), Ranta(55, I think), and Weiss(66) all inside his Top 74.

So I think we probably have a number of prospects that he believes to be quality guys with legit NHL upside. Should be interesting to see where he ranks us and how his Top 15 looks for the team.
Well Pronman came out with his bottom 6... and we’re not on it.

So it’s a good start.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nice of Cale Makar to do a prospect breakdown for us. Maybe once he signs his new contract he can afford his own room.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Bowers definitely looks capable. It's refreshing seeing a forward prospect actually be able to develop and train.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I should have added that I am not sure what Eurolanche is really suggesting or implying with his tweet, but I am sure it is nothing.

They just reports stuff. They, like us, like to know when guys are spending time in Denver. Jost spent most of the off-season in Denver last year. My guess is we'll see a lot more of it too now that the AHL team is so close.

Cap space? College?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I guess the number of scholarships they're allowed? Like 80% of BU's team is draft picks from various NHL teams on sports scholarships.

Maybe.. could have meant roster spots opened up, but cap usually refers to some sort of money. So yours makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad