Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guess the number of scholarships they're allowed? Like 80% of BU's team is draft picks from various NHL teams on sports scholarships.
He might have misspoken too, I'm guessing it's something like that. They're down a player now that Tkachuk is going pro, so they might have room for a forward like Ranta.

This could be a real opportunity for him as well, not to knock Wisconsin but BU is one of the best hockey programs in the country. It would be great to see him get the opportunity to play for them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well turns out I was completely wrong about Pronman.

He has the Avs ranked 21st and I pretty much disagree with everything he said. He seems down on all of our prospects compared to their peers.
Pronman was never really or ever smart, he just was fortunate and was smart thinking in making a solid foundation for him on Twitter which attracted the major writers.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

He has the Avs ranked 21st and I pretty much disagree with everything he said. He seems down on all of our prospects compared to their peers.
You can't convince me there are 20 teams that have better prospects than the Avs. Especially when you consider we have Makar, Timmins who were arguably team Canada's two best dmen at the world Juniors. Plus we just added Kaut. On top of that we have guys like Meloche, Ranta, Shvyrev, Lewis, Henry etc.

It's pretty clear to me Pronman is just getting worse every single year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Lmao

• Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.
  • Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
  • Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
So none of Timmins, Kamenev, or Kaut project solidly as a top six/top 4? Bowers leads the group of "Have a chance" guys.

That ended up worse than I thought.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

He called Zadorov our 11th best u-23 piece lmao.

How can he make a ranking of 1. Mackinnon 2. Rantanen 3. Makar 4. Jost 5. Girard and then conclude that they’re the 21st best u23 group in the league.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

How can he make a ranking of 1. Mackinnon 2. Rantanen 3. Makar 4. Jost 5. Girard and then conclude that they’re the 21st best u23 group in the league.

I missed that because I stopped reading before that point.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm fine with the ranking. The Avs' top prospect is a work-in-progress, a guy everyone believed was going to be a project, and so far everyone is right. There isn't an ace center or winger prospect, nor are there any top-notch netminders. I don't quite see why being ranked 21st is really an insult.

These team rankings are kinda arbitrary anyway. I remember Hockey's Future always ranking Florida tops (back when Jacob Markstrom was their top prospect). That obviously didn't come to fruition. They oohed and aahed over St. Louis's system too. That DID bear some fruit, but not to the point the prognosticators were hoping either. In the end it's one very big educated guess.

When this organization finally has an AHL team that's not completely worthless and an actual, honest-to-goodness pipeline, then I'll complain about a "low" ranking. Sakic & Co. deserve a lot of praise for getting things on the right track, but they all had a HUGE hole to dig out of, not to mention Sakic's first draft as the official GM was a complete and utter shitshow.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tried to tell y'all. He wasn't particularly high on most of these prospects in their draft years and Timmins didn't even get a big bump in his overall rankings after his great season and performance at the WJC.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really, really don't get the furor here. Y'all really think the Avs have bolted to the upper tier of prospect base rankings after three or so drafts under Hepple...? I get the ROR/Dutchy trades also added some needed depth but apart from Girard there isn't a truly wow-worthy prospect (I'm as hopeful as the rest of you that Bowers turns out to be a stud but we're a long way from that).

I'll admit I don't agree with his rankings of the prospects themselves past Timmins, but I don't really see anything in there concerning his analysis that's way off. Admittedly I don't study prospects the same way a lot of the rest of you do but based on what I've read/gleaned off other sources and here, nothing he says is truly WTF.

And I absolutely love this after the ridiculous amount of hand-wringing about Kamenev's skating:

"His speed isn’t bad, but it’s just decent."

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Zadorov doesn't have a good rep around the league among journalists. I don't know why exactly but it's like that...even Bob McKenzie nearly called him a bust when referring to the ROR trade last year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really, really don't get the furor here. Y'all really think the Avs have bolted to the upper tier of prospect base rankings after three or so drafts under Hepple...? I get the ROR/Dutchy trades also added some needed depth but apart from Girard there isn't a truly wow-worthy prospect (I'm as hopeful as the rest of you that Bowers turns out to be a stud but we're a long way from that).

I'll admit I don't agree with his rankings of the prospects themselves past Timmins, but I don't really see anything in there concerning his analysis that's way off. Admittedly I don't study prospects the same way a lot of the rest of you do but based on what I've read/gleaned off other sources and here, nothing he says is truly WTF.

And I absolutely love this after the ridiculous amount of hand-wringing about Kamenev's skating:

"His speed isn’t bad, but it’s just decent."
But it’s not just prospects. It’s u-23. Nathan Mackinnon and Mikko Rantanen are the first two names on his list.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Pronman had the Avs ranked 21st in the Summer of 2016 when they had Rantannen, Jost, and Compher in their system. No biggie in the end.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No need to be offended at one guy’s opinion. I disagree, but Pronman has his reasons and explainations. In the end it is just an opinion.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Someone on the main board a while ago compared Pronman's success with Button's over the years and Button was eating him for breakfast. I'm trying to find it but not luck.

Accidentally while looking for it I found Pronman's 2013 draft final rankings:

1. Jonathan Drouin, Left Wing, Halifax-QMJHL*
2. Nathan MacKinnon, Center, Halifax-QMJHL*
3. Seth Jones, Defense, Portland-WHL*
4. Valeri Nichushkin, Right Wing, Traktor-KHL*
5. Aleksander Barkov, Center, Tappara-SM-Liiga*

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs will always be low on prospect rankings because they spend zero time and political capital hyping up their guys. Everyone in the hockey media is affected by this constant bombardment of hype, and it colors their opinions.

Honestly I think some in the hockey media have a bias against the Avs because they don't help them do their jobs for them. They actually have to study prospects and their skills/weaknesses/accomplishments on their own and this takes time they don't want to spend.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs will always be low on prospect rankings because they spend zero time and political capital hyping up their guys. Everyone in the hockey media is affected by this constant bombardment of hype, and it colors their opinions.

Honestly I think some in the hockey media have a bias against the Avs because they don't help them do their jobs for them. They actually have to study prospects and their skills/weaknesses/accomplishments on their own and this takes time they don't want to spend.
The Avs KGB ways of doing things also pisses them(media) off. The Edmonton media absolutely hate the Avs aha. Dean Millard calling the Avs cheap for not giving into ROR and how the Avs got it Oz style with no vaseline in the deal. That trade with Buffalo looking damn good for the Avs at the moment.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs KGB ways of doing things also pisses them(media) off. The Edmonton media absolutely hate the Avs aha. Dean Millard calling the Avs cheap for not giving into ROR and how the Avs got it Oz style with no vaseline in the deal. That trade with Buffalo looking damn good for the Avs at the moment.

Oz style, haha. Underrated show back in the day.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Not sure why rankings like these even matter. Results are the only thing that matters, and none of us knows where the team will be in a few years. It's only fodder for the silly war being waged on the main boards, where the most important thing seems to be gaining the approval of other teams' fans.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Screenshot_2018-08-13-12-18-25.png
Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->